Mama Bear 2016-05-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Mama Bear 2016-05-24

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TheCollector

Re: Mama Bear 2016-05-24

Post by TheCollector »

Damn! Atsali's mom is a badass! And she definitely doesn't fall into the siren stereotype, I wonder if Atsali remembers that or not.
AnotherFairportfan

Where'd the blade come from?
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Mon May 23, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

And Mom has a name -- Leucoisa. Too bad we don't have a surname (yet).
At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this. Grrrr...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'm thinking it should be "Leucosia" instead...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Gingerninja

Post by Gingerninja »

And that is your classic spin hook kick in action ladies and gentlemen.
I would eat your soul, but I'd prefer to keep my lunch down.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

She threw a leg around the Bad Guy's neck to make sure she stabbed him in the face?

Serious moves there. I considered myself lucky to get a foot in someone's face.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

wow indeed
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Google returns Leucosia as the common spelling, but a handful of sites refer to "Leucoisa, meaning 'White One'".

It also appears that Sirena could be used as a surname, which would suggest we've known 'Sali's birth name all along.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Where'd the blade come from?
Probably a garter sheath hidden under her skirt.

Otherwise, it's a summoned weapon. Likely from the perfectly round looking bit at the pommel. That'd make for some pretty nifty storage.

Is the forum acting weird for anyone else this morning?
Last edited by Gyrrakavian on Tue May 24, 2016 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
TheOtherOne

Post by TheOtherOne »

Yep, as I thought. Paul's going for ratings. When someone does that they go either of two ways (or both). Sex or/and slaughter. Paul has done the sex thing to death lately, so he's changing gears and going for slaughter. It seems guards come out of the woodwork in these things. And they are always totally inept. They just stand there waiting to be attacked instead of spraying bullets right off. Do they ever get any actual training? Doesn't seem like it. One would think they would be paranormals in this case, but they appear to be the usual ineffective humans. Makes you wonder why guys sign up for that sort of "work". And, of course, there will be the "workers" to kill as well. There is usually no shortage of soon-to-be-dead bodies in these situations. And, of course, to really do the job, reader wise, the killings have to be gruesome to boot. No simple being shot will do. Still, you got to wonder, why isn't she using a gun? And why don't the guards have a helmet capable of withstanding a blade? But then they never do. Like the total body armor in Star Wars. It does no good whatsoever. Why wear it?

Gotta wonder if this is a suicide mission though. What happens when she presses the "button?" Could be everyone dies regardless so she just hurries things up for some. And will hubby show up at just the right moment to save her life? That's what also usually happens. At the least, pick up the mantle and finish what she started.

Stay tuned fans, the action has just started.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Where'd the blade come from?
Daggers 'R Us. They've always got a nice selection and the prices are quite competitive.
AnotherFairportfan

TheOtherOne wrote:Yep, as I thought. Paul's going for ratings. When someone does that they go either of two ways (or both). Sex or/and slaughter. Paul has done the sex thing to death lately, so he's changing gears and going for slaughter.
Don't like what Paul's doing?

There's a door.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Just had a flashback to an old Mad Magazine book vs. movie parody

Book: Not the knife in the face, not the knife in the face thock, thock!

Movie: Not where the bullet holes show!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Also, I'm getting the feeling that Paul is world-building for the next arc that will be something like the calendar machine in length. That one took 2001 through 2006 to set up, then '06 - '10 to complete. What I'm saying is WoG is Atsali becomes a YA adventure writer of her fictionalized autobiography, this is setting up for her next adventure, but a really long one.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

What gets me is she has took two down with no problem and is still in human form. Given how good she is now what will she be taking out in combat form?

I also have to play devils advocate and point out this could very well just be a story Stali is working on.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

She could have also gotten the knife from the bad guy.

...ooh, good catch, old man mickey, this might just be what Atsali is imagining for her first book or something...

As for "Going for ratings"...

When did Paul do sex to death? I don't know about you, but all I've seen is a bunch of stuff about a teenage girl being awkward and dealing with high school and drama and stuff. Last time there was a real sexual situation... Uh... It was I believe between Monica and Kevin.

And that was really just "circumstantial evidence" kind of stuff. We never saw the deed get done.

Violence has been featured on this comic before. Hell, Monica got her damn face ripped off, and Phix ATE a sentient being. ATE.

But that wasn't the main focus of the comic... Remember when Monica saw Phix eating? There was, like, five panels max dedicated to Phix actually eating, the killing before, or the aftermath, and how many panels were dedicated to dealing with the psychological and emotional implications of seeing that happen?
Lots.

So why don't you just hold your tongue and refrain from passing judgement until the story arc is finished? Like, when the next book is finished or something.

Seriously, you're ripping on this story and we've only seen TWO PAGES. TWO. Wapsi Square has been going since 2001. Good, solid fifteen years or so. It takes several days to get through the whole archive. And some story arcs took several years from "world-building stage" to the climax and resolution.

So for your next trick, how about you pass judgement the entirety of the Lord of the Rings movies including the Hobbit trilogy after seeing only five minutes... Or perhaps you could judge the entire Harry Potter series from the first few pages. Oh, here's a good one. Judge the Mona Lisa by looking at just her left nostril, or a tree in the background.

Also? Bloody hell, you've done almost nothing but complain on this forum. Jeeze.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AmriloJim wrote:Google returns Leucosia as the common spelling, but a handful of sites refer to "Leucoisa, meaning 'White One'".

It also appears that Sirena could be used as a surname, which would suggest we've known 'Sali's birth name all along.
This also fits with Atsali's current name being Atsali Sirena Gilchrist.

--FreeFlier
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Doing sex to death?- I thought that was a reference to my fanfiction... "Emergency tonsillectomy", remember? Paul doing sex to death? mostly between Monica and Jet or Monica and Kevin... I would say four pages total, out of how many years?... there was the one between Shelly and Justin, that was one page with a few pages afterwards of Shelly gloating.
Big boobs tend to feature in this strip- for a strip where the artist deliberately features massive mammeries, there's surprisingly little 'horizontal bop' going on. Seriously, the total amount of sexual activity obliquely portrayed or referred to in so many years is less than a month of my actual sex life- and I am 62 in August.
You are entitled to your opinion- just understand you are in the minority by a sizable margin... as in, I think you are pretty much alone.
Last edited by Sgt. Howard on Wed May 25, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.