Yeah That 2012-09-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Yeah That 2012-09-28

Post by jwhouk »

Okay, THAT was unexpected.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Re: Yeah That 2012-09-28

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Okay, THAT was unexpected.
Well, between them, MrFireDragon and analyst and Bathory's Daughter came close.

I don't think anyone twigged to the idea that it was a three-way fakeout-scam, though. Pablo did it to us again!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Okay, THAT was unexpected.
Well, between them, MrFireDragon and analyst and Bathory's Daughter came close.

I don't think anyone twigged to the idea that it was a three-way fakeout-scam, though. Pablo did it to us again!
Not a scam, just a supernatural Cosplay moment. :mrgreen: (With looks like that, the three of them deserve some good coinage for the photo op)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

Hehe. You know, partly or completely OT, I just happened to watch the film Dragonslayer, and I'd forgotten how good it was.
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Heh, it was the old fake slayer scam. Looks like Paul has been watching Dragonheart.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

The old "We'll clean up this town for ya!" scam almost always works better when you bring your own dirt.....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

So, is the Dragon sentient, or a really well-trained pet? Or is this Dietzel's past life?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

It might be the introduction of new characters as well. They look like Shelly and Monica but are not them! Or is Paul just dragon the story line out a bit.

<clunk> One slighty seared serving of dragon tounge in cheek. Or would that be a slip of the tounge?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Paul is good at the WTF moment.
I'll bet those metal breastplates get chilly in the winter. Interesting...
With the satisfied look on Firefart's face, I'd say he is a sentient and fully aware member of the team, even if he does look kinda like a giraffe.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

zachariah wrote:It might be the introduction of new characters as well. They look like Shelly and Monica but are not them! Or is Paul just dragon the story line out a bit.

<clunk> One slighty seared serving of dragon tounge in cheek. Or would that be a slip of the tounge?
Please let this be a flashback, and please let one of them be named Gisaultees.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Perhaps this is what Dietzel's always watching on TV when Monica stumbles home. Must come on just before Sugarbear.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Do we know if Dietzel is a fan of barbarian movies? Either way, something like this could get an audience.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

Yup, that was the very first thing that came to mind... "Oh, that is Dragonheart." So not much of a shock at all. (That and the dragon looks like a mutant giraffe)

In fact as it started to sink in I realized that we are looking at some con artists. They are essentially criminals.
Now, they could have been putting on a show or performance of some type (to give them more back story than we know right now).
If that is the case then they are a traveling side show so their "heroics" are still a put on.

Either way their acts are fake, possibly very dishonest and it simply could be outright fraud mixed with random accosting of townsfolk and property destruction.

This sort of story line typically ends (breaks apart) one of three ways:
1) They grow tired, they grow up or grow a conscience - any way they actually come to realize they are doing a "bad" thing and change. (exposure by guilt)
2) They are called upon to actually do the thing they pretend to do - they must actually kill a dragon and are shown incapable of doing it. (exposure by failure)
3) They are exposed by a third party, typically a child or other "innocent", develop a reputation and must atone somehow. (exposure by atonement)

So there we go, we have the potential for guilt ridden failures trying to atone or fraudulent hucksters bilking the unsuspecting with simulated heroics.
You can see why I am a bit underwhelmed...

If you even get a full copy of Dragonheart, really watch it... the plot is rather odd if you consider it.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Nimrod wrote:You can see why I am a bit underwhelmed...
Is fun not allowed on your planet?

Personally, I had a good laugh over the whole thing. The lack of blood and gore in yesterday's page was a broad hint as to this outcome.

Al
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Hrmpf..
I guess this is a bit of a filler to get the friday-cliffhangers for the coming weeks plotted-out correctly. Great drawing and all, no problem with cheesecake (C'mon, I bought myself the full run of Byrne's She-Hulk, if only for the funny cheese-cake he, invariably, put in. ) but I am actually more interested in the outcome of the Bud/Euriyale altercation.

Maybe M intervenes and defends Euri. (when M's eyes are pointing the right way again, that is) Maybe Euri breaks down and confides in Bud just why she's so unbelievably sunny (most of the time).

As someone already pointed-out, both Bud and Euri have to keep their emotional outbursts in check. Bud could accidentally crush, say, the moon, with rather unpleasant results. (a world without tides......) Euri could possibly freeze complete crowds... And it's unlikely she could kiss an entire town before there's only a lake of melting water left...

There's only óne thing that I hope is nót the case: Pablo has written himself in a corner, and has nó idea how to tie all things together.. Unlikely, but "Writer's Block" is a nasty beasty, and it starts roaring pretty loud when too many threads in a story have become a gordian knot. Plotting, plotting, scratching all of it, plotting again, realizing it's even messier..etc. Ad Infinitum. And in the back of your head the mantra: No ret-conning, please, for the love of the Goddess, no ret-conning..
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Julie

Post by Julie »

davids4250 wrote:I'll bet those metal breastplates get chilly in the winter.
Not only that, but they probably dig into the skin a bit given how much bigger than the cups she is...and the lack of support...ye gods she must either be impervious to pain/discomfort or she's hiding how vastly uncomfortable she is! :shock:
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I first came across the idea of a dragon teaming up with a human to run a dragon-slayer scam in 1980 in a book titled Dragon's of Light edited by Orson Scott Card. The short story The George Business written by none other than Roger Zelazny, was one of my favorites in the book. While Dragonheart treated the concept very well, I would much have preferred a movie based on Zelazny's short story.

I had to go back and forth looking at The Vampire Gals and these girls to see if maybe it was them before they were turned so to speak. I don't think they are, but I'm still open to the possibility.

I'm going to say it again, I like the lighthearted stuff Paul does. He balances the heavy sometimes violent and macabre with the light and funny... sometime even hilarious. What I like even more, is you never know when it's going to happen.

Dragons Of Light
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Hope Paul wasn't Blocked, Theres stuff you can take for that. *clink* When stuck Iguess there are two ways out of a corner: 1, Have the Hero wake up and realise it was a dream. or B,....Do FAN SERVICE! Thank the Stars Paul picks "B". 8-)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I don't grouse/gripe/bitch/moan when Paul does what might pop in his head. This could very well be the equivilant of trying to get a song out of his head by singing it out loud. No telling how long this idea has been bouncing aroung, bouncing around, bouncing around in his head. The only way to deal with it would be to grab a pencil and paper, or stylus and tablet, and draw it out. And it's cool.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Nimrod wrote:In fact as it started to sink in I realized that we are looking at some con artists. They are essentially criminals.
Now, they could have been putting on a show or performance of some type (to give them more back story than we know right now).
If that is the case then they are a traveling side show so their "heroics" are still a put on.

Either way their acts are fake, possibly very dishonest and it simply could be outright fraud mixed with random accosting of townsfolk and property destruction.

This sort of story line typically ends (breaks apart) one of three ways:
1) They grow tired, they grow up or grow a conscience - any way they actually come to realize they are doing a "bad" thing and change. (exposure by guilt)
2) They are called upon to actually do the thing they pretend to do - they must actually kill a dragon and are shown incapable of doing it. (exposure by failure)
3) They are exposed by a third party, typically a child or other "innocent", develop a reputation and must atone somehow. (exposure by atonement)

So there we go, we have the potential for guilt ridden failures trying to atone or fraudulent hucksters bilking the unsuspecting with simulated heroics.
You can see why I am a bit underwhelmed...
Actually, we've seen "flashback" story-telling from Paul before in order to properly introduce new characters (i.e. Bia), so it's possible that we won't see too much of this (unless in Wapsi world there are still outlying villages that are attacked by dragons that don't question the appearance of barbarian-looking babes with swords).

And you have a very harsh view of these ladies and their dragon given how little we know of them. They may have a much different cultural perspective (the way Phix's killing of Miss 'Splodey-Head wasn't murder by sphinx-standards), so they might not realize that what they're doing could be perceived as "wrong." Heck, that kind of cultural difference is what made things problematic for gypsies.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."