Heard It All Before 2012-09-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
ShadOBabe

Re: Heard It All Before 2012-09-25

Post by ShadOBabe »

TheDOCTOR wrote:"Go look in a mirror?" Acacia STOP IT! That would be Suicide wouldn't it? What would Monica say if she heard you suggest someone go Kill themself? Someone that, maybe, Monica considers a friend. Now you've gone and done it, Euryale looks like shes gonna cry, unless something else is going on with that 'weird vibe' comeing from "The HAIR". Think Acacia, (Sorry folks but shes too cute to call "Bud") of what Monica would say or do. ;)
Yeah it is harsh, but no harsher than telling someone to "go jump of a bridge" or "drop dead", which many people say on a regular basis every day.
Doesn't mean they necessarily mean it in their heart of hearts. They're just pissed. Bud is one of Monica's protectors. She probably doesn't take kindly to Euryale constantly freezing Monica over and over again. I think the way she sees it is like, "Jeez, will you get a better hold on that power of yours? You've been stuck with those abilities how long and this still continues to happen? Are you slack with it because you can instantly undo it? I certainly don't get that opportunity. If I slip up someone is likely to get killed."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Graybeard wrote:
Dave wrote: Tina put it well, when she warned Monica: demons are wild animals and will never be domesticated. The same seems to be true (from the human POV) for sphinxes, and gorgons, and probably others... they may become dear friends but they will never be entirely safe to be around.
(Emphasis added.)

And this differs from being humans how?
Well, you have a point.

However, when being around the average friendly, cheery, bubbly-little-potted-daisy paranormal is more dangerous and less predictable then hanging out with a hungry Hannibal Lecter or a meth-cranked gang banger, it tends to give one pause. That, I think, is the conflict Monica is facing... her paranormal friends are several (or many!) orders of magnitude more dangerous than the average human.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:
davids4250 wrote:I still think that being frozen three times has had an effect on Monica.
We may be seeing a hint of that in the artwork of today's strip, in the strange appearance of the sky and of Euryale's snakes and hair. The scene may have been drawn as seen through Monica's eyes, and if so it looks as if she's "tripping" a bit.
Yep. Looks a lot like the visual artifacts from a migraine.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

While I agree that Eury definitely needs to learn control, Bud's reaction still seems a bit harsh to me. Then again, she witnessed one of her best friends get frozen solid by someone to whom she isn't as close*; the upset is justified, I suppose.

*reasonably sure this is grammatically proper
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Dave wrote:
Graybeard wrote:
Dave wrote: Tina put it well, when she warned Monica: demons are wild animals and will never be domesticated. The same seems to be true (from the human POV) for sphinxes, and gorgons, and probably others... they may become dear friends but they will never be entirely safe to be around.
(Emphasis added.)

Well, you have a point.

However, when being around the average friendly, cheery, bubbly-little-potted-daisy paranormal is more dangerous and less predictable then hanging out with a hungry Hannibal Lecter or a meth-cranked gang banger, it tends to give one pause. That, I think, is the conflict Monica is facing... her paranormal friends are several (or many!) orders of magnitude more dangerous than the average human.
It's one thing for a Lecter or a Dexter or a real-world serial killer to hide in civil society; it's one thing for human civility break down into cartel culture, or bloody, failed nation-states.

But it's another thing for paranormals to come around in human costume and play pretend.

Don't get me wrong: I think the new island is a great place to let some of these old tensions work themselves out. But there's no reason for the bikinis and deck chairs except to put M at her ease. And it doesn't look like events are allowing that ease to be maintained.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote:However, when being around the average friendly, cheery, bubbly-little-potted-daisy paranormal is more dangerous and less predictable then hanging out with a hungry Hannibal Lecter or a meth-cranked gang banger, it tends to give one pause. That, I think, is the conflict Monica is facing... her paranormal friends are several (or many!) orders of magnitude more dangerous than the average human.
One could also argue that Monica is similarly dangerous--a point made just last week--but that doesn't mean she feels that way, or sees herself in that sort of company.
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

Euryale means well, as Paul indicated over on Facebook. But she does have a bit of the "ditzy southern belle" in her - hm, I wonder if those snakes are yellow.
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

MerchManDan wrote:While I agree that Eury definitely needs to learn control, Bud's reaction still seems a bit harsh to me. Then again, she witnessed one of her best friends get frozen solid by someone to whom she isn't as close*; the upset is justified, I suppose.

*reasonably sure this is grammatically proper
The Grammar Fascist* in me approves.

*Grammar Fascist being Grammar Nazi adjacent but not quite as genocidal
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Random thoughts:
- How many people have the MIB had to "flashy-thingy" because of Euryale?
- Has Bud herself had to deal with Euryale's accidental freezing before? (It sounds like an ongoing argument...)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Graybeard wrote:
(Emphasis added.)

From my experience only in the manner in which they inflict mayhem... And I'm not being jaundiced about humanity, I'm in love with humantity, most of it anyway (Todd Akin you're definitely on The List). It's just that we will never get to the point where people are entirely "tame".
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Opus the Poet wrote: It's just that we will never get to the point where people are entirely "tame".
yeah we will... it'll just take massive daily doses of drugs, ala' THX-1138, or Equilibrium... or maybe the political system that was running things in the Ringworld and Man vs Kzinti Universe, they used various means to achieve it, and for the most part succeeded... until they found that they NEEDED Man to have a bit of conflict to survive, and relaxed the restrictions a bit.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...or just maybe it'll take a complete screwup by a bunch of people who would be better suited to work at Foot Locker instead of being thrust onto a football field in front of millions of viewers.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

instead of sunglasses, Euryale needs the contact lenses that fit under the eyelids. She can do almost anything with those including swimming without worrying they will come out.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Jabberwonky wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:You'd have to raid my cousins' daughters' Barbie House to get enough sunglasses for all the little snakelets....and could she live with all that cool..... :ugeek:
Like this?
Yep! Exactly like that. I love being an inspiration (instead of the usual bad influence).
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:You'd have to raid my cousins' daughters' Barbie House to get enough sunglasses for all the little snakelets....and could she live with all that cool..... :ugeek:
Like this?
Yep! Exactly like that. I love being an inspiration (instead of the usual bad influence).
I certainly wouldn't use that as an example of being a good influence... ;)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dave wrote:
Julie wrote:This scene is also seriously tickling my memory...like we've seen something like this before, but with different characters in the roles....or maybe I'm just crazy. :)
Hmmm. It's a bit like what happened at Mucho Mocha, the first time Nudge came by in humanform... Tina let her anger get the better of her, and nearly demon-influenced Shelly into killing Nudge. Monica read all three of them the riot act, up in midair at about 15,000 feet.

That may not be the only example. What happened here is a recurring theme in Wapsi Square... paranormals are powerful, and have their own dangerous natures which can surface unexpectedly and which do not play by normal human rules and conventions.

It's not so much "power has its price" or "it's a curse as much as a blessing"... these are both very human-centric ways of viewing the situation... it's that paranormals are different (from humans and from each other) and have their own societies and rules which differ from normal human culture and don't necessarily mesh very smoothly with ours.

Tina put it well, when she warned Monica: demons are wild animals and will never be domesticated. The same seems to be true (from the human POV) for sphinxes, and gorgons, and probably others... they may become dear friends but they will never be entirely safe to be around.
I was thinking more along the lines of a serious angry outburst/harsh words from one character to another leaving the other in a wounded silence (or almost silence)...
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

scantrontb wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote: It's just that we will never get to the point where people are entirely "tame".
yeah we will... it'll just take massive daily doses of drugs, ala' THX-1138, or Equilibrium... or maybe the political system that was running things in the Ringworld and Man vs Kzinti Universe, they used various means to achieve it, and for the most part succeeded... until they found that they NEEDED Man to have a bit of conflict to survive, and relaxed the restrictions a bit.
The other side of that is the Reavers in Firefly/Serenity: although 99% of the people were pacified by the drug, the other 1% went berserk. . . .

Alternatively, we could learn to control ourselves and live in peace, as taught in various and sundry religions--Christianity, Buddhism, Jainism come to mind in particular.