Growth Spurt 01 2016-06-13

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
FreeFlier

Re: Growth Spurt 01 2016-06-13

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:In the Navy, we took a power cord, soldered nails to the ends (with a hundred-watt light bulb on one side in series), stuck the nails into the ends a hot dog lying on an insulating surface, and plugged it in.

When the light went out, the hot dog was ready.
I've seen a hot-dog cooker of that sort with the nails driven through a chunk of 2x4.

It did generate a healthy respect for electricity, especially when the adult "forgot" and left the hot dog on too long . . .

--FreeFlier
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Dave wrote:I haven't used thermite myself, although I've been tempted to try out some of the little pre-packaged "hot-shot" thermite packets which are used to weld a ground rod to a ground wire. Much more secure than using clamps or screws or solder. If I lived in an area prone to lightning I'd be more tempted to do it, to help protect my home in the case that lightning decided that it wanted to get up-close-and-personal with my ham and TV antennas.
You use antennae to attract lightning to cook ham? :o
I'mma have to try that...
I have used those hot packs several times on grounding rods. Fast, easy to use and very safe. I shudder to say it but almost idiot proof.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

FreeFlier wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:In the Navy, we took a power cord, soldered nails to the ends (with a hundred-watt light bulb on one side in series), stuck the nails into the ends a hot dog lying on an insulating surface, and plugged it in.

I've seen a hot-dog cooker of that sort with the nails driven through a chunk of 2x4.

It did generate a healthy respect for electricity, especially when the adult "forgot" and left the hot dog on too long . . .

--FreeFlier
I actually had one of those i bought at the BX, in plastic of course and cooked 5 hotdogs at once. It was kinda neat.

Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

When I was a teen, we had the same one as Mickey. Not being a hot dog fan, I was much more fascinated by the technical aspects of it all.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

FreeFlier wrote:

--FreeFlier
Notice i mentioned the light bulb going out?

I said "we" did it - actually, it was some of the other guys in the shop. Apparently the hot dog lost contact when it heated up and shrank or something.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I remember those... my brother and I were fascinated watching the dogs cook. We even did a mock radio show- Mark intoning, " Well, 'Fingers', do you have anything to say before we throw the switch?" "I'm tellin' ya, I didn't do it! Ya got tha wrong guy!!! I'm innocent, I tell ya!!! Don't YAAAAAAAAUUUUGH!!!!! GAHHHH!!!"

Mom overheard this.

Damn thing disappeared that day.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Mothers are like that.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

but, but, but- what. did. the. snake. say?
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:but, but, but- what. did. the. snake. say?
"You will not surely die."

That might be true, in the case of abusing a Presto Hotdogger, but I can imagine that one might yearn for death afterwards.

If only due to the embarrassment.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:

Notice i mentioned the light bulb going out?

I said "we" did it - actually, it was some of the other guys in the shop. Apparently the hot dog lost contact when it heated up and shrank or something.
This didn't have fancy features like light bulbs . . . cord, nails, 2x4.

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

I just had a Monty Python flash.

"We 'ad to get up at two AM, thre hours before we went to bed, eat a lump o' freezing cold poison..."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

If you want to be really impressive, you can roast hotdogs the way Bud does it.
AnotherFairportfan wrote:I just had a Monty Python flash.

"We 'ad to get up at two AM, thre hours before we went to bed, eat a lump o' freezing cold poison..."
Oi, yeh got to eat poison?!? Why, we could only dream o' a nice bit o' poison to tuck intah! We didn't even 'ave digestive systems!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Catawampus wrote:If you want to be really impressive, you can roast hotdogs the way Bud does it.
AnotherFairportfan wrote:I just had a Monty Python flash.

Oi, yeh got to eat poison?!? Why, we could only dream o' a nice bit o' poison to tuck intah! We didn't even 'ave digestive systems!
So . . . exactly why did they invent dirt?

Actually used that one on a coworker when he was pulling that "in my day . . ." routine.

He tried to pretend he was mad but he was laughing too hard.

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:So . . . exactly why did they invent dirt?
The cliffs, boulders, rocks, pebbles, and sand kept grinding themselves down into powder. They either had to invent dirt, or they had to invent glue... lots of glue... and spend all their time gluing bits of rock back together to make new boulders and mountains.

Dirt was easier.

Of course, then they had to invent "washing up" to deal with the dirt. That didn't go over very well. To this very day, young boys have a strong innate rejection of the whole "wash behind your ears" nonsense.

The other reason they invented dirt, was so that Zathras would have something to talk to.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

We needed somethin' to bury the remains o' sassy youngsters under.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Catawampus wrote:
We needed somethin' to bury the remains o' sassy youngsters under.
Gravel makes lousy mudpies
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.