Figured That Out 2016-11-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Figured That Out 2016-11-03

Post by AmriloJim »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/figured-that-out/

I think 'Sali and the widdle pwant are distracting Castel from the answers she seeks.
DilyV

Re: Figured That Out 2016-11-03

Post by DilyV »

I wonder when Pickle will understand that she can't interact with what she's seeing... If I'm not mistaken this is more along the line of an ultra realistic holographic projection...

This playback is about to get tragically interesting...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AmriloJim wrote:I think 'Sali and the widdle pwant are distracting Castel from the answers she seeks.
Distractions won't matter much, I think... the answers are about to arrive with the awful inevitability of a train wreck.

To very slightly misquote Zelazny in "Lord of Light": the fit is about to hit the Shan.

(That was his dreadful pun, guys, not mine. I can almost see him chuckling as he wrote the whole character and subplot of the Shan of Irabek into the story, just for that purpose. I never got the chance to meet him at a con, but if I had I would definitely offered to buy him a beverage of his choice for doing what he did. That, and the tyiga demon in the Amber stories.)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

AmriloJim wrote:http://wapsisquare.com/comic/figured-that-out/

I think 'Sali and the widdle pwant are distracting Castel from the answers she seeks.
'Sali and widdle pwant ARE the answers she seeks.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Paul has a knack for gut punches, eh?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Well, this is interesting. The plant won't stay in the pot? Castella was mobile already?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Opus the Poet wrote:Well, this is interesting. The plant won't stay in the pot? Castella was mobile already?
as well as poking noses and eating brownies.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

So our young sprout has been in the house long enough for the two of them to become playmates of a sort. But from the call to daddy it looks like the substitution has been discovered back at the lab. Yeah, we're about to see that grim day play out (how bloody it gets 'onscreen' is anybody's guess).
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

oldmanmickey wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:Well, this is interesting. The plant won't stay in the pot? Castella was mobile already?
as well as poking noses and eating brownies.
And apparently covering ear-analogues as well, judging from frame three.

Eating brownies is possible, but not certain . . . A'sawi may have been eating for both of them.

Hmm . . . I wonder if the good guys realized that Castela/Wittle Pwant had been in the house? The way that's written isn't completely definite if "where it should be" is there or somewhere else.

--FreeFlier
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

My rational brain is telling me calmly not to let myself be vulnerable because the strike team is about to swoop in guns blazing... but my heart won't hear of it and just keeps going "AWWWWWWWWW THEY WERE SISTERS ALREADY!"
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

This is the sort of consequence you get when you practice a full embargo on "what really happened." If they had practiced a managed leak of "what really happened", this would probably have been less traumatic.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I wonder, if we hadn't already been shown what happened to Atsali's parents, would it have been more shocking to show us what happened as Castela learns it?

I can't really remember, though, was it originally presented to us as a resurfacing memory?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:I wonder, if we hadn't already been shown what happened to Atsali's parents, would it have been more shocking to show us what happened as Castela learns it?
I think that depends on just what she sees.

We've been told (or at least led very strongly to believe) that Atsali's parents were killed by the attackers, but we weren't actually shown their death, or their dead bodies. So, we may see something more shocking than what we've seen before.
Alkarii wrote:I can't really remember, though, was it originally presented to us as a resurfacing memory?
I believe it was an authorial flashback, rather than any one person's memory. We saw several sets of scenes (Leucoisa and Atsali together, Leucoisa and some of the attackers, Atsali alone in the locked safe-room, and then Leucoisa's coworkers including Foxglove). As far as I can tell, there was no single living person present at all of those locations, so it can't be a resurfacing memory from any one person.
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:I believe it was an authorial flashback, rather than any one person's memory. We saw several sets of scenes (Leucoisa and Atsali together, Leucoisa and some of the attackers, Atsali alone in the locked safe-room, and then Leucoisa's coworkers including Foxglove). As far as I can tell, there was no single living person present at all of those locations, so it can't be a resurfacing memory from any one person.
It was a truly evil author, letting us think we'd seen the worst, felt the strongest feels ... and also making sure we know what Castela doesn't - what's about to happen and what she's about to see - so we can suffer even more this time.

Brilliant.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Armorlord

Post by Armorlord »

What if the family room with Atsali and Castela in it is not the nursery that the agents speak of the Blackthorn still being in?
What if Castela is abandoned there because the only living person that knows she is there is a broken Atsali?

Or the Foxglove knew about her through whatever creepy-mumbo jumbo she does and had her secreted away?

Or a step worse where the bad guys had tried to force Atsali to give up where Castela was, killed her parents in front of her, took Castela anyway, and was then she was abandoned when her kidnappers' heads left for the senate floor?
"Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience." -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:Distractions won't matter much, I think... the answers are about to arrive with the awful inevitability of a train wreck.
Well, maybe the Library can distract Castela by revealing how the Fae who she tortured and killed when at the orphanage was actually there to keep her safe. . .
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
Dave wrote:Distractions won't matter much, I think... the answers are about to arrive with the awful inevitability of a train wreck.
Well, maybe the Library can distract Castela by revealing how the Fae who she tortured and killed when at the orphanage was actually there to keep her safe. . .
... which will make her feel oh so much better about life, the Universe, and everything ... :roll:
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
... which will make her feel oh so much better about life, the Universe, and everything ... :roll:
Leading to Castela-age-seventeen-who-has-Issues.
seventeen.gif
seventeen.gif (43.01 KiB) Viewed 10986 times
But i can't imagine her turning on Atsali or Katherine.

=============

Predat or Bevvie?
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I cant see her turning on them either but i can see her thinking herself a monster and bring death to those that try to take care of her or help her.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

oldmanmickey wrote:I cant see her turning on them either but i can see her thinking herself a monster and bring death to those that try to take care of her or help her.
And THAT'S why Phix got Lily out of the way by asking her to go to her study, most probably Phix's version of a "Panic Room", that's out of the way and heavily fortified... while she herself cannot be injured in her Library she's OK, and the Library itself... well, it's self-repairing and the books go POOF when angry thoughts are around, so THEY should also be OK when Pickle FINALLY flips out and gets pissed at everyone and everything and goes on a Captain Smartypants Super Villain Rampage...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac