As Is 2016-06-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
illiad

Re: As Is 2016-06-24

Post by illiad »

luckily, there are are plenty of websites for 'non standard' :P :D women about!! :) http://www.thinandcurvy.com/ is the place, a lot of the links next to the comic are NOT about comics!! :E
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:I always thought the fashion industry liked rail-thin women because it's easier to get the right draping and other fabric effects on a stick figure than it is on a complicated 3-D body.

Which seems like cheating, honestly. If you're designing clothes, don't make the basic shape so simple and easy it doesn't apply to a majority of natural body shapes. At least work from an average.
I am convinced that the industry is run by Gay Men...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

GlytchMeister wrote:If an article of clothing is designed specifically as art, fine. Whatever. Drape it over a pole. That would draw attention to the piece of art itself and not give people the idea that their body is not put together right.

If you want it to be worn, make it wearable by several different body shapes. You'll sell more.
Nothing wrong with a particular garment being well-suited to only one body shape. Problem is when EVERY garment is well-suited to only one - and all the same one - body shape.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Warrl wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:If an article of clothing is designed specifically as art, fine. Whatever. Drape it over a pole. That would draw attention to the piece of art itself and not give people the idea that their body is not put together right.

If you want it to be worn, make it wearable by several different body shapes. You'll sell more.
Nothing wrong with a particular garment being well-suited to only one body shape. Problem is when EVERY garment is well-suited to only one - and all the same one - body shape.
Yeah, what he said.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:Hey, some women are just put together tall and skinny like that. Others are fun-sized and curvy.
A girl I knew, upon mention of her considerably vertically-disinclined stature, stated that "dynamite comes in small packages". I pointed out that it also grows more unstable with age, sweats a lot, and causes bad headaches if it's around you too often.

She didn't seem to appreciate the continuance of her metaphor.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Atomic wrote:
jeffepp wrote:Around the time of the US Civil war, no Southern lady of status would would have gone without having her nipples pierced.
Source, please?
Yes, please . . . that sounds rather dubious, given the problems with and attitudes about infection at that time.

During the US Civil War infections killed more soldiers than direct effects of wounds and the surgery to correct the wounds.

But selling things is somehow impure . . .
Warrl wrote:Nothing wrong with a particular garment being well-suited to only one body shape. Problem is when EVERY garment is well-suited to only one - and all the same one - body shape.
No kidding.

I've encountered people who that that every manufacturer should use exactly the same models . . . we butted heads over the assertion that RedWing Boots should switch to the same exact last (boot/shoe mold) that Caterpillar uses. He refused to believe that while Caterpillar boots fit his feet, they did not fit mine!
Sgt. Howard wrote: . . . I am convinced that the industry is run by Gay Men who fixate on adolescent boys in drag... which is what a lot of high-end models look like. . . .
SOunds plausible to me, though I'd add that a lot of them are in denial about it.
Sgt. Howard wrote: . . . Did you know that the majority of skinny models have so little body fat and blood count that they stop menstruation?
Yes, I do . . . Also many female athletes.
Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Hey, some women are just put together tall and skinny like that. Others are fun-sized and curvy.
A girl I knew, upon mention of her considerably vertically-disinclined stature, stated that "dynamite comes in small packages". I pointed out that it also grows more unstable with age, sweats a lot, and causes bad headaches if it's around you too often. . . .
One I knew would have snapped "And don't you forget it!"

She was also inclined to sing "Short People" if she'd been drinking.

I've had women ask me what I noticed first about a woman . . .

:twisted: "Well, it depends on which was she's facing . . . . . . if she's facing me, usually her expression. If she's facing away, usually her hair. Posture from any angle, of course . . ." :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The really funny part is that it's true!

And personality is critical.

--FreeFlier
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Catawampus wrote:
A girl I knew, upon mention of her considerably vertically-disinclined stature, stated that "dynamite comes in small packages". I pointed out that it also grows more unstable with age, sweats a lot, and causes bad headaches if it's around you too often.

She didn't seem to appreciate the continuance of her metaphor.

When you find yourself in a hole.... stop digging.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Sgt. Howard wrote:When you find yourself in a hole.... stop digging.
When I find myself in a hole I celebrate. Image
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:
Atomic wrote:
jeffepp wrote:Around the time of the US Civil war, no Southern lady of status would would have gone without having her nipples pierced.
Source, please?
Yes, please . . . that sounds rather dubious, given the problems with and attitudes about infection at that time.
According to the Great Font of Dubious Knowledge (Wikipedia) and several other sources, there was a bit of a craze for nipple piercing in Paris in the 1890s, but I wasn't able to find any references to the practice being popular in the American South a few decades before that.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Atomic wrote:
Source, please?

I know wet nursing was much in demand for m'lady need not debase herself with such animalistic activities, etc, etc. And heavens, that she might turn something less than pale for having been out in the sun! Horrors! One might suspect that she actually.... worked.... for a living! And we can't have that, now, can we?

I thought that was a trip too, so I started googling...

http://listverse.com/2012/11/07/top-10- ... rian-fads/

This link is to Wikipedia, but might be considered NSFW...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipple_piercing

Not much new, under the Sun...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Miss Julie? Smack him. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

jwhouk wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
Miss Julie? Smack him. ;)
*surfaces from The Great Beyond of Adulting (and Hating It)*
Oh geez...the things that happen when I don't have time to check the forums. :roll: While I can't say that I don't understand his sentiment, I will definitely smack him on principle. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Oh, and by the way- the main reason folks during the Civil War where dieing off from infection and disease was greatly due to poor hygiene, more importantly, poor Nutrition, and of course the stresses contributing from long stints out in the field. (and getting shot at...)

Once you got a wound, even an incidental one, it might well prove fatal due your body's lowered ability to respond. How many vitamins are in a slice of modern-day Wonder Bread?
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

That one's easy, 12... according to the advertizing.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.