Why Are You Looking 2016-10-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Why Are You Looking 2016-10-28

Post by jwhouk »

Linky Linky

And Phix asks the one question Castela never thought to ask.
Last edited by jwhouk on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Re: Why Are You Looking 2016-10-28

Post by lake_wrangler »

Boy, you're quick... Haven't even had time to read it
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I try. ;)

We have a cliffhanger, though.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

And I'm back.

I'm glad Phix is asking that question. I'm guessing she knows some of what happened, if not all, and doesn't want Pickle to know if she's going to use it in a harmful way, or something...

Phix wrote:I think I left a kettle on in there.
Cute. :lol:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Thing is, I think Phix knows the answer to the question that Castela just asked.

"How F'ed up is it? Well, your parents didn't abandon you, because they were killed, too. And that's because... they were Atsali's parents."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I took it that Pickle was saying that Pickle saying that to her sister was effed up . . .

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

FreeFlier wrote:I took it that Pickle was saying that Pickle saying that to her sister was effed up . . .

--FreeFlier
I agree.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Ah the precocious age where they start to realize that life is not all about themselves.
So much to Learn, but some of it you might not be ready for.
I love tanta Phix, so strong and scary, yet tender and caring with the little ones
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:Thing is, I think Phix knows the answer to the question that Castela just asked.

"How F'ed up is it? Well, your parents didn't abandon you, because they were killed, too. And that's because... they were Atsali's parents."
No - her "parents" were part of the shadow agency that sent the killers after Atsali and her parents.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

She needs to learn that you need to be sure you really want to know the answer to the questions you're asking.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Armorlord

Post by Armorlord »

I'm going to scuttle my previous guess that Phix didn't know. She may even know more than Lily.
"Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience." -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

And g'ma Lily just set a new land speed record getting to that study and out of there. I expect that the file in question is on her desk for Lily to "find". Now we just have to find out the answer to the question posed to the little stinkweed, the eternal why.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

The unseen dynamic here...
- Phix sits Lily on the bench for this series of downs
- Lily knows Phix has some, if not all, of the background
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

oldmanmickey wrote:And g'ma Lily just set a new land speed record getting to that study and out of there. I expect that the file in question is on her desk for Lily to "find". Now we just have to find out the answer to the question posed to the little stinkweed, the eternal why.
You really think so? I don't think she'll find anything in that study, be it kettle or otherwise. I think Phix was just tactfully (or maybe not so tactfully) saying she wanted a few words alone with Castela, which Lily was more than happy to oblige...
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Lily is still scared, and Phix knows that. Phix also knows this was Castela's project from the beginning, and that's part of the reason why Lily is scared.

And we still have to wait until Monday to find out what's going on between the Library and the MiB.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

A very polite way of saying "Go the #&@$# away".
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I like the idea of there being a folder with additional background meant for G'Ma Lilly on the desk, but for sure we know Tanta Phix is plotting potential chess moves out in advance of the Tumbleweed's arrival.

"Katherine?, one day those kids are going to want to get some questions answered...".

Sounds like a perfect time for a vacation...
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Thing is, I think Phix knows the answer to the question that Castela just asked.

No - her "parents" were part of the shadow agency that sent the killers after Atsali and her parents.
I must have missed that link between Castela's parentals and the shadowy group thingie... can you like to the series of strips that shows that?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Atsali's mom referred to "no more working on weaponizing flowers" in the short series of strips we saw her in. By inference, that means she was part of the group of scientists who "developed" Castela.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Atsali's mom referred to "no more working on weaponizing flowers" in the short series of strips we saw her in. By inference, that means she was part of the group of scientists who "developed" Castela.
And she also told someone (presumably Atsali's father) "I don't care that we worked for them."

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/the-right-thing-2/

It reads to me as if they were indeed part of the shadow-government research group, and had a crisis of conscience which led them to rebel. I can't guess whether they were part of the Castela development itself (and quit) or whether they were in an unrelated part of the organization (and took exception to the Blackthorn-weaponization effort when they learned of it).

In either case, the organization did not react gently when it learned of their rebellion (and, I infer, their decision to abscond with the young Blackthorn child). Rather than gas them into submission and take them captive, the organization sent a team of assassins. I guess there was no room at the hotel in Portmerion.