Predats And Bevies 2016-04-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Predats And Bevies 2016-04-20

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

What's a "bevy"?

"Predat", obviously. But what's the derivation of "bevie"?
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Re: Predats And Bevies 2106-04-20

Post by GlytchMeister »

A bevy is one of those group words: troop, gaggle, pride, flock... That sort of thing.

I don't know what it might be in this context, though...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:What's a "bevy"?

"Predat", obviously. But what's the derivation of "bevie"?
My question exactly, a bevy is a group of birds (can't recall the species off the top of my head) but Bevie implies this is a singleton not a group.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:A bevy is one of those group words: troop, gaggle, pride, flock... That sort of thing.

I don't know what it might be in this context, though...
Maybe an implication that the non-predatory paras tend to form larger social groups, while the predators tend to be more solitary?

(or just an admission that when a predator arrives on the scene, all of its potential prey are just totally flocked?)
Thor

Post by Thor »

I thought maybe it was short for "benevolent", but that would be "benvy".
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

On Facebook, Paul is saying it's just a para term for non-predat; no hint as to etymology.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'll Ockham this Razor: it's because there's more non-predatory Paras than there are Predators.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Hanineal

Post by Hanineal »

I just assumed it was short for herbivore.
What happens in the lab needs to stay in the lab... because it's such a bloody drag to have to rebuild civilization all over again.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

It also seems the the queen b and her entourage are all predators.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Oh, so Mrs. Adler is one of those . . . equality no matter what it costs those it's supposed to benefit.
Hanineal wrote:I just assumed it was short for herbivore.
My guess too, though it doesn't seem quite right . . .
oldmanmickey wrote:It also seems the the queen b and her entourage are all predators.
Well, that's right!

Even among humans, even if the blood isn't literal . . . the pain is real, though.

This queen bee seems to be a bit embarrassed, though.

And her ladybear hasn't even had a say . . .

--FreeFlier
illiad

Post by illiad »

well in northern England and Scotland, a 'bevy' is a large round of drinks... :) :P
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bevy

though a 'bevie' (note spelling!) means a horrible girl... ??
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bevie
(though I get the feeling it was a girl called 'Beverly' that hates the guy posting that entry!! :o )

and a lot of others....
'a large group of things' (mostly drinks, in Scotland!)
short for 'beverage'..

town or person's name..

etc....
Last edited by illiad on Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

I wonder if this might go deeper than just Atsali? Kind of sounds like Mrs. Adler was trying to push something a little more open, which isn't inherently a bad thing. Might be interesting to see how Paranormal Politics work out, if the story goes down that road.

While we're seeing things from one point of view, Katherine wasn't terribly different from an outraged mother that didn't like that her daughter was around people who like their own gender. Something tells me we won't see that sort of connection though.

Edit: Mind I understand there's a different between "might be torn to pieces" and "oh god my daughter might become gay!" But it's the reaction that I find similar. Jessie's face in the second panel also suggests she may agree with Mrs. Adler.
Last edited by Akeche on Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I can see why Mrs Adler was suspended... She undoubtedly wound Atsali up, making her think she was the shiz... the badassest lacrosse player to play for Gryphon in a decade or more... Atsali took her to heart, not realizing she was being played for Mrs. Adler's "optics" (Adler: "Hey, I put up a winning team this year!!!") Meanwhile, how many other students were battered in the process? I'm just surprised that Kath had to be the adult in the room... other faculty should have caught that waaaaay before Kath did.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
illiad

Post by illiad »

well it may be 'nice' to rip someone apart, but then there is the murder enquiry, the jail sentence, etc, etc....
(and I guess Mrs. Adler was 'high' on something - "hey she was going to equalise, we needed that score!!! :twisted: :twisted: " )

To say nothing about ruining the reputation of the school, and even the whole sport... every time a boxer gets a really bad injury, calls are made to ban it, etc...
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

AmriloJim wrote:On Facebook, Paul is saying it's just a para term for non-predat; no hint as to etymology.
joy....

So, where do omnivores and scavengers lie on the scale?

I know they tend to just get lump in with the predatory group, but that's not necessarily fair.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Gyrrakavian wrote: So, where do omnivores and scavengers lie on the scale?
I know they tend to just get lump in with the predatory group, but that's not necessarily fair.
On the lunch table along with everything else that's not an apex predator.

I would assume there is some sort of a food chain, but it's a lot more competitive I suspect because of the sheer number of species involved.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

Realistically in a modern age nobody is eating anybody else in the para community. Sphinxes are... well I've not seen any except for Phix and Shelly and something tells me Shelly has a fridge stocked with meat.

You don't become a modernized civilization without having more reliable sources of food than "You made me mad, so I'll eat you."
jwhouk

Re: Predats And Bevies 2016-04-20

Post by jwhouk »

DilyV: she was playing Field Hockey, not Lacrosse.

In Lacrosse, killing your opponent (under the "Original" rules by Native American tribes) was more acceptable...

;) :lol:

EDIT: No one noticed that we all were posting... IN DA FYU-CHA!!!!????
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Akasha

Post by Akasha »

bevy referred specifically to a group of deer, quail, larks, or young ladies. Scholars aren't certain why bevy was chosen for those groups (though they have theories). What is known for sure is that bevy first appeared in the 15th century and was used as a highly specific collective for many years. Today, however, bevies can include anything from football players to toaster ovens.

from merriam-webster ...
lake_wrangler

Re: Predats And Bevies 2016-04-20

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:EDIT: No one noticed that we all were posting... IN DA FYU-CHA!!!!????
100 years, to be precise... Will Wapsi Square still be going on strong, by then? How many generations of characters will have passed, at that point? :mrgreen: