Tolerated Me 2012-09-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Tolerated Me 2012-09-18

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:My second thought: "Is Monica really that blinded by her experience in The Library?"
I don't see it quite so much as "blinded", but as "trying to justify her decision to withdraw."

Monica is like Shelly... she wants to live a normal human life, and is often rather daunted by the strangeness into which she's been tossed. She's spoken several times about how scary it was to have her friends deceive her during the CM shutdown, and she spoke enthusiastically to Tina of "not letting the paranormal dominate her life" or words like that.

She doesn't relish the danger... she didn't ask for it and she's not really an adrenaline junkie.

Phix now symbolizes that danger to her, just as Shelly does. Monica was almost willing to ditch Shelly, but has apparently reconsidered that in the face of Euryale's shaming.

Monica has much less history with Phix, and cutting Phix out of her life would significantly disengage Monica from both direct danger (symbolized by Phix herself) and from the paranormal world (symbolized by the Library, the knowledge and history it holds, and by Phix-as-Librarian).

It's emotionally easier to justify cutting somebody out of your life, if you can convince yourself that they won't care if you do, or that they would even welcome the relief of not having to tolerate your presence.

I think that's what Monica is doing here.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I'm surprised that Nudge isn't using this romp as a chance to practice her human disguise.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

zachariah wrote:Looks like nudge shed her swim suit, the one she was wearing the first time we saw this place. I am surprised she is in the water though. Wet fur takes so long to dry out, and the smell! Stinky might even be attracted to her though.

Nudge and stinky sitting in a tree
Nudge is screaming e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e
We know Nudge can transform into a being smaller than she normally is, I wonder how large a creature she can become? What if they are one in the same? What if that's why Stinky is so long lived? What if that was just another way for Nudge to manipulate the situation? What if I kept these stupid thoughts to myself? :oops:
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Dave

Post by Dave »

kingklash wrote:I'm surprised that Nudge isn't using this romp as a chance to practice her human disguise.
Less risk of sunburn in her usual furred form? The last time she "went human" with bare skin, she nearly froze.

And, a Trickster would probably just love the opportunity to walk out of the surf, trot up to where her friends are sunbathing, and give a really vigorous dog-like shake that splatters water for twenty yards in every direction :)
Last edited by Dave on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
zachariah wrote:Looks like nudge shed her swim suit, the one she was wearing the first time we saw this place. I am surprised she is in the water though. Wet fur takes so long to dry out, and the smell! Stinky might even be attracted to her though.

Nudge and stinky sitting in a tree
Nudge is screaming e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e
We know Nudge can transform into a being smaller than she normally is, I wonder how large a creature she can become? What if they are one in the same? What if that's why Stinky is so long lived? What if that was just another way for Nudge to manipulate the situation? What if I kept these stupid thoughts to myself? :oops:
Please keep sharing those thoughts...I'd have never made a Nudge is Stinky connection. I hope it isn't so, but purely for selfish reasons. I will see a picture of Nudge, wrapped in a tentacular embrace being rubbed in a cuddle (cuttle?)-some manner against one of Stinky's cheeks while he has a 'squee' moment, if I have to comission it... :shock:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

this is a great piece..... I mean, M is finally looking relaxed and having a great time.... Nudge is having a deep moment and trying to convince M that Phix actually cares about here..... and of course the best part is M sexy hotness. >;)
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

MrFireDragon wrote:this is a great piece..... I mean, M is finally looking relaxed and having a great time.... Nudge is having a deep moment and trying to convince M that Phix actually cares about here..... and of course the best part is M sexy hotness. >;)
Yes! Looking forward to more bouncing!

And plot. Yeah -- that too! And bouncing.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Monica was traumatised by that encounter with Phix. Blood and gore is not something the average person sees. Seeing somebody she liked and trusted arm deep in a chest cavity would be unerving to say the least and the unequivocal "Leave" comment surely didn't help. Monica may be trying to rationalize a visceral emotional wound which not unlike a phobia may be difficult to overcome even if she rationally comes to the conclusion Phix does like and care about her.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Bathorys Daughter

Wdot wrote:Monica was traumatized by that encounter with Phix. Blood and gore is not something the average person sees. Seeing somebody she liked and trusted arm deep in a chest cavity would be unnerving to say the least and the unequivocal "Leave" comment surely didn't help. Monica may be trying to rationalize a visceral emotional wound which not unlike a phobia may be difficult to overcome even if she rationally comes to the conclusion Phix does like and care about her.
But ... does Monica care for or about Phix anymore? Will she want to even be with her; getting all that good advice, wisdom, and camaraderie? You know, get her Phix fix.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:But ... does Monica care for or about Phix anymore? Will she want to even be with her; getting all that good advice, wisdom, and camaraderie? You know, get her Phix fix.
Under the current conditions, she probably won't - she doesn't feel safe going back to the Library, or being around a dangerous apex predator.

I think she'll come to miss the experience, though, and will end up working out some new arrangement for interacting with sphinxes which will allow her to feel safe, and also get the benefit of sphinxly interactions.

She just has to have her Phix fix fixed.

(Deposits two copies of "How to Win Friends and Influence Paranormals" in the Pun Jar - one for me, one for Bathory's Daughter.)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave11 wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:"MLP"?
I'm guessing "My Little Pony".
I guess I should have gone with the entire acronym: MLP:FIM.

It should make sense if you realize Pablo's a Brony ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Jay-Em wrote:Aha.. Sooo.. The run-run-run-don't get squashed -bit was a flash-back. Makes sense...

By the by, there's something inherently funny about the size-difference between Nudge and M..

Oh, and Nudge looks content, just like dogs are somehow always happy when at the beach and in the sea....

(btw, funny how a commission triggered a part of a story-line..)
Just as long as her shoes don't rust.....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:
Dave11 wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:"MLP"?
I'm guessing "My Little Pony".
I guess I should have gone with the entire acronym: MLP:FIM.

It should make sense if you realize Pablo's a Brony ;)
Oh, i do.

BTW:

(For those who don't make the connection - this is a parody of a new game:

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Or else you need a Chainsaw Unicorn? Image
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Dave wrote: She just has to have her Phix fix fixed.
Or we could collaborate on some fanfiction, and let fanfics fix Phix' fix fix.

(Deposits ... going broke here, people.)
Bathorys Daughter

Dave wrote:(Deposits two copies of "How to Win Friends and Influence Paranormals" in the Pun Jar - one for me, one for Bathory's Daughter.)
This is why I like being a girl. The guys pay for everything.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

jwhouk wrote:I just want to say I LOVE the effect of splashing in the water! Nudge looks like a sea monster in that last panel, though.

...and Nudge is also looking a bit... MLP-ish, too.
Why do you guys keep putting ideas in my head?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Dave wrote:(Deposits two copies of "How to Win Friends and Influence Paranormals" in the Pun Jar - one for me, one for Bathory's Daughter.)
This is why I like being a girl. The guys pay for everything.
Hey, it's only fair. Everybody has been paying for my sense of humor... I can hear the screams. ;)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I hear ya, Bro'. (fist-bumps with shadowinthelight)
kingklash wrote:I'm surprised that Nudge isn't using this romp as a chance to practice her human disguise.)
It's his fault... ;)

Human Disguise
(sung to Bruce Springsteen's "Brilliant Disguise")

I knew you so long
But I didn't know
It all went wrong
With one single blow
But you came back
Tryin' to be friends
On the wrong track
To make amends
So tell me what I see
When I look in your eyes
Is that really you
Or just a human disguise?

I learned from you
You taught me so much
Such strong advice
Delivered with a gentle touch
I had you idealized
It was a temporary state
And I realized
Your warning too late
So tell me what I see
When I look in your eyes
Is that really you
Or just a human disguise?

Everything that I know
Has just been blown away
It's a lame puppet show
Meant to lead you astray
I fear this new path
And the things I've been shown
Do I have the faith
To walk it alone

Are you still the same?
I can feel the unease
The elite's game
Left you alone in the trees
So many years
In the blink of an eye
A thousand new fears
With no reason why
So tell me what I see
When I look in your eyes
Is that still you
Or a human disguise?

I've lost my crutch
And hit the wall
I lack so much
To deal with it all
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Jabberwonky wrote:I hear ya, Bro'. (brohoofs with shadowinthelight)
Fixed that for you.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!