That Four Letter Word 2016-10-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

That Four Letter Word 2016-10-11

Post by Dave »

OK... I was wrong. The "Spoiled Princess" rule, isn't really a rule.

The actual rule is "Never stand by Monica Villarreal when cool weather approaches."

And, Gyrrakavian wins yesterday's office pool. You can pick up your winnings at the office, once they've plowed and salted the sidewalk.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/that-four-letter-word/
Last edited by Dave on Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Armorlord

Re: That Four Letter Word 2016-10-11

Post by Armorlord »

Beat me by a moment.

Snow, snow never changes.
"Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience." -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

AA yes the wonderful snow of Minnesota. Even 30 years later it still causes me to shutter. But all i can say is i tried to warn the oldest son not to move his family up there from Cali. This is their first fall and are happily waiting for the winter to come. Nono Mickey you lived in the Dakotas, its different here. We know just what its going to be like, we vacationed at Big Bear this last winter to get a good idea. Oh nonono we wont need a block heater we have indoor parking. I just hope they dont run into Monica on their way for morning coffee.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

The shopping mall was invented in Minnesota - because there are (on average) only 126 good shopping days in a year.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Okay but everything about Atsali and Nadette is just adorable on this page, I love those two so much
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

There it is.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:The actual rule is "Never stand by Monica Villarreal when cool weather approaches."
I think the rule is more like: never stand close to Monica, while discussing how nice the pre, or post winter weather is. Unless you're Jaqui.

(The links are all consecutive, in the comic... I didn't have time to search for more examples)

The other rule is, don't taunt the weather.

But winter is a safe season.

(So I did take the time, after all. But I don't have time to find the last one I was looking for, where Monica and Jin are on the island, and they discuss how the weather attacks Monica personally...)
illiad

Post by illiad »

yep the weather god just loves 'messing' with Monica...
It was Shelly's fault for being 'overconfident' - she had not noticed the ice patch... :)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:The shopping mall was invented in Minnesota - because there are (on average) only 126 good shopping days in a year.
The shopping mall was invented in Mesquite TX, with the draw that "they airconditioned the sidewalks!" It was torn down a few years ago because building such a large structure and making it last a long time wasn't as well understood then as it is now and the structure was getting dangerously shabby. It was quite the thing when it was new.

EDIT: we were both wrong, Wisconsin was first https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopping_mall Big Town in Mesquite didn't open until 4 years later.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Opus the Poet wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:The shopping mall was invented in Minnesota - because there are (on average) only 126 good shopping days in a year.
The shopping mall was invented in Mesquite TX, with the draw that "they airconditioned the sidewalks!" It was torn down a few years ago because building such a large structure and making it last a long time wasn't as well understood then as it is now and the structure was getting dangerously shabby. It was quite the thing when it was new.

EDIT: we were both wrong, Wisconsin was first https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopping_mall Big Town in Mesquite didn't open until 4 years later.
The next sentence after the one that mentions the Wisconsin one says
The idea of a regionally-sized, fully enclosed shopping complex was pioneered in 1956 by the Austrian-born architect and American immigrant Victor Gruen.[20] This new generation of regional-size shopping centers began with the Gruen-designed Southdale Center, which opened in the Twin Cities suburb of Edina, Minnesota, United States in October 1956. For pioneering the soon-to-be enormously popular mall concept in this form, Gruen has been called the "most influential architect of the twentieth century" by Malcolm Gladwell.
From the Wikipedia article on Southdale:
Southdale Center, colloquially known as Southdale, is a shopping mall located in Edina, Minnesota, a suburb of the Twin Cities. It opened in 1956 and is one of the oldest fully enclosed malls, and the first climate-controlled one, in the United States.
which, i'd say, makes it the first true modern mall.

And, as i said, it was built in response to the tendency for the weather in the Twin Cities to not be particularly salubrious for shopping roughly two-thirds of the year.

And the reason i know about it, and that "only-126-days-of-good-shopping-weather" is that i just ran across an online piece about it, in honour of its sixtieth anniversary last Friday. (Which i can't find now.)

EDIT: to fix brain fart.
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

And Wikipedia describes the Northgate Mall, north of Seattle, as "one of the first post-war, suburban mall-type shopping centers in the United States" when it opened in 1950.

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

Also, Valley Fair (with 55 stores and services at its peak) is one-level, opened with six stores, and was 265,000 square feet at its peak, whereas Southland is three-level, 800,000 square feet at opening (1,300,000 these days) and opened with 72 stores.

This is Valley Fair in 2012:

This is Southdale (date unknown, but the Saturn display says it had to be pre-2009)

AnotherFairportfan

FreeFlier wrote:And Wikipedia describes the Northgate Mall, north of Seattle, as "one of the first post-war, suburban mall-type shopping centers in the United States" when it opened in 1950.

--FreeFlier
That article says that Northgate wasn't even partially enclosed until 1962, while Southgate was fully enclosed from the beginning.
The "Miracle Mall" concourse had been partially enclosed with a "SkyShield" structure in 1962. This was replaced in 1973-1974, with the mall corridor being fully enclosed.
It was originally a bunch of stores built in one place, with a central (open walkway), single floor, basically just a big open-air shopping center:

Southgate was the first modern fully-enclosed, multi-story mall that designed that way from the beginning.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Nah, I much prefer Nicolette Mall! :)
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/a-warning/
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

illiad wrote:Nah, I much prefer Nicolet Mall! :)
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/a-warning/
FTFY.

Nicolet Avenue is named for one of the early French explorers who visited the convergence of the Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

FreeFlier wrote:And Wikipedia describes the Northgate Mall, north of Seattle, as "one of the first post-war, suburban mall-type shopping centers in the United States" when it opened in 1950.

--FreeFlier
i went there a lot to see movies at the theater while i was in the Navy up in Everette, that is, until they tore it down. but while it was still there i was told by some native Seattlites that the Northgate mall was the first Mall to have a movie theater attached (or maybe just on the lot but in a separate building/ or whatever)

I'm not sure about the accuracy of that statement though...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

scantrontb wrote:
i went there a lot to see movies at the theater while i was in the Navy up in Everette, that is, until they tore it down.
Tore what down? :?

Northgate is still there, as is the much-closer Everett mall.

scantrontb wrote: . . . but while it was still there i was told by some native Seattlites that the Northgate mall was the first Mall to have a movie theater attached (or maybe just on the lot but in a separate building/ or whatever)

The Northgate Theater was a separate building . . . Everett and Alderwood malls put them in the mall itself, though eventually the theater at Everett Mall moved out to the west, then back in . . .

--FreeFlier
illiad

Post by illiad »

jwhouk: thnx 8-)
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

FreeFlier wrote:Tore what down? :?

Northgate is still there, as is the much-closer Everett mall.
oh yeah i know the MALL is still there, but they tore down the theater a long time ago to remodel the whole mall as a more modern /upscale place. the new theater is ridiculously expensive now... i went there ONCE, and for a matinee on a weekday it was like 12 or 13 bucks JUST for the ticket for a regular 2D movie... sorry, i'll go to the Commons Mall theater for 8.50 or to the 2-buck theater across the street from the Commons Mall when i see a movie now-days, (especially since i live there in Federal Way now :D )

FreeFlier wrote:
scantrontb wrote: . . . but while it was still there i was told by some native Seattlites that the Northgate mall was the first Mall to have a movie theater attached (or maybe just on the lot but in a separate building/ or whatever)

The Northgate Theater was a separate building . . . Everett and Alderwood malls put them in the mall itself, though eventually the theater at Everett Mall moved out to the west, then back in . . .

--FreeFlier
right... i was referring to the statement that the N.G.M. possibly had the first movie theater ON THE LOT itself, rather than the theater just being "near-by" the Mall on separate property like others in that era. and THAT was what i wasn't sure about...

on a slightly tangent topic: from your knowledge of the area's malls, etc... are you local(-ish) to Washington?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

scantrontb wrote: . . . on a slightly tangent topic: from your knowledge of the area's malls, etc... are you local(-ish) to Washington?
I could tell you that, but then I'd have to kill you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wolf-who-watches wrote: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

--FreeFlier