Jaguar Girl 2012-09-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Geek_on_call

Re: Jaguar Girl 2012-09-14

Post by Geek_on_call »

sonicthunder wrote:You know, today's update triggered a thought in my head. How much does Wapsi's human-ish cast actually weigh?

Given their physical appearance, you'd assume next to nothing (Shelly or Brandi probably the heaviest just due to muscle or general size, possibly Officer TB if you count him in the cast, though the heaviest humanoid in Wapsi history probably goes to Lakshmi for obvious reasons). But then again, Bud was able to fall hard enough to put a hole in a concrete road, and the fall wasn't all that far (even with the skates' momentum). Do the GGG weigh like human-sized stone/clay structures? But what about when humanized Jin visited the hospital? Does lack of a normal "soul" impact Tina's weight? Does Shelly weigh as much as her Sphynx form when human? And what about the immortals able to assume a human form (Phix, Euryale, Nudge, etc)?

Yes, this has no real bearing on anything and is probably a waste of time to wonder (let alone type and read). Still, there it is.

Jaguar Girls ??? http://www.jaguars.com/cheerleaders/index.html
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
- Groucho Marx
Geek_on_call

Post by Geek_on_call »

Fairportfan wrote:
Yamara wrote:For those in the Confusion Corner over whether Monica surrendered control over the GGs, well, Shelly's spelled that one out boy howdy. She hasn't. Though maybe she thought she had by granting them their freedom.

And maybe she hasn't been reminded of that until now for good reason.
The RSO's "Destruct" button is a "control".

But all it can do is blow up a malfunctioning rocket.
http://www.nccs.gov/jaguar/

Jaguar Girl ???
- Groucho Marx
Geek_on_call

Post by Geek_on_call »

Jabberwonky wrote:With much wailing and gnashing of teeth I submit this here instead of on the Arts board...(the sand is up and that makes for wonky connectivity)

EDIT: This is what I was trying to upload...
Jaguar Woman ?

http://www.jaguarwoman.com/
- Groucho Marx
Geek_on_call

Post by Geek_on_call »

Fairportfan wrote:
Yamara wrote:In fact, Bud's conversation with M, following right after the above one with Tina, is even more interesting in retrospect.
Yeah - particularly in the first panel here.

So Paul's not springing something new on us; he's simply exploring an aspect he had hinted at before, and naming it.
Jaguar Temple ??? http://www.jaguarusa.com/
- Groucho Marx
Geek_on_call

Post by Geek_on_call »

- Groucho Marx
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Nah. But isn't she a bit young to be a Cougar Girl?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

My problem with the revised lyrics is that I've heard that song so many times in my life, the meter to it is just all wrong.

(Yes, I'm officially old: I remember when "Jessie's Girl" first came out as a song.)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:My problem with the revised lyrics is that I've heard that song so many times in my life, the meter to it is just all wrong.

(Yes, I'm officially old: I remember when "Jessie's Girl" first came out as a song.)
Heh.

Old?

Came out in 1981.

I was ten-and-a-half The Day the Music Died.

I remember improvising hilarious (to us) parodies of "Love Me Tender" as we walked home from the third grade...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Fairportfan wrote: No - that's GGGG
Well, now, that's interesting... and raises a question:

Are THEY the guardians? In that case, they are indeed the Golem Girl Guardians (notice the lack of an 's' on Girl, as it becomes a descriptive of guardian - if you wanted 'guardian' to be a descriptive of their being Golem girls - plural - then it would be Guardian [singular] Golem Girls [plural]), so that their being gorgeous would make them the Gorgeous Golem Girl Guardians or the the Gorgeous Guardian Golem Girls - GGGG in either instance (notice the Gorgeous now is at the beginning, as per grammatical rules - as best I can figure)

On the other hand, are they "merely" the Golem Girls, and Monica is the Golem Girls' Guardian? If that is the case, you will want to specify whom you wish to describe as gorgeous, and the acronym will change depending on whether you talk about the golem girls or about Monica and who, specifically, is being described as gorgeous...
The preceding sentence was brought to you by the Redundancy Department of Redundancy

Talking about the girls:
Golem Girls - GG
The girls are the gorgeous ones:
Gorgeous Golem Girls - GGG

Talking about Monica:
Golem Girls' Guardian - GGG

The girls are the gorgeous ones:
Gorgeous Golem Girls' Guardian - GGGG

Monica is the gorgeous one:
Golem Girls' Gorgeous Guardian - GGGG

Both Monica and the girls are gorgeous:
Gorgeous Golem Girls' Gorgeous Guardian - GGGGG

I hope this short dissertation on the subject was helpful.

The preceding explanation was brought to you by the Confusion Corner, where you are always welcome, our couch is comfortable, and we'll never force you to leave.

P.S. jwhouk's comment, with its "Giggly" adjective, posted while I was still editing my own post, opens a whole new can of worms, as it pertains to definitions as described above. It took me long enough to write the above comment, keeping track of the colored 'G's, I am not adding Giggly to the list for now... Anyone else can feel free to improve on my work.
So, then, GGG is a TLA (Three Letter Acronym)
GGGG is a ETLA (Extended Three Letter Acronym)
GGGGG is a SETLA (Super-Extended Three Letter Acronym)

What's next? A DSETLA? FDSELTA (Fuller Double-Super-Extended Three Letter Acronym)?
Last edited by bmonk on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

sonicthunder wrote:You know, today's update triggered a thought in my head. How much does Wapsi's human-ish cast actually weigh?

Given their physical appearance, you'd assume next to nothing (Shelly or Brandi probably the heaviest just due to muscle or general size, possibly Officer TB if you count him in the cast, though the heaviest humanoid in Wapsi history probably goes to Lakshmi for obvious reasons). But then again, Bud was able to fall hard enough to put a hole in a concrete road, and the fall wasn't all that far (even with the skates' momentum). Do the GGG weigh like human-sized stone/clay structures? But what about when humanized Jin visited the hospital? Does lack of a normal "soul" impact Tina's weight? Does Shelly weigh as much as her Sphynx form when human? And what about the immortals able to assume a human form (Phix, Euryale, Nudge, etc)?

Yes, this has no real bearing on anything and is probably a waste of time to wonder (let alone type and read). Still, there it is.
My bad memory....I can't remember the name of the really thin model - her sister was plus-sized (looked kind of like Ella <3) that ran the restaurant. Also, lakshmi's sister was plus-sized, but not as tall as Lakshmi; Lakshmi probably weighs more 'cause of muscle mass versus adipose tissue; still can't tell about the model's sister, don't know relative heights.

More data to crunch.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:My bad memory....I can't remember the name of the really thin model...
Georgette
=====================
=====================
mike weber
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Thanks! Now can you remember her sister's name, and the name of Lakshmi's sister? :)
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

zachariah wrote:
ShadOBabe wrote:
zachariah wrote:They went to the temple of the Jaguar to find the calander machine if I remember right. Why that would make her a jaguar girl escapes me, Wouldn't that make her a calander girl instead?
*shakes the pun jar*
Not a pun. Just an observation. Now if I had said 'Just to be catty, wouldn't that make her a clander girl?' That would qualify.
<clink> Some spare claw clippings I found under the couch.

Yes we clip the cats claws. She beats up on our poor toy poodle.
Better than declawing.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Julie

Post by Julie »

NOTDilbert wrote:Thanks! Now can you remember her sister's name, and the name of Lakshmi's sister? :)
Georgette's sister was Jill. Lakshmi's sister would take more of an archive crawl than I have time for right now. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Julie wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:Thanks! Now can you remember her sister's name, and the name of Lakshmi's sister? :)
Georgette's sister was Jill. Lakshmi's sister would take more of an archive crawl than I have time for right now. :)
Sometimes, it's easier to just pull out the Big Orange Book. (The one I hope to someday have Paul sign.)

(flips the pages) She was never formally named in the comic, but I believe Pablo gave her a name off-screen.

In fact (for those of you who are REAL forum hounds), you may not realize this but she has TWO sisters. Jaheel and Makshi Prasad. Makshi is the younger one who told Lakshimi she had a phone call, while Jaheel was the one who intimidated Owen.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Your Geek Fu is strong, O Master.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

jwhouk wrote:
Julie wrote:
Sometimes, it's easier to just pull out the Big Orange Book. (The one I hope to someday have Paul sign.)

(flips the pages) She was never formally named in the comic, but I believe Pablo gave her a name off-screen.

In fact (for those of you who are REAL forum hounds), you may not realize this but she has TWO sisters. Jaheel and Makshi Prasad. Makshi is the younger one who told Lakshimi she had a phone call, while Jaheel was the one who intimidated Owen.
Someday I hope to have the fundage for the Big Orange Book, and all the others....Many thanks.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...I bought the Orange Book NEW. :P ;)
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

I knew there was another take on this comic, but it didn't come to me until I went back a ways to check on something else.

Monica claims to be 4'10" and 102 pounds dripping wet--
It reminded me of the line in Liar, Liar where Fletcher (Jim Carrey) is reading Dana's driver's license: "Weight, 105. Yeah, in your bra!"
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

bmonk wrote:I knew there was another take on this comic, but it didn't come to me until I went back a ways to check on something else.

Monica claims to be 4'10" and 102 pounds dripping wet--
It reminded me of the line in Liar, Liar where Fletcher (Jim Carrey) is reading Dana's driver's license: "Weight, 105. Yeah, in your bra!"
One of the Travis McGee novels features a motel housekeeper McGee enlists to help hom in something. She says that if he needs to find her, just go to the black part of town (Florida in the 1960s) and ask for "Forty Pound".

He is rather takne aback, and she says she has a Reputation for taking no crap, and that someone who had watched her dealing with Unwanted Advances had remarked "There go a hundred-pound girl. Sixty pound'a mean and forty pound'a boobs."
=====================
=====================
mike weber