Just Fine 2012-10-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
davids4250

Re: Just Fine 2012-10-01

Post by davids4250 »

Dave wrote: Whether the whole third panel is just a nightmare... well, it's certainly possible... but this would not be the first time a nightmare served as a trigger.
I was thinking along those lines myself. Whether or not this is real or a nightmare, it is a turning point for M.

As for an earlier comment about Euryale being the expert about being frozen, that is true, but how many people has she frozen and thawed three times? If M had reacted normally to this third freezing, I would agree that it probably had nothing to do with today's reaction, but she was out of it from the start, and Euryale had no chance to comment because Bud yelled at her.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

She will be just "fine"
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. :lol:
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Avenger_Reloaded

Post by Avenger_Reloaded »

Don't you hate when your dreams burn the room down.

Wait...what? :o
Myths which are believed in tend to become true. -George Orwell
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Julie wrote:
wratgaf wrote:Hmmmmm, When did Monica acquire laser death ray eyes?
She's had the eye-lights at least since she went hunting for Tina in the basement of the coffee shop. :) I think that's the first time we saw them appear at least...
And, as i recall, she was rather startled by them.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Leak wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:On the whole of it, I think I'd rather shoot fireballs out of my eyes... :shock:
Yeah, because that always goes so well... :D
It reminds me of a line from Alphas, when Nina Theroux replies to an inquiry that, "Laser beams? Yeah, we shoot them right out of our eyes!"
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

rootwalla wrote:Ho-kay! That'll leave a mark... somewhere.

The eye lights make reading in bed easier tho'... just sayin'.
As long as you have asbestos-paper books.

As for setting the room on fire at night, L.E. Modesitt's The Imager Portfolio series has just that problem, especially when imagers are learning their control.
Leak

Post by Leak »

bmonk wrote:
Leak wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:On the whole of it, I think I'd rather shoot fireballs out of my eyes... :shock:
Yeah, because that always goes so well... :D
It reminds me of a line from Alphas, when Nina Theroux replies to an inquiry that, "Laser beams? Yeah, we shoot them right out of our eyes!"
Are you sure that Hicks doesn't at least have an infrared laser scope built-in? :)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

You know you would think that someone would have said something about M's hair turning white...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

davids4250 wrote:something I've been wondering about for a while (since Shelly revealed that Mon is a Jaguar Girl, http://wapsisquare.com/comic/jaguar-girl/). How did Shelly know this? As far as we know, she has had fairly limited access to other paranormals, especially those who would know about Monica's abilities, so how does sho know that "... there are creatures who look at you as one of the more dangerous beings"? With the fire and eye lights, I would agree - not to mention the GGG, but where did Shelly learn this? I suspect she has had further contact with Phix in the intervening two weeks, maybe?
The same way Shelly recognized what the dogs were when she first took Justin to the library, and that they were about to breathe fire before they even began. Shelly's mind may be reset back to pre-forest Shelly as far as mannerisms and behaviors, but she still retains all the knowledge she accrued during the 80k years as Shellynx.
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

i think her powers just hit there full powa mode and trying to work off the excess energy that was building up.

and i have to say 2 eyes by sea, 1 fire hand by land
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Opus the Poet wrote:You know you would think that someone would have said something about M's hair turning white...
What... your friends don't fluoresce brightly when emitting UV from their eye-lights during moments of extreme nightmare stress?

It's one of those situations such as are seen at around 3:50 in this segment... a socially-awkward moment that is best politely ignored.
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

Dave wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:You know you would think that someone would have said something about M's hair turning white...
What... your friends don't fluoresce brightly when emitting UV from their eye-lights during moments of extreme nightmare stress?

It's one of those situations such as are seen at around 3:50 in this segment... a socially-awkward moment that is best politely ignored.
only when its dead relative that the only time my hair goes white and my eyes shoot beams of "oh hell your dead lights on to person that not supposed to be walking around the house!"
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Don't you just hate those mornings when you wake up ON FIRE!! And to top it off your eye lights are going full blast, running down your batteries.
I know what you mean... And the worse part is that depending on where you are at the time, it may take hours before you find someone who can give you a boost...
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

I just remembered....

Jack-Jack Attacks! Actually, more like the climax scene in the main movie (Syndrome attempts to kidnap Jack-Jack)

So, would we call this 'Mon-Mon Freaks Out!' ?
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

NOTDilbert wrote:I just remembered....

Jack-Jack Attacks! Actually, more like the climax scene in the main movie (Syndrome attempts to kidnap Jack-Jack)

So, would we call this 'Mon-Mon Freaks Out!' ?
One of my favorite Pixar movies and it's short <3
ImageImage
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

NOTDilbert wrote:Also, folks, if I read my Google fu correctly, this was the first day of The Last Sun, which will set on the Winter Solstice, and will not return.
BTW, this is the Age of the Jaguar, yes?
(Based on the most popular interpretation of the Maya Calendar. Or it may have already happened, won't happen for a thousand-odd years, or in a couple millenia. Mileage based on EPA estimates, yours may vary.)
Yes, it's so good that the world is about to end so we can get rid of this "the world is about to end" nonsense. Of course, not long after we make it to January 1, 2013, someone (who has a vested interested in keeping the myth going) will present an explanation as to why we are all still alive and doing just as good as ever. Something like,

HEADLINE: Man Discovers Flaw in Mayan Calendar Calculation!
It seems there was a mistake and two numbers were transposed. Instead of 2012, it's really 2021. Farquat Fleaspit, self-made muti-millionaire and well known expert on the doomsday predictions regarding the Mayan calendar, said Wednesday that he realized the error while looking at the date in a mirror. Since it's clear that the Mayan scholars were really people from a dimension which mirrored our own, it made perfect sense. He will be coming out with a book detailing his findings later in the month. This will make his 137th book on the subject, to be followed by a series of videos and a lecture tour to spread the word of the new discovery. When asked why the mirrored date could not also be interpreted as 2102 he replied, "What? Who's the expert here, me or you? Buy my book. It'll all be clear to you then." Before another question could be asked, he continued, "Of course, if the unthinkable occurs and it actually is 2102, you can rest assured, I will get to the bottom of it and present the facts in a new series of books. But, as far as I'm concerned the 2021 date is fact. You can take that to the bank. I certainly will."
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:Also, folks, if I read my Google fu correctly, this was the first day of The Last Sun, which will set on the Winter Solstice, and will not return.
BTW, this is the Age of the Jaguar, yes?
(Based on the most popular interpretation of the Maya Calendar. Or it may have already happened, won't happen for a thousand-odd years, or in a couple millenia. Mileage based on EPA estimates, yours may vary.)
Yes, it's so good that the world is about to end so we can get rid of this "the world is about to end" nonsense. Of course, not long after we make it to January 1, 2013, someone (who has a vested interested in keeping the myth going) will present an explanation as to why we are all still alive and doing just as good as ever.....
Yeah, earlier this year or late last year came this embarrassed cough from the back of the May Caledar Doom room, where they announced that this was only one interpretation of the date and only one interpretation of the outcome. Just like back when, ya know, the Solar System was destroyed by the Planetary Allignment thingey....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Everytime somebody mentions the Mayan Calendar, I think of that Bizarro comic. "HA! That'll freak somebody out someday!"
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

This strip is highly reminiscent of a scene from the first Hellboy movie. Funny how the movies I've been watching suddenly seem relevant to my webcomic reading.
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

When you wake up in the morning with your bed on fire, and your eyes to shiny to see.
Go on and cry in your custard, but don't come poitin' to me.
You had to be a Jaguar, did ya?