In A Side Cup 2016-06-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

In A Side Cup 2016-06-08

Post by Dave »

She's definitely not 100% Sphinx... still has a nice collection of very human quirks and foibles, which even custard can't eliminate.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/in-a-side-cup/
GlytchMeister

Re: In A Side Cup 2016-06-08

Post by GlytchMeister »

SHE TAKES BITES OUT OF ICE CREAM ON A CONE?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Has he got all his facts right? i didnt think she was invulnerable. I will coincide though it probably would take something near god level to kill her.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Shelly has seen Digit before, but I wonder if they've had to spend time together yet?
oldmanmickey wrote:Has he got all his facts right? i didnt think she was invulnerable. I will coincide though it probably would take something near god level to kill her.
Well, given who her mother is, she could be described as titanic. So she may have a weakness to ice. And perhaps to iced custard, too.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Justin did not say she was invulnerable, he said "Nothing on Earth can hurt you". That still leaves lots of things (and people) NOT on Earth that can hurt and/or kill her.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

She got her girly ruffles back!
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

"High maintenance? Well, aside from the ten pounds of raw beef every day..."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

GlytchMeister wrote:SHE TAKES BITES OUT OF ICE CREAM ON A CONE?
It's definitely the best way to do it when you are eating flavors with stuff in it like chocolate chip cookie dough or peanut butter cup. Now I'm hungry. Mmm... Braum's ice cream...

ImageImage
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
illiad

Post by illiad »

GlytchMeister wrote:SHE TAKES BITES OUT OF ICE CREAM ON A CONE?
whaddaya want, a 'tongue shaped' cutout ???? :D :D :lol:
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

He failed to mention that little quirk about her killing and eating sentient beings (other sphinxes) who cross her. Just like grandma, she likes them raw. Sphinx sushi. At least I guess she does. We didn't get to witness her turf battle loser feast. For all we know she and granny had a barbeque. Tina and her demons may have catered it. Naw, probably not. They're none too comfortable around sphinxes. Especially sphinxes who are currently dining on one of their own and high on a victory celebration. Tina's demons could become dessert.

But we do see another advantage of being a sphinx. Large bites of ice cream without getting brain freeze.

All in all, I think she is dwelling on the downside of being a tomboy. In spite of it all, she still wants to be a desirable woman. Human woman. She may be feeling that part of her slipping away and wants to do things to bring back some degree of femininity to her soul. I would say her biological clock is ticking louder than usual, but she has an eternity to have kids. Still, you never know when a sudden rush of estrogen may overwhelm you. The feelings she has must mean something. Have to wonder. Do they truly love each other down to their core or are they just comfortable together? Justin may not be treating her much like a girl and too much, like she said, "a bro?" I guess they're still not actually married. A while back she was kinda down about others around her getting hitched and she wasn't.

Also wonder, where Justin is concerned, is it difficult to treat someone who has so many muscles like a woman? Most men don't really want a hard bodied female in bed. They want soft and feminine. As long as Shelly insists on being like one of the guys physically, I don't think anything will change. Perhaps she needs to learn to shape shift better. She can to a certain extent now. A few lessons from grandma on how to present herself in a more girly form could be in order. Phix can do a pretty good job of it, after all. Monica's boss was smitten instantly. And, unbeknownst to him, had sex with a very powerful sphinx ... and lived. Not so much as an earlobe bitten off in the heat of passion. Probably really enjoyed it even. To have had that distinction and never know it would be a bummer though.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

KnightDelight wrote:He failed to mention that little quirk about her killing and eating sentient beings (other sphinxes) who cross her. Just like grandma, she likes them raw. Sphinx sushi. At least I guess she does. We didn't get to witness her turf battle loser feast. For all we know she and granny had a barbeque. Tina and her demons may have catered it. Naw, probably not. They're none too comfortable around sphinxes. Especially sphinxes who are currently dining on one of their own and high on a victory celebration. Tina's demons could become dessert.
Wolf-who-watches wrote:Eat what you kill.
:roll: :? :roll:
KnightDelight wrote:But we do see another advantage of being a sphinx. Large bites of ice cream without getting brain freeze.
:lol: I was thinking that! :lol:

I read something recently that says "brain freeze" is actually a narrow short-lived form of migraine.
KnightDelight wrote: . . . Monica's boss was smitten instantly. And, unbeknownst to him, had sex with a very powerful sphinx ... and lived. Not so much as an earlobe bitten off in the heat of passion. Probably really enjoyed it even. To have had that distinction and never know it would be a bummer though.
Don't know about that . . . how long has it been since we've seen him?

;)

--FreeFlier
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

KnightDelight wrote: Also wonder, where Justin is concerned, is it difficult to treat someone who has so many muscles like a woman? Most men don't really want a hard bodied female in bed. They want soft and feminine.
You do realize, don't you, that you're talking about a guy whose ex was a werewolf who made him have sex with her while she was changing from human to wolf form? Shelly comes off as positively dainty compared to that.

And of course, what "men" want in a relationship is irrelevant here. What is relevant is what JUSTIN wants. (And, as goes without saying, Shelly.) We already know that Justin is ... unique in his own ways.

I once dated a girl who was Shelly-like when it came to worrying about how she was perceived by me, to an almost pathological degree. It took a good twenty years to get her over that. Fortunately, she did get over it, and the last fifteen years have been great; anniversary number 34 coming up in a couple of weeks. Shelly, unlike my wife, has the disadvantage of being immortal, so she herself may not change in ways conducive to that. But if the relationship is strong, the relationship itself will.

Speaking of which, wonder how Alan and Jin are doing?
Dave

Post by Dave »

oldmanmickey wrote:Has he got all his facts right? i didnt think she was invulnerable. I will coincide though it probably would take something near god level to kill her.
Phix said that Shelly and Monica could "take on the armies of the world and win." That may not mean complete invulnerability, but it's a pretty close approximation.

Remember that Shelly mother Bia, as a small girl, lived through the Chimera's fire blast that burned Lanthis down from a civilization to a howling desert, and apparently didn't even get a first degree burn. Conscience (an elemental) punched Bia so hard that the impact created a crater, and Bia wasn't more than dazed. Phix punched Bia out through a solid stone wall. Titans are tough.

Sphinxes too, it seems. Shelly-sphinx (not even knowing of her Titan ancestry) wasn't at all concerned about being right next to the plutonium-fueled Vimana cell, whose radiation was potent enough to kill Shelly-1 after only a few seconds of exposure.

I get the feeling that Bia's breeding program was intended to create a girl child who had the strengths of both Titans and Sphinxes.

Bia apparently didn't take arachnophobia into account, though. A battle between Shelly and Ungoliant might be a tough fight.
Last edited by Dave on Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Graybeard wrote:Speaking of which, wonder how Alan and Jin are doing?
Didn't you hear? She got pregnant, and had her baby in their Toyota Corrola, by the side of the road (in a ditch, actually), and poited to safety, when a bear was attracted to the scent of blood. He made short work of the rear seat... And a mixup involving unrelated persons got an amber alert started, with them as prime suspects... ;)
(I looked for the fanfic, but can's seem to find it...)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Graybeard wrote:Speaking of which, wonder how Alan and Jin are doing?
Didn't you hear? She got pregnant, and had her baby in their Toyota Corrola, by the side of the road (in a ditch, actually), and poited to safety, when a bear was attracted to the scent of blood. He made short work of the rear seat... And a mixup involving unrelated persons got an amber alert started, with them as prime suspects... ;)
(I looked for the fanfic, but can's seem to find it...)
Here.

--FreeFlier
louisxiv

Post by louisxiv »

FreeFlier wrote:
KnightDelight wrote: . . . Monica's boss was smitten instantly. And, unbeknownst to him, had sex with a very powerful sphinx ... and lived. Not so much as an earlobe bitten off in the heat of passion. Probably really enjoyed it even. To have had that distinction and never know it would be a bummer though.
Don't know about that . . . how long has it been since we've seen him?

;)

--FreeFlier
My mighty indexing and search powers reveal the mysteries of time and space, bringing to you this vision as if it were happening immediately before you:

2010-07-18
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:Phix said that Shelly and Monica could "take on the armies of the world and win." That may not mean complete invulnerability, but it's a pretty close approximation.
Though it also depends on how much hyperbole was going on there.

I get the impression that titans are even more durable and stronger than sphinxes, given Phix's words to Bia and the sorts of things we've seen titans survive and sphinxes not survive. I'd expect that a direct hit from a good-sized cannon would likely totally ruin the average sphinx's day, but would just make Bia really annoyed. So just how much of Shelly's toughness is due to her titan ancestry and how much due to her sphinxiness may be important. Is she at sphinx level? Titan level? Upgraded sphinx or downgraded titan level?
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

KnightDelight wrote: Also wonder, where Justin is concerned, is it difficult to treat someone who has so many muscles like a woman? Most men don't really want a hard bodied female in bed. They want soft and feminine. As long as Shelly insists on being like one of the guys physically, I don't think anything will change.
Keep in mind right before they started dating, Justin was taking martial arts lessons from Shelly. He even feigned ignorance, so she'd had to take a more hands on approach with him. Doesn't sound like a guy who's put off by muscles to me.
And, yeah, she's strong, but she definitely isn't 'one of the guys' physically.
Being strong doesn't mean you can't be feminine, if that's something you want to be.
And, it isn't a question of her 'insisting' on being like anything-this is who she is. Who she's always been, from the start. I'm glad she has a guy who can appreciate her for who and what she is, without insisting she shapeshift to a frailer form, and act like someone she's not.
Just my 2 cents!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

chicgeek wrote:Being strong doesn't mean you can't be feminine, if that's something you want to be.

So I've heard.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Catawampus wrote:
chicgeek wrote:Being strong doesn't mean you can't be feminine, if that's something you want to be.
So I've heard.
And from the mouth of King Adelaide herself.