Not Make Holes 2016-05-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Re: Not Make Holes 2016-05-25

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Yup, This is LION KING sad. :( :( :(
Which is why this is such a good story all round.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

by AnotherFairportfan » Thu May 26, 2016 12:04 am
This thread should be dated 26 May.
The date was originally posted as the 26th, but FreeFlier's questioning of that prompted changing to the wrong date 10:43pm. I'll go fix it again.
lake_wrangler wrote:Isn't that a bit of an unfair advantage? If Freeflier's thread actually came out one the comic posted, shouldn't his be the right thread?
Due to the nature of Paul's FB post, I felt it appropriate to quote his warning.
(EDIT: Went back to correct date, and noticed FreeFlier edited his criticism ... note his post and the next one, where I quoted him. Not a big thing...)
jwhouk

Re: Not Make Holes 2016-05-26

Post by jwhouk »

No harm, no foul.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Just had a horrible thought. Little Atsali opens the door instead of waiting like she was told. And that distracts mom at a key moment...
*shudders*
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I seem to have something in my eye. I'm not crying, you're crying... :(
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
TheOtherOne

Post by TheOtherOne »

Should not a safe room have a potty in it? After all you never know how long you will be confined.

So, who will appear behind door number 1? Mom on her last legs, who dies not long after? Dad to take Atsali away and also dies in the process, leaving Atsali alone among a floor littered with bodies, while she is trying to wake him up? Mr Medows, since both parents are already dead? Or maybe nobody, leaving Atsali alone and cooped up. As usual, Paul has created a real page turner. It's going to be a long 24 hours.
Vitrbjorn

Post by Vitrbjorn »

Just by guessing what is on the other side of that steel door, this is going to be a long weekend till Monday.
That which does not kill you but makes you stronger only shows you to a different level of predator.
Be careful lest the gods devour you in your new strength.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

My guess it's either Billens*COUGH* uh, I mean, uh... an MIB agent who transports Atsali to the precinct and then to the orphanage.

Might be Lily (Lilly?) or Suzie.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Ya know, given her apparent age, while she might not appreciate the full horror of what's happened ... i can see her being terribly embarrassed and upset if she wets herself ... and that would be, really, more painful.

("Mama? Mama? Asawi wet. Asawi sowwy. Mama? Not mad at Asawi...? Mama? Wake up, Mama. Asawi wet...")
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Though i'm sure this won't go anywhere near there, i have an image of a child with a thousand-yard stare, mumbling over and over, "Naughty girl ... must be punished ..."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Though i'm sure this won't go anywhere near there, i have an image of a child with a thousand-yard stare, mumbling over and over, "Naughty girl ... must be punished ..."
NOOOOOOOOPE
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

No no no no no no, sweet little angel, don't open that door and see that childhood destroying moment!
Dr. Otter

Post by Dr. Otter »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Yup, This is LION KING sad. :( :( :(
Which is why this is such a good story all round.
At least a thousand Seymours.
Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AmriloJim wrote:
by AnotherFairportfan » Thu May 26, 2016 12:04 am
This thread should be dated 26 May.
The date was originally posted as the 26th, but FreeFlier's questioning of that prompted changing to the wrong date 10:43pm. I'll go fix it again.
lake_wrangler wrote:Isn't that a bit of an unfair advantage? If Freeflier's thread actually came out one the comic posted, shouldn't his be the right thread?
Due to the nature of Paul's FB post, I felt it appropriate to quote his warning.
(EDIT: Went back to correct date, and noticed FreeFlier edited his criticism ... note his post and the next one, where I quoted him. Not a big thing...)
It wasn't a criticism, it was a mistake, which I fixed as soon as I noticed . . . apparently while you were changing the posts . . .

Just like you updated the first post in this thread as I was posting my thread . . .

--FreeFlier
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

FreeFlier... no worries, my friend.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Dave

Post by Dave »

TheOtherOne wrote:Should not a safe room have a potty in it? After all you never know how long you will be confined..
It might well have something intended to serve as a privy in an emergency... a thundermug or chamberpot, or a box or barrel which could be lined with a plastic bag. The sort of thing you might stock in a storm cellar or fallout shelter to serve as an impromptu toilet.

However, these sorts of things might need some setup or preparation by an adult before they were ready for this sort of use. A child of Atsali's age might not know about them, or recognize their intended use.

"Potty training" usually means training to use the potty, not to use any conveniently-placed Ming vase that might be in the room. ;)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote:
TheOtherOne wrote:Should not a safe room have a potty in it? After all you never know how long you will be confined..
It might well have something intended to serve as a privy in an emergency... a thundermug or chamberpot, or a box or barrel which could be lined with a plastic bag. The sort of thing you might stock in a storm cellar or fallout shelter to serve as an impromptu toilet.
Or a portable toilet.
Dave wrote:However, these sorts of things might need some setup or preparation by an adult before they were ready for this sort of use. A child of Atsali's age might not know about them, or recognize their intended use.

"Potty training" usually means training to use the potty, not to use any conveniently-placed Ming vase that might be in the room. ;)
Not the sort of thing you want to encourage in a small child, no . . . :roll:

--FreeFlier
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Though i'm sure this won't go anywhere near there, i have an image of a child with a thousand-yard stare, mumbling over and over, "Naughty girl ... must be punished ..."

I actually saw her- would have been June 1983, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. Cigarette burns, broken left arm, dislocated right hip, blouse right eye, cauliflower ear on the left... treated with PenVK for syphilis, old scars all over the place. 4 years old. One of many I still nightmare about. Would look right through you as if you weren't really there. No interest in reality. Any hand coming towards her would start the screaming. The anesthesia mask would start convulsions just because it was there. Needles meant nothing to her though. She might look at what you were doing, but tended to ignore it.

She had a look that pretty much said "I'm tired of living,"
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
sheik

Post by sheik »

Sgt. Howard wrote:

I actually saw her- would have been June 1983, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. Cigarette burns, broken left arm, dislocated right hip, blouse right eye, cauliflower ear on the left... treated with PenVK for syphilis, old scars all over the place. 4 years old. One of many I still nightmare about. Would look right through you as if you weren't really there. No interest in reality. Any hand coming towards her would start the screaming. The anesthesia mask would start convulsions just because it was there. Needles meant nothing to her though. She might look at what you were doing, but tended to ignore it.

She had a look that pretty much said "I'm tired of living,"
It's at times like that one is thankful for the Infantile Amnesia phenomenon.
It's due to the natural culling of brain cells and pathways to make brain operation more efficient, and has probably saved the sanity of untold millions, if not billions, in our history.