Midnight Raid 2016-08-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sgt. Howard

Re: Midnight Raid 2016-08-11

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Alkarii wrote:What's a daith, and why would you pierce it?

Though, I'm more partial to tattoos. I'd like to get another, but between not having the money, having the money for other stuff, and not really interested in going anywhere, it's kind of a back-of-the-shelf thing right now. Mainly because I want to build an AR-10, and pay a few visits to the military surplus store for putting together an AWOL bag.

Daith is part of the inner shell of the ear, the lobe just forward of the canal itself- regarding the AR-15... save yer pennies and get a Ruger Mini-14. Much sturdier creature, designed to be abused, nearly as accurate and less likely to jam under less than ideal circumstances... in short, more of a combat weapon than the AR-15. Also about half the price. Preferably with the synthetic stock. Don't bother with tactical stuff like pickatinny rails and the crap that loads on them... the standard ring sights will serve you just fine. If you HAVE to have accuracy at distance, don't waste your money on anything that fodders 5.56 NATO (.223 Rem) as the MAX effective range is about 450 meters- use something more substantial (I get a real giggle when newsies call the AR-15 a "high powered Rifle") like .30-06, .308, 8mm Mauser., .303 Brit or 7.62x 54R.
Just my $ .02 worth...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

What does Big Bird mean by "family style"?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:What does Big Bird mean by "family style"?
Enough to feed a family, on one plate, served to one person. Also known as "'Murican", "Texas-Sized" or, in extreme cases, Alaska-sized.

(In Alaska, if something is Texas-sized, it's small)
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hmmm. In Chinese restaurants, "family style" means that you don't get one pre-made-up plate (with a fixed quantity of food) per person. Instead, you order varieties of things... soups, entrees, sides... and the waitperson simply puts them them all in the center of the table. The family then shares then around, with each person taking what they want of each (transferring it from the serving platter to your own plate).

It's a great way to eat, because everybody gets to have some of every dish ordered.

It can be a dangerous (fattening) way to order, in part because it's easy to order too much food that way and in part because it's easy to take more food from each plate than you realize. "Yeah, we want sate skewers, and Hot and Sour soup, and General's Chicken, and mu shu vegetables, and some tan tan noodles, and... and... and at least three gurneys to get us back to our car."
AnotherFairportfan

Yeah; i figure likely it's like the Chinese-restaurant thing.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:What does Big Bird mean by "family style"?

It means enough rice to feed a cyclist on one plate with a variety of toppings/sauces on the side. Yum!
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

From one of the better BBQ restaurants in Amarillo:
Dyer's Family Style Bar-B-Que

Your Choice of Meats:
Beef, Pork, Pulled Pork, Brisket, Ribs, Ham, Polish Sausage, German Jalapeno Sausage

Choice of Three (3) Meats Served at One (1) Table – Per Person
$16.95

Choice of Four (4) Meats Served at One (1) Table – Per Person
$17.95

Children 2 thru 7 (Sold ONLY with Adult Family Style) – Per Child
$4.99

Children under two years of age are our guests!

FAMILY STYLE Served With:
Beans, Potato Salad, Cole Slaw, Onion Rings, Apricots and Texas Toast

FAMILY STYLE meals are served in bowls and on platters.
Pass them around as if you were on the ranch!
Those not ordering FAMILY STYLE are not allowed to sample off those who do order FAMILY STYLE.
These prices include all you can eat here, so “people bags” are not allowed with FAMILY STYLE meals.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I have also seen family style here in the deep south used interchangeably with cafeteria style. In other words everything is placed out and you serve yourself.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

from the Wikipedia entry...
George Clooney uses the Ruger Mini-14 as a sniper rifle with collapsible stock, side-mounted scope and large homemade silencer in the 2010 film The American...
Aha, I kind of thought it was familiar, but I couldn't have named a particular model...

PS- 'Family Style', well it's already been covered, but my understanding is the 'Chinese' version described above, esp with the plates being placed on a big rotating lazy-susan in the middle of the table. One trick I'd seen was to stack a lot of the smaller dishes ontop of each other to reduce the over all plate headcount, conceivably lowering the final bill... (What do I know, the guy telling us this, sitting at the table with us was Chinese...)

I've seen Europeans on PBS setting it out this way also, and then there is 'Farm/Ranch Style' which is very similar.
Last edited by TazManiac on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Sgt. Howard wrote: . . . (I get a real giggle when newsies call the AR-15 a "high powered Rifle") like .30-06, .308, 8mm Mauser., .303 Brit or 7.62x 54R.
Just my $ .02 worth...
Under the original terminology, it is a "high-power" rifle . . . because it has a bottleneck case. That's all it really meant back when the strongly bottlenecked cases first became popular.

--FreeFlier
Dacquoise11

Post by Dacquoise11 »

Hi Akarii- I got the daith piercing because I love the look, I saw a person with one a year ago and I could'nt stop thinking about it.....It goes very nicely with all the other ear piercings I have collected over the years.I have heard about "it cures migraines" but I have my doubts about that, but some people swear by it. The power of suggestion can work for some I suppose. I have never had a migraine in my life, luckily, so I would'nt know.
Some day in six inches of
Ashes will be all
That's left of our passionate
minds,
Of all the world created
By our love, its origin,
And passing away. -Marichiko
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dacquoise11 wrote:Hi Akarii- I got the daith piercing because I love the look, I saw a person with one a year ago and I could'nt stop thinking about it.....It goes very nicely with all the other ear piercings I have collected over the years.I have heard about "it cures migraines" but I have my doubts about that, but some people swear by it. The power of suggestion can work for some I suppose. I have never had a migraine in my life, luckily, so I would'nt know.

Seen it on several individuals- in fact, I've seen ears with so many piercings that without the metal they look like lace. Myself, I went through Army Ranger School and never got so much as a single tattoo. Just not me. But I admit, it can look quite fetching...

... on the other hand, I have quite a bit of interesting scar tissue...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Back when Buca di Beppo was first mentioned, I didn't know what it was and so looked it up. According to what the place's website said, yeah, "family style" basically means that they bring over a whole big platter of whatever it is, and everybody just takes however much they want off of that platter.

There was (hopefully still is) a restaurant is Scotland, I think in Inverness, that served Indian food. The Rose of Bengal, if I remember right. They didn't have it mentioned on their menu, but if you asked them they would bring out a bowl of literally every item that they had and you could share it all among a group. It took two tables, though, even with only a small number of diners: one for the diners and their dishes and some of the platters, the other table for the rest of the platters. It was tasty.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dacquoise11 wrote: . . . I have never had a migraine in my life, luckily, so I wouldn't know.
Actually, you might have . . . migraine does not equal headache.

Many people who have mild ocular migraines write them off as eyestrain.

If I get a headache with a migraine, it's almost always a tension headache from the aura and other visual effects. The neurologist diagnosed classical migraine without pain, the second most common kind.

--FreeFlier
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Catawampus wrote:Back when Buca di Beppo was first mentioned, I didn't know what it was and so looked it up. According to what the place's website said, yeah, "family style" basically means that they bring over a whole big platter of whatever it is, and everybody just takes however much they want off of that platter.

There was (hopefully still is) a restaurant is Scotland, I think in Inverness, that served Indian food. The Rose of Bengal, if I remember right. They didn't have it mentioned on their menu, but if you asked them they would bring out a bowl of literally every item that they had and you could share it all among a group. It took two tables, though, even with only a small number of diners: one for the diners and their dishes and some of the platters, the other table for the rest of the platters. It was tasty.
There's a Joe's Basement near me, it's been years since I've been there. I recall they had a "Pope's" room, bust of a pontiff on a lazy Suzan in the middle of a large round table. Sorry, not entirely appetizing for me...

And the food was a generous pile for sure. The table that was actually in the kitchen was cool, watching the staff prepare the food was amazing.

Now for family style, there was a place west of Houston in Flushear called Womack's. THAT was family style. Nothing fancy, just good Texas country style food in big bowls and platters. You sat at large tables, if your group didn't fill the table, you were seated with others. They closed years ago, memory fails me as to why.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Sgt. Howard wrote:... on the other hand, I have quite a bit of interesting scar tissue...
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

I have a few interesting ones as well... Birdshot (intel forgot to mention the guy had a shotgun), .22 GSW's, knife gash (that one is a badge of honor for someone who is now a dear friend of mine), brass knuckles to the chin (complete with chipped teeth which have since been repaired), eye gouge (Not my best night), and a really badly scraped knee when I had to dive out of a moving, burning drug truck (that mission was a fustercluck)
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Catawampus wrote:There was (hopefully still is) a restaurant is Scotland, I think in Inverness, that served Indian food. The Rose of Bengal, if I remember right. They didn't have it mentioned on their menu, but if you asked them they would bring out a bowl of literally every item that they had and you could share it all among a group. It took two tables, though, even with only a small number of diners: one for the diners and their dishes and some of the platters, the other table for the rest of the platters. It was tasty.
Okay.

I win PowerBall, i got to Scotland.

I find that restaurant.

I die happy.

Kate scatters my ashes off Waterloo Bridge on a Friday at sunset.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:... on the other hand, I have quite a bit of interesting scar tissue...
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

I have a few interesting ones as well... Birdshot (intel forgot to mention the guy had a shotgun), .22 GSW's, knife gash (that one is a badge of honor for someone who is now a dear friend of mine), brass knuckles to the chin (complete with chipped teeth which have since been repaired), eye gouge (Not my best night), and a really badly scraped knee when I had to dive out of a moving, burning drug truck (that mission was a fustercluck)
What the hell do you do for a living? :shock:
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Scars are tattoos with better stories.. . .
Sometimes known as "Next time remember to duck" . . .

--FreeFlier
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

FreeFlier wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:
Scars are tattoos with better stories.. . .
Sometimes known as "Next time remember to duck" . . .

--FreeFlier
Well, yea... there is that...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.