Make A Run For It 2016-05-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Make A Run For It 2016-05-17

Post by jwhouk »

TazManiac wrote:My first thought was that that wasn't actually a morph'd Atsali, but rather a team-mate of hers who didn’t recognize a full-on-bear mode Nadette.

If it really is a Full raptor Atsali, well then, I need to up my game, re 'dealing with Amazons' adaptability.
Taz, you and I will look soooo smart later this week if it turns out it ISN'T Atsali...

EDIT: ...which we won't. WOG has stated that the beaked one is Atsali.
Last edited by jwhouk on Tue May 17, 2016 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Y'know, we all know Atsali's dad was an Incubus, but all we know about Incubi/Sucubi is 'Sex demon! Nudge, nudge, wink wink.' We've never seen one as a character that I remember. We've seen Atsali get a tail and bat wings, and it being said that's her incubus side coming out, but that's it. I wonder if Paul will bring one in eventually?
I'm betting that she's pure, unadulterated Siren right now. And that she hasn't accessed the full form before.
The dino beak and eviscerating claw were a surprise, wasn't expecting that!
*Cut scene of Pickle playing with toy dinosaurs, looking at Atsali's new morph, and going, 'COOL!' *
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:Nobody's making any comment on the fact that Atsali can TURN INTO A DINOSAUR?

:D :o
Not so much of a stretch, really. Birds (Aves) are known to be members of the Dinosauria clade, very probably descended from feathered theropod dinosaurs.

Atsali's current form rather resembles some of the Phorusrhacidae ("terror birds") with the addition of hands and functional wings (the Phorusrhacidae were too big to fly). Apex predators, some up to almost 10' tall... not something you'd want to meet in a dark alley, or a well-lit alley for that matter... :shock:
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

GlytchMeister wrote:Nobody's making any comment on the fact that Atsali can TURN INTO A DINOSAUR?

"Welcome to the world of the paranormal, Glytch. Normal is weird."
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

jwhouk wrote:
TazManiac wrote:My first thought was that that wasn't actually a morph'd Atsali, but rather a team-mate of hers who didn’t recognize a full-on-bear mode Nadette.

If it really is a Full raptor Atsali, well then, I need to up my game, re 'dealing with Amazons' adaptability.
Taz, you and I will look soooo smart later this week if it turns out it ISN'T Atsali...
But the tags say Atsali . . .

First train to massive guilt now boarding on platform one . . .

--FreeFlier
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I was going to vote Gryphon, but PW has stated this is Atsali's full Siren form.

So - now we know what a Wapsiverse Siren looks like! Rather a bit more than the cute, muddled teenager Katherine met in the Library, eh? Now we get to wonder what the Incubus looks like, as we've only seen the tail....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

I suppose that there must be rule against "morphing" into your true form in a way that scares, terrorizes or otherwise impinges upon your classmates--if only because of the potential for damage to the facilities and buildings. The MIB can cover for most incidents, but several too close together will attract unwanted attention. Then there is the potential for pissing off the parents/family of a wounded or deceased child---I doubt Poseidon would be all that forgiving of something bad happening to his niece due to negligence or malice.

All that being said, it is time for an adult to step in and restore order. Which raises a few questions. Where the hell is aunty Monica? Whatever happened to Cricket and Dietziel? and this is only TUESDAY! ! !
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I suspect Abbie and Devyn are like:

Abbie: I'm not telling her, you tell her...

Devyn: NoooOOOOoooo... I'm not telling her YOU tell her!!!

Much later:

Nadette: Did anyone get the number of that truck?

Abbie: I think it said Atsali Freight Company on the side...

Devyn: Dammit Abbie!!!

Needless to say when Atsali finds out what she's done, she'd going to be inconsolable...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:

Not so much of a stretch, really. Birds (Aves) are known to be members of the Dinosauria clade, very probably descended from feathered theropod dinosaurs.

Atsali's current form rather resembles some of the Phorusrhacidae ("terror birds") with the addition of hands and functional wings (the Phorusrhacidae were too big to fly). Apex predators, some up to almost 10' tall... not something you'd want to meet in a dark alley, or a well-lit alley for that matter... :shock:
OH, no, I totally got that connection already, it's just my Inner Child is geeking out because DINOSAUR.

(I was a lot like Calvin when I was his age.)
Just Old Al wrote:

"Welcome to the world of the paranormal, Glytch. Normal is weird."
"And weird. Is. AWESOME!" Glytch smiled gleefully and he began to talk faster and faster. "I wonder if I can get an X-ray of her and compare it with fossil records, maybe figure out what her species evolved from! Oh, man, the combination of mammalian and reptilian and avian traits... Maybe there's a connection to platypuses and echidna? How far back does that branch on the tree of life go? And that BEAK! LOOK AT THAT BEAK! It looks like... Like... I can't even think of a modern bird species with a beak structured like that! And she has teeth! I wonder if the tongue is barbed. What kind of feather structure does she use? I bet something closer to raptors or sea birds, but maybe she has owl feathers? Does she have the hydrophobic properties of a duck? *GASP* What's her digestive system like?!? Did she GROW a gizzard? Or is it always there?"
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:"*GASP* What's her digestive system like?!? Did she GROW a gizzard? Or is it always there?"
Had Pablo told us whether she's particularly fond of rock candy?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Glytch, there's a centaur over here that wants to have a worrrrrrd with you...

(And a "mama bear" who looks like she's locked and loaded with triple irises...)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:Glytch, there's a centaur over here that wants to have a worrrrrrd with you...

(And a "mama bear" who looks like she's locked and loaded with triple irises...)
"Whaaaat? It's not like I'm gonna do a vivisection! Honestly, you people always assume the worst! I just want some XRays and MRI's and stuff. Completely non-invasive!"
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Poor Katherine must buy her kids clothing wholesale. Perhaps she ought to just dress Atsali up in ponchos.
KnightDelight wrote:Someone may have mentioned this and it was answered but I don't feel like going back through the previous comments to find out, so ... I wonder if that is an Ursamorph's actual look? She's unconscious and still holding that shape after all.
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Perhaps an ursamorph who is rendered unconscious stays in whatever form she was in when it happened - that is, it takes a conscious effort to change.
She kept human form despite being passed-out drunk. So my guess would be that it either takes effort or the right stimulus (such as a hot gal with a can of whipped topping) to change shape, but whatever shape she's in at any given moment is sort of a ground state (would that mean that we can describe Nadette as being degenerate?). Which then leaves the possibility of changing shape while unconscious due to dreaming.
jwhouk wrote:Paul Taylor
Full siren form.
I doubt that this form would be quite so effective, sans song, at luring sailors. More a "flee yonder" rather than a "come hither" look.
meisdadoo wrote:I suppose that there must be rule against "morphing" into your true form in a way that scares, terrorizes or otherwise impinges upon your classmates--if only because of the potential for damage to the facilities and buildings.
When Castela did so, she was just scolded for not using her indoor voice.
GlytchMeister wrote:"I wonder if I can get an X-ray of her and compare it with fossil records, maybe figure out what her species evolved from! Oh, man, the combination of mammalian and reptilian and avian traits... Maybe there's a connection to platypuses and echidna? How far back does that branch on the tree of life go? And that BEAK! LOOK AT THAT BEAK! It looks like... Like... I can't even think of a modern bird species with a beak structured like that! And she has teeth! I wonder if the tongue is barbed. What kind of feather structure does she use? I bet something closer to raptors or sea birds, but maybe she has owl feathers? Does she have the hydrophobic properties of a duck? *GASP* What's her digestive system like?!? Did she GROW a gizzard? Or is it always there?"
And how is she able to pronounce all of those consonants with a beak?
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Catawampus wrote:Which then leaves the possibility of changing shape while unconscious due to dreaming.
Yeah, that can have unexpected results.
Catawampus wrote:And how is she able to pronounce all of those consonants with a beak?
There's a simple and obvious one-word answer.

(And those have to be the most laid-back parents in several multiverses.)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Catawampus wrote:And how is she able to pronounce all of those consonants with a beak?
Holy carp, you're right! No lips and a totally different chase of the oral cavity and a completely new dental structure... Maybe she has an articulate soft palate inside the beak? Or maybe she can do different kinds of glottal stops and other things with her vocal cords and stuff in her throat and windpipe to make consonants...
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Maybe the beak is flexible like a platypus's?

Or this form is a projective telepath.

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Holy carp, you're right! No lips and a totally different chase of the oral cavity and a completely new dental structure... Maybe she has an articulate soft palate inside the beak? Or maybe she can do different kinds of glottal stops and other things with her vocal cords and stuff in her throat and windpipe to make consonants...
Hyacinthine macaws and quite a few other parrots are able to emulate human speech without requiring lips. Their vocalization process is apparently quite a bit different than that of mammals but is very capable nevertheless.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:
Hyacinthine macaws and quite a few other parrots are able to emulate human speech without requiring lips. Their vocalization process is apparently quite a bit different than that of mammals but is very capable nevertheless.
I think crows can learn to mimic speech, and then there're mynahs.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
eee

Post by eee »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:"*GASP* What's her digestive system like?!? Did she GROW a gizzard? Or is it always there?"
Had Pablo told us whether she's particularly fond of rock candy?
Cookies... :D
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

GlytchMeister wrote:What's her digestive system like?!? Did she GROW a gizzard? Or is it always there?
Dunno. But any bird fancier might think she has a crop at first glimpse...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.