Should Be 2012-09-13

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Wdot

Re: Should Be 2012-09-13

Post by Wdot »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Respect. I think Monica may be working up an apology to Phix. Maybe to Shelly as well. She hasn't respected Phix nearly as much as she should have, given Phix's greater life experience, wisdom, status, etc. She treated her like one of the girls too often. She's even been a brat to her, as well as, a stern judge. It's dawning on her that Phix never was just a another friend. The relationship between Phix and Monica is more of an adult to a child. Monica is a toddler compared to Phix. Compared to Shelly for that matter. Shelly may want her old relationship with Monica back, but to Monica that can never be. Shelly is actually a sphinx. Just that she is in human form for the moment, and she has been a sphinx over 3,000 times longer than she has been a human. I believe there will be a meeting somewhere in the middle between Monica and Phix, with Phix being more open about who she is and how she really feels. Much the same with Shelly and Phix, and Shelly and Monica. All in all, Shelly should already have more of an affinity with Phix than anyone, largely due to her 80,000 year existence as a bona-fide sage-worthy sphinx.
I like your thoughts on this. We humans are as mayflies to half this cast, and a little respect is warranted even if they weren't potentially dangerous.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
eee

Post by eee »

On the one hand, I'm glad Monica is talking about her problems. That's a LOT better than cowering for two weeks, or cutting off old friends because it's suddenly sunk in they might be dangerous. Even if said friends (and everyone else) have been TELLING you they're dangerous, and you've been up to your eyebrows in De Nile. Shelly even offered at one point to pull Monica's jaw off to illustrate how dangerous she was, and M just shrugged, the message not sinking in. Hopefully this will help Monica mature and get a better grasp of her situation and herself.

But.

Shelly was the one who in a single afternoon had her life blown up. She found out she'd been manipulated into her relationship with Justin, that Phix was her grandmother, and - perhaps - that her mother HADN'T died of a heart attack when Shelly was young, her mother was Bia and she'd just decided to leave, and Shelly's life long grief and guilt over not being able to summon help and save her mommy were for nothing. That's she's still standing proves how tough she is. 80,000 years can make you resilient. That she apparently came to terms with things without M's help, and is now trying to help M instead even as Monica focuses only on herself, raises questions about who is the real friend here. Sage of the Forest or not.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Ah, the stages of dealing with Bad News:

- Anger
- Denial
- Bargaining
- Depression
- Acceptance

Think were getting to the final phase.

So remember folks - Always Drink Alcohol Before Doing Anything!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Alex_H

Post by Alex_H »

What about a pointed stick? ;)

seriously though, good stuff.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

I'm kind of wondering now- two weeks have gone by. Has anyone broken the news to Justin about Shelly being part Titan? Or that he's one himself? And aren't Epimethius and Bia siblings? I know the Greek pantheon never gave two whits about that sort of thing, but this isn't ancient Greece...

And where are the rest of the guys? And why is it they never get invited along on these beach trips?
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Flion

Post by Flion »

Public Service Notice: Please don't poke the (f)lions.
(but it's Ok to pet us... ;) )
"High-level languages are for sissies. Real Programmers program down to the bare metal."
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Jay-Em wrote: ... plús the teensy fact that she's a very astute "self-preservation-panic-poiter" ...
That's the other shoe here. Despite being able to outrun an explosion, in progress, via emergency poiting without even having to think about it (not to mention being blind drunk) she still has not come to the realization she is, for all practical purposes, invulnerable. Heck, she was able to even take Jin along for the ride. She has nothing to fear from Phix or Shelly, even if they did go sphinxievil on her ass in a moment of uncontrollable rage. Unless they can also nullify her poiting ability she is literally untouchable. Though I do wonder where she would go if one attacked her at home.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Bathorys Daughter wrote: Though I do wonder where she would go if one attacked her at home.
The new sandbar, the library, Kevin's place, the museum, 30K feet up, etc, etc.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Aleister Crow wrote: ... And where are the rest of the guys? And why is it they never get invited along on these beach trips?
Single girls get together all the time, without their SOs. This is just an advanced form of the coffee shop meetup. Who's to say they don't bring along their beau at other times, just one on one? Most girls also don't like bringing their guys to get togethers in which there will be a gaggle of attractive single women either. Even if they do already know each other. If they all bring their BFs, ok. But even that can be awkward for any that come alone, like Tina, Bud, and Brandi. It could be they have the occasional couples only good time BBQ, who knows.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Dave

Post by Dave »

eee wrote:On the one hand, I'm glad Monica is talking about her problems. That's a LOT better than cowering for two weeks, or cutting off old friends because it's suddenly sunk in they might be dangerous.
Agreed. If you've got fears or phobias, talking about them honestly seems to be the best way of defusing them. It works better than denying or ignoring them, and better than "reframing" or rationalizing them. What Monica is doing here, is quite healthy.

I agree with what others have said...Monica has yet to really acknowledge that she, too, is a lion in her own way. Having respect for other lions is a good thing... she's playing in the big leagues now, and normal "human" conventions aren't necessarily adequate any more... but she needs to have respect for herself as a powerful player, too!
That's she's still standing proves how tough she is. 80,000 years can make you resilient. That she apparently came to terms with things without M's help, and is now trying to help M instead even as Monica focuses only on herself, raises questions about who is the real friend here. Sage of the Forest or not.
Shelly told Justin that "The girl who blew up her gas grill has had time to grow up." Here we see some of the benefit... she seems to have resolved at least some of the very human feelings of conflict over her heritage, rather than gone into a tailspin of depression and emotional overload. Prior to her time in the Forest, I doubt she'd have handled it so well.

I do want to know what Nudge said to her (and what Phix may have said, if the story timeline has actually been jumping around during these two weeks). Shelly may not have had to try to deal with the trauma of recent events all by herself, as Monica has apparently done.

I think that the experience Monica has just been through, can help her to be a better friend to Shelly once M has fully come to terms with it... because M will now understand Shelly better, and will be more able to appreciate Shelly's concerns and issues. Monica certainly won't blow off Shelly's concerns about the dangers inherent in her sphinxliness, that's for sure!
as363

Post by as363 »

Very interesting - the next few days should be veery interesting - to say the least .
rickklages

Post by rickklages »

As it has been already stated the significance of M's actions and feelings all come down to lifespan. She will just be the topic of a season if she has only three score and ten. Remembered for her part in fixing the the calendar and ending the endless cycle of resets. But her active part in the larger story will be too short by any standard. I think Phix may have seen this situation before. Or perhaps we will learn something about M we never guessed or she may be granted permanence by whatever holds the Wapsi universe together. Perhaps she is the Avatar of that force.
Jerry Lewis

Post by Jerry Lewis »

Sorry to be so late about this, but shouldn't it be "accepted" rather than "excepted" in the last panel?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jerry Lewis wrote:Sorry to be so late about this, but shouldn't it be "accepted" rather than "excepted" in the last panel?
Pablo has already fixed it... hit Refresh in your browser.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Flion wrote:Public Service Notice: Please don't poke the (f)lions.
Hey! You're back! :)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Are we back at the same beach scene? Is Shelly wearing yet ANOTHER swimsuit?! How many does one girl need to bring to a beach outing?

I also really expected the off-screen speaker in panel one to be Phix....Assuming this is, in fact, 'two weeks later.'
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Flion

Post by Flion »

jwhouk wrote:
Hey! You're back! :)
Yeah, I checked in a couple of weeks ago. I don't spend nearly as much time on forums these days but I couldn't resist the 'poke the lions' opening.
"High-level languages are for sissies. Real Programmers program down to the bare metal."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

*/glomp* YAY! long time no see since the old Inkies boards(which have a new home)... Still flying high in the sky?
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir