Science 2016-07-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
scantrontb

Re: Science 2016-07-14

Post by scantrontb »

Dave wrote:It would wreck the mad-scientist gig, that's for sure. Experience gained is directly proportional to equipment destroyed, and electronic equipment in particular is powered by the Magic Blue Smoke stored in the circuitry.

yep... and when that piece of electronic equipment has emitted it's puff of magic smoke and become non-operational, THAT is when they call in the electronics technicians and electrician's mates... but not before then...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

scantrontb wrote:
Dave wrote:It would wreck the mad-scientist gig, that's for sure. Experience gained is directly proportional to equipment destroyed, and electronic equipment in particular is powered by the Magic Blue Smoke stored in the circuitry.
yep... and when that piece of electronic equipment has emitted it's puff of magic smoke and become non-operational, THAT is when they call in the electronics technicians and electrician's mates... but not before then...
Tell me all about it. One of the more unhappy nights of my life consisted of getting the jeep stuck hubcap-deep in loose sand back on the road at 2Am on the road between the comm center and receiver site at Cam Ranh Bay.

And i wouldn't have been there if the so-and-sos up there had called for a KW26 tech at noon when their primary went down doing Hotel Juliets ... no, they waited till midnight when the backup went down...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Tell me all about it. One of the more unhappy nights of my life consisted of getting the jeep stuck hubcap-deep in loose sand back on the road at 2Am on the road between the comm center and receiver site at Cam Ranh Bay.
Jack. Lift. Shove. Repeat...ad infinitum.

Yep. BTDT. Never been that blessed with radio gear, but mainframe computers and 2:AM calls for stupid nonsense...ohyeah.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

scantrontb wrote:

And there's the story of the Navy ET's trying to troubleshoot a balky piece of gear. So the old head comes along, listens to the sad story, then simply replaces the 5 amp power fuse with a 20 amp fuse and turns it on. One Brrrzt and puff of smoke later, he says, "Replace what broke."

Then it worked.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Just Old Al wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Tell me all about it. One of the more unhappy nights of my life consisted of getting the jeep stuck hubcap-deep in loose sand back on the road at 2Am on the road between the comm center and receiver site at Cam Ranh Bay.[/quote
Jack. Lift. Shove. Repeat...ad infinitum.

Yep. BTDT. Never been that blessed with radio gear, but mainframe computers and 2:AM calls for stupid nonsense...ohyeah.
KW26 - crypto.

Unfortunately, the entire Cam Ranh peninsula seems to be composed of Very Fine white coral sand piled up at its angle of repose. The jack would have sunk right in.

Brush under the tires eventually did it.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.