Mama Quiet 2016-05-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Mama Quiet 2016-05-25

Post by DilyV »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/mama-quiet/

WED BUDDON!!!

We all know how this ends... TEH FEELS!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
GlytchMeister

Re: Mama Quiet 2016-05-25

Post by GlytchMeister »

:shock:

Not a very safe saferoom if smg bullets got through.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

How old is Atsali?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:How old is Atsali?
I'd say toddler-range, judging by the incomplete set of teeth, the speech patterns, and the relative size of atsali compared to the chair.
I'm too much!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

yea i am thinking that this is gonna get us big time right in the feels. Have to agree that safe room isnt that good if bullets rip through it and for sure would not keep out any kind of Para at all. Then again i have seen heavy steel doors sit into hollow cinder block walls.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
AnotherFairportfan

oldmanmickey wrote:yea i am thinking that this is gonna get us big time right in the feels. Have to agree that safe room isnt that good if bullets rip through it and for sure would not keep out any kind of Para at all. Then again i have seen heavy steel doors sit into hollow cinder block walls.
Or two or three locks and a chain on a hollow-core door.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
s-o

Post by s-o »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Or two or three locks and a chain on a hollow-core door.
If you're doing that, you're just begging for a "Here's Johnny!"-moment ...
AnotherFairportfan

s-o wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Or two or three locks and a chain on a hollow-core door.
Wouldn't even take an axe.

I once ripped a door off a Yugo - well, folded it back 180 degrees, flat along the front fender.

The driver was trapped under the wheel and couldn't get out through the other side, and the door was sprung, in a way that meant he couldn't open it.

So i grabbed the edge and "crunch".
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

'Kopse slugs'- Teflon coated copper projectiles. They squeeze through just about anything, nobody really understands why or how. Owning them is a class 'B' felony.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

s-o wrote:
Hollow core door is 1/8" ply most of the time. That's not even a challenge. Steel door, steel wall linings (ablative - you don't care if you have to replace them later) or better multilayer with soft material in between - the Masada defense.

Sigh.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Having time to think on it, it looks like it's the floor that's the weak point. The gun is shown as pointed up, at an angle. I would guess the safe room is on the second floor, and no one thought to reinforce the floor of the room.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

That actually makes sense, if you're a family of flyers.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

jeffepp wrote:Having time to think on it, it looks like it's the floor that's the weak point. The gun is shown as pointed up, at an angle. I would guess the safe room is on the second floor, and no one thought to reinforce the floor of the room.
I'm thinking the safe room is on the same floor... its just that we're seeing the aftermath of that burst... in the frame where the barrel is pointed skyward. "Sali's mom told her to "go in the family room and press the red button" Family rooms are normally on the first floor... and would be easier to get to. I'm thinking either the second panel and the third aren't sequential, or that the third actually precedes the second by a fraction of a second or so, the third frame showing the results of the burst Atsali mama just thwarted.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Yep, this is going to punch us all in the feels. Repeatedly.
And, I can see setting up an interior room as a safe room, but lacking the knowledge or money to do it properly. Perhaps it's only recently that they decided they needed one, pronto, and have plans to upgrade it. Their falling out with whoever they worked for could be a recent development. They did they best they could to get one set up now, on the theory that it would provide at least some protection?
Most civilians aren't terribly well versed in knowledge of ammo, and think Kelvar stops all bullets.
Or, I'm over analyzing this, and Paul just wanted to show Atsali having a close escape, with the bullets perforating the chair.
Damn, toddler Atsali is adorable. Barefoot and grubby, has probably come inside after having a tea party with Mr.Frog, and immersed in her book.
I'm betting that the family is in a somewhat secluded area. In the toddler Atsali strips from earlier, she's shown freely running around in the outdoors, flying kites, playing with frogs, getting cheerfully grubby. I'm trying to remember if there were any woodland backgrounds in those strips now, but not enough to go search them out. Living outside a city makes sense for anyone raising a young para, after all .Especially a flying one.
Dave

Post by Dave »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/reluctant-adventure-buddy/
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/afternoon-tea/
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/little-ats ... he-dragon/

Not entirely certain... no distant shots of woodlands... but it's a fairly good bet this wasn't an urban environment. Maybe suburban... some suburbs still have wooded streams, and green fields or parks big enough to run in... but it could be out in the countryside just as easily.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Sgt. Howard wrote:'Kopse slugs'- Teflon coated copper projectiles. They squeeze through just about anything, nobody really understands why or how. Owning them is a class 'B' felony.
"Nobody really understands . . ." Challenge accepted.
Kopsch bullets
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon-coated_bullet

Oddly enough, the teflon coating was used to protect the barrel of the gun AND prevent ricochets off of hard surfaces. Experiments against kevlar vests showed the "stickiness" of the teflon actually made it harder for the bullets to penetrate body armor, but the hard brass projectile with the steel core punched right through things like windshields, car doors, walls, bricks, etc. Because Lead while heavier, is also much softer and tends to flatten out/deform when it hits a hard surface.

All that being said, given that this takes place in the wapsiverse, those could quite easily be "magic bullets" especially designed for use against paranormals. Kinda like silver bullets for use against werewolves, only with better penetration.
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Pure osmium, coated in osmium/steel alloy, coated in titanium or a steel/titanium alloy for structural integrity. Full jacket, with extra-thick structural layer at the tip. Tapered tip. Extra long length of the slug itself.

Osmium is the densest metal I could think of, and the extra long slug would give it more punch. The steel would hopefully keep it from disintegrating too fast, allowing for high penetration and low deformation.
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

GlytchMeister wrote:Pure osmium, coated in osmium/steel alloy, coated in titanium or a steel/titanium alloy for structural integrity. Full jacket, with extra-thick structural layer at the tip. Tapered tip. Extra long length of the slug itself.

Osmium is the densest metal I could think of, and the extra long slug would give it more punch. The steel would hopefully keep it from disintegrating too fast, allowing for high penetration and low deformation.
Dave Drake (in his stand-alone SF-mercenary novel, The Forlorn Hope) features rifles with barrels made of a single synthetic diamond with a conical bore; the round is a pellet of osmium that is squeezed down to a directionally-stable pencil-thick, very fast rod.

They are effective against anything from human targets up to medium armor.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

You could also use a tungsten boride penetrator (which is harder than diamond), with some depleted uranium behind it, and have the whole thing wrapped in a softer metal to prevent the tungsten boride from shredding the rifling in the barrel.

Though, you will need a laser to shape it. It requires a 5400°F flame to make it.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

One word: leybyrdite.