Heard It All Before 2012-09-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

Heard It All Before 2012-09-25

Post by shadowinthelight »

Then she wouldn't be able to "accidentally" freeze Monica and have to thaw her out, Bud. ;)
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
NOTDilbert

Re: Heard It All Before 2012-09-25

Post by NOTDilbert »

You'd have to raid my cousins' daughters' Barbie House to get enough sunglasses for all the little snakelets....and could she live with all that cool..... :ugeek:
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

While I agree with Bud that Euryale should have better control over her freeze stare, especially after a few thousand years, I think Bud is being a little too judgmental. She's the one who helped to destroy a civilization, deserved or not.
I still think that being frozen three times has had an effect on Monica. Perhaps this will lead to her developing her powers more.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

davids4250 wrote:While I agree with Bud that Euryale should have better control over her freeze stare, especially after a few thousand years, I think Bud is being a little too judgmental. She's the one who helped to destroy a civilization, deserved or not.
I still think that being frozen three times has had an effect on Monica. Perhaps this will lead to her developing her powers more.
Or at least chilling out some...

(leaves two sets of 'whiskey stones' on the Pun Vault's bar top)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
ShadOBabe

Post by ShadOBabe »

davids4250 wrote:While I agree with Bud that Euryale should have better control over her freeze stare, especially after a few thousand years, I think Bud is being a little too judgmental. She's the one who helped to destroy a civilization, deserved or not.
True. But she was kind of in a psychotic rage when that happened and only did that once. I know, saying "only destroyed a civilization ONCE" doesn't sound like a very good argument, but seriously, Euryale keeps doing the freezy thing over and over again to poor Monica. We know it's an accident and she does fix it, but she's got to get that under control.
as363

Post by as363 »

Ooooh - Snarky - arn't we..
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

I feel bad seeing Bud make Euryale feel so ashamed. She does try so hard to be nice and cheerful to everyone and not the monster she was born. Her fangirl persona is so cute. She tries so hard to fit into human culture. Still, Bud is one of Monica's main guardians. In fact she answers only to Monica. I think it's the "cop" in her coming out. Using blunt language to make her point is an enforcer tactic and mentality. When she has to be, Bud can be an unstoppable enforcer.

What I wonder now, is Euryale afixin' ta go gorgon on everyone? Is she being pushed over the edge into some state we have yet to see? Something explosive that will freeze everyone and everything on the island, looking at her or not. Living being or not. Or, on the other extreme, might she be about to go into seclusion, withdrawing from everyone and everything? Back to some cave somewhere to go back to being the monster of myth. Convinced she will always, no matter how hard she tries, be a feared and loathsome creature. That would be very sad.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
chalcara

Post by chalcara »

As much as I like Euryale, Bud is right.

It's like having that nice friend that reflexivly punches people at full power when they are startled by a loud noise. It might be not so bad at first, you can work around it, that person is your friend, afterall... But sooner or later somebody ends up with a broken nose or a broken neck, because the sudden punch made them fall wrong on the coffe table. No malice intended, but still dangerous for the people around them, and it's that friends responsibility to get that punching reflex under control.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

NOTDilbert wrote:You'd have to raid my cousins' daughters' Barbie House to get enough sunglasses for all the little snakelets....and could she live with all that cool..... :ugeek:
Like this?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

ShadOBabe wrote:I know, saying "only destroyed a civilization ONCE" doesn't sound like a very good argument
And don't you dare mention Amenhotep IV!

Though that gets me thinking. The GGs had their emotions hijacked and reprogrammed into a Titanic machine of destruction.

The Gorgon sisters were said to have been cursed, and the stories humans told were that they were once beautiful and then cursed with monstrous ugliness. But Euryale can will herself as pretty as she likes: The problem is self-control.

So what if... like the Golems... the Gorgons were "cursed" by those with power over them to lose control over their own unique power. Because if the Gorgons' divine lineage makes their form their "natural" state, then a "curse" driving them to the wilderness would have to be something affecting their behaviour.

Something in between Glyph programming and post-hypnotic suggestion. Maybe just trauma. Sounds like the Titans and Olympians can deal out quite a bit of that.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

"Go look in a mirror?" Acacia STOP IT! That would be Suicide wouldn't it? What would Monica say if she heard you suggest someone go Kill themself? Someone that, maybe, Monica considers a friend. Now you've gone and done it, Euryale looks like shes gonna cry, unless something else is going on with that 'weird vibe' comeing from "The HAIR". Think Acacia, (Sorry folks but shes too cute to call "Bud") of what Monica would say or do. ;)
Dave

Post by Dave »

davids4250 wrote:I still think that being frozen three times has had an effect on Monica.
We may be seeing a hint of that in the artwork of today's strip, in the strange appearance of the sky and of Euryale's snakes and hair. The scene may have been drawn as seen through Monica's eyes, and if so it looks as if she's "tripping" a bit.

Hmmm... why the strip title "Heard it all before"? Doesn't seem directly related to what has happened lately or what is being shown, at least not to my sleepy brain at this hour of the morning. Am I missing a reference, or is there a clue of some sort here?
mrsmack

Post by mrsmack »

Dave wrote:Hmmm... why the strip title "Heard it all before"? Doesn't seem directly related to what has happened lately or what is being shown, at least not to my sleepy brain at this hour of the morning. Am I missing a reference, or is there a clue of some sort here?
I presumed they were all insults she's been told before (outside of the comic).
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

mrsmack wrote:
Dave wrote:Hmmm... why the strip title "Heard it all before"? Doesn't seem directly related to what has happened lately or what is being shown, at least not to my sleepy brain at this hour of the morning. Am I missing a reference, or is there a clue of some sort here?
I would tend to concur, as well. I'm guessing it's not the first time (or 3) that Euryale loses control... The question is, was she told that by other people (who would have to be quite gutsy, to dare say that kind of thing to her, unless they were members of the paranormal as well), or has Bud witnessed that kind of accidental behavior from Euryale in the past, and is getting tired of it at this point?

I also have to add, now we know what Bud's expression on Friday meant: shocked and royally ticked off.
Leak

Post by Leak »

Hmmm... looks like Bud has some mad ventriloquist skillz... :D
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

mrsmack wrote:
Yes, that's keeping in line with Euryale being called a wanderer. Instead of guarding temples, she's been told to get lost. A sociable personality being exiled is a cruel burden.

Bud's being harsh: She is both projecting her own guilt at failing to guard Monica, and telling it like it is. But Bud can handle being put in a box for centuries (or thinks she can). Relationships are everything to Euryale, and she'd be fine if she could holster her weapon. I suspect the title means that it's not as simple as that.

Medusa didn't kill herself by looking in a mirror; I'd wager the other technical workarounds don't work either.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Bud ≠ Captain Tactful :(

I love her...really I do, but that was a bit harsh. She should have remembered Shelly's words of wisdom. This scene is also seriously tickling my memory...like we've seen something like this before, but with different characters in the roles....or maybe I'm just crazy. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Aw, poor Eury. But, she has heard it all before, an she may have a comeback or two from centuries of admonishment. Or, it's Bud-sicle Time!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:This scene is also seriously tickling my memory...like we've seen something like this before, but with different characters in the roles....or maybe I'm just crazy. :)
Hmmm. It's a bit like what happened at Mucho Mocha, the first time Nudge came by in humanform... Tina let her anger get the better of her, and nearly demon-influenced Shelly into killing Nudge. Monica read all three of them the riot act, up in midair at about 15,000 feet.

That may not be the only example. What happened here is a recurring theme in Wapsi Square... paranormals are powerful, and have their own dangerous natures which can surface unexpectedly and which do not play by normal human rules and conventions.

It's not so much "power has its price" or "it's a curse as much as a blessing"... these are both very human-centric ways of viewing the situation... it's that paranormals are different (from humans and from each other) and have their own societies and rules which differ from normal human culture and don't necessarily mesh very smoothly with ours.

Tina put it well, when she warned Monica: demons are wild animals and will never be domesticated. The same seems to be true (from the human POV) for sphinxes, and gorgons, and probably others... they may become dear friends but they will never be entirely safe to be around.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Dave wrote: Tina put it well, when she warned Monica: demons are wild animals and will never be domesticated. The same seems to be true (from the human POV) for sphinxes, and gorgons, and probably others... they may become dear friends but they will never be entirely safe to be around.
(Emphasis added.)

And this differs from being humans how?