Just Fine 2012-10-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Mark N

Re: Just Fine 2012-10-01

Post by Mark N »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:Also, folks, if I read my Google fu correctly, this was the first day of The Last Sun, which will set on the Winter Solstice, and will not return.
BTW, this is the Age of the Jaguar, yes?
(Based on the most popular interpretation of the Maya Calendar. Or it may have already happened, won't happen for a thousand-odd years, or in a couple millenia. Mileage based on EPA estimates, yours may vary.)
Yes, it's so good that the world is about to end so we can get rid of this "the world is about to end" nonsense. Of course, not long after we make it to January 1, 2013, someone (who has a vested interested in keeping the myth going) will present an explanation as to why we are all still alive and doing just as good as ever. Something like,

HEADLINE: Man Discovers Flaw in Mayan Calendar Calculation!
It seems there was a mistake and two numbers were transposed. Instead of 2012, it's really 2021. Farquat Fleaspit, self-made muti-millionaire and well known expert on the doomsday predictions regarding the Mayan calendar, said Wednesday that he realized the error while looking at the date in a mirror. Since it's clear that the Mayan scholars were really people from a dimension which mirrored our own, it made perfect sense. He will be coming out with a book detailing his findings later in the month. This will make his 137th book on the subject, to be followed by a series of videos and a lecture tour to spread the word of the new discovery. When asked why the mirrored date could not also be interpreted as 2102 he replied, "What? Who's the expert here, me or you? Buy my book. It'll all be clear to you then." Before another question could be asked, he continued, "Of course, if the unthinkable occurs and it actually is 2102, you can rest assured, I will get to the bottom of it and present the facts in a new series of books. But, as far as I'm concerned the 2021 date is fact. You can take that to the bank. I certainly will."
I am betting that they will roll the date to 2029 when the near earth crossing asteroid Apophis makes it's close call to the Earth or 2036 when it makes its next one.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Wouldn't a pocket elf actually be a fairy? Like Tinkerbell. Of course, not all fairies are as nice as Tink.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Wouldn't a pocket elf actually be a fairy? Like Tinkerbell. Of course, not all fairies are as nice as Tink.
Reminds me of the Tooth-fairies from the second Hellboy live action film.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Opus the Poet wrote:You know you would think that someone would have said something about M's hair turning white...
The intense light trying to leave her brain pan was using her hair like fiber optic lines in thier escape attempt? If we could get her to touch a Van de Graaff generator it would look like one of those 'light sculptures' that Spencer Gifts used to sell...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Wouldn't a pocket elf actually be a fairy? Like Tinkerbell. Of course, not all fairies are as nice as Tink.
Which is funny...because Tink was a bit of a bitch (if you're going by Peter Pan standards...not the Tinkerbell franchise that Disney decided to create).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Amethyst Shadow

Post by Amethyst Shadow »

wait... what?!

I don't even...

What the hell is going on?
"There is no true equity of power. There is only more and less."
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Julie wrote:
Which is funny...because Tink was a bit of a bitch (if you're going by Peter Pan standards...not the Tinkerbell franchise that Disney decided to create).
Not sure if you're talking about the original book or the original Peter Pan movie by Disney. I've never read the book, but you're right. As I recall she even tried to kill Wendy by luring her to the mermaids or some such. I think they gleefully said something like "we were only trying to drown her" when Peter rescued her from them. Nice cheerful psycho fish-girls. I guess I am going more by the Tinkerbell movies, which I really like. Now, if the fairy-girls would just fight each other to the death from time to time, they would be perfect.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Julie wrote:
Not sure if you're talking about the original book or the original Peter Pan movie by Disney. I've never read the book, but you're right. As I recall she even tried to kill Wendy by luring her to the mermaids or some such. I think they gleefully said something like "we were only trying to drown her" when Peter rescued her from them. Nice cheerful psycho fish-girls. I guess I am going more by the Tinkerbell movies, which I really like. Now, if the fairy-girls would just fight each other to the death from time to time, they would be perfect.
That's what was missing! I sat through the first, I think, Tinkerbell movie with a friends daughter and knew that it needed a little something more... :lol:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Julie wrote:
So would that be a Tinker Games movie? *dodges the rotten tomatoes flying this way and pays the Pun Vault a stuffed Fozzy the Bear toy*
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

In light of the events of the following strips, I'm thinking Shelley's definition of "fine" is a bit different than everyone elses'.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Is Shelly related to Ford Prefect?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber