Talk With You Later 2016-04-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
illiad

Re: Talk With You Later 2016-04-15

Post by illiad »

Also, anyone following schlockmercenary ? they have many 'intelligent' types, that are basically elephants, giant apes, I think I saw a shark (but memory fail where :p) , and other types that are not 'paranormal' - just 'normal guys' - I would guess 'Mr. Meadows' is that..

example:
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2016-04-15
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

I do like the effect used in the last panel, where Katherine's words are in a text box that's to large.

Giving the impression of, perhaps, quietly/softly spoken words that manage to convey anger/rage + scary levels of self control ?
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

illiad wrote:Also, anyone following schlockmercenary ? they have many 'intelligent' types, that are basically elephants, giant apes, I think I saw a shark (but memory fail where :p) , and other types that are not 'paranormal' - just 'normal guys' - I would guess 'Mr. Meadows' is that..
Schlock Mercenary characters can be classed as Natural Beings (Humans, Eniocs, etc. - most species, actually), Uplifted Beings (elephants, gorillas), Artificial Intelligences, Other (Schlock, the Gavs and possibly Vog, so far) and Godlike (Petey and the Dark Matter Entities).

Godlike is the only group that can really be described as having paranormal-like powers.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Petey and the Dark Matter Entities? Is that a band? Is my question a joke?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Grantwhy wrote:I do like the effect used in the last panel, where Katherine's words are in a text box that's to large.

Giving the impression of, perhaps, quietly/softly spoken words that manage to convey anger/rage + scary levels of self control ?
Oh, yes. I think that's why Mrs. Adler is looking so apprehensive.

I imagine it would be like seeing a high-class Bolo equipped with smoking-hot infinite repeaters and 50 megaton-seconds of firepower, which has just finished smashing is way through the city walls, come to a stop, idle its engines, and then turn its turret towards you and focus a small-caliber laser sighting beam right on your forehead.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:I do like the effect used in the last panel, where Katherine's words are in a text box that's to large.

Oh, yes. I think that's why Mrs. Adler is looking so apprehensive.

I imagine it would be like seeing a high-class Bolo equipped with smoking-hot infinite repeaters and 50 megaton-seconds of firepower, which has just finished smashing is way through the city walls, come to a stop, idle its engines, and then turn its turret towards you and focus a small-caliber laser sighting beam right on your forehead.
"Oh. Hai."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
illiad

Post by illiad »

FreeFlier wrote:
illiad wrote:Also, anyone following schlockmercenary ? they have many 'intelligent' types, that are basically elephants, giant apes, I think I saw a shark (but memory fail where :p) , and other types that are not 'paranormal' - just 'normal guys' - I would guess 'Mr. Meadows' is that..
Schlock Mercenary characters can be classed as Natural Beings (Humans, Eniocs, etc. - most species, actually), Uplifted Beings (elephants, gorillas), Artificial Intelligences, Other (Schlock, the Gavs and possibly Vog, so far) and Godlike (Petey and the Dark Matter Entities).

Godlike is the only group that can really be described as having paranormal-like powers.

--FreeFlier
paranormal??? Not necessarily... "any science that is sufficiently advanced, cannot be distinguished from magic"...

Have you heard of'rick and morty' ?? "this planet has only people with six legs, so two-legged people are considered 'disabled' :) :P " :D
Last edited by illiad on Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Dave wrote:For Baxter and Boo specifically, we already have "goofy doggy" (Shelly) and "knucklehead fleabags" (Tsillah). Do we need a third term?
I thought the twenty-second amendment barred a third term...
Much gladness that I was not actually drinking coffee when I read that. :lol: Two points, JW, and I won't even bill you for the straight-line setup. ;)

Have to admit that it's relevant, though. Having a poorly housetrained, fire breathing monster as our head of state would not be unprecedented.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Dave wrote:For Baxter and Boo specifically, we already have "goofy doggy" (Shelly) and "knucklehead fleabags" (Tsillah). Do we need a third term?
I thought the twenty-second amendment barred a third term...
Much gladness that I was not actually drinking coffee when I read that. :lol: Two points, JW, and I won't even bill you for the straight-line setup. ;)

Have to admit that it's relevant, though. Having a poorly housetrained, fire breathing monster as our head of state would not be unprecedented.
It's like being forced to choose between two bowls of crap. They just smell different.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

GlytchMeister's signature wrote:He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
I'm too much!
Catchy! Nice sig. :D
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

It's worth noting that Kath is a para, herself. She has a certain knack for survival and endurance well beyond that of a normal human. Also, if she is starting to show a little age, remember that she is about 50 years old, or more.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

jeffepp wrote:It's worth noting that Kath is a para, herself. She has a certain knack for survival and endurance well beyond that of a normal human. Also, if she is starting to show a little age, remember that she is about 50 years old, or more.
Well, on a technicality, she's about 6,370 years old, because she was conceived that long ago...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

FreeFlier wrote:Supernatural beings like the cerebrei were never human . . . we need a better term for those.
Nearly all of the paranormals were never human. Exceptions I can think of: the vampires, Katherine (still is human), the golem girls, possibly Monica.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:
jwhouk wrote:I had a sudden thought after looking at the page again:
Fish fry Friday.
What type of para was the swim instructor, again? I know she's not a mermaid.
Given that her name is "Adler", it wouldn't surprise me if she's a flyer - and another raptor.
Adler is German for Eagle...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
AnotherFairportfan

jeffepp wrote:It's worth noting that Kath is a para, herself. She has a certain knack for survival and endurance well beyond that of a normal human. Also, if she is starting to show a little age, remember that she is about 50 years old, or more.
Assuming that Wapsi Time more or less matches "Real" World time, she is forty-six.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

lake_wrangler wrote:
GlytchMeister's signature wrote:He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
I'm too much!
Catchy! Nice sig. :D
It is arguably too catchy... It's getting close to Ear worm territory... :P
I'm too much!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

FreeFlier wrote:Mr. Wahnee is of paranormal ancestry, but has never exhibited paranormal powers, unless you count surviving raising Shelly.
That's not enough evidence? we are talking a girl that threw big-block engines around like toys even before she developed her sphinxyness.

And you left out Shelly's older brothers. He mom kept trying until she got a girl.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Opus the Poet wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:Mr. Wahnee is of paranormal ancestry, but has never exhibited paranormal powers, unless you count surviving raising Shelly.
That's not enough evidence? we are talking a girl that threw big-block engines around like toys even before she developed her sphinxyness.
And dangled a fifty-pound weight on a string from her big toe while talking on the phone.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

And shouted so hard it bent a car antenna from several feet away
I'm too much!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

IIRC, Paul hissownself has mentioned that boy sphinxes'es don't have the ability to change into the feral form. (If in fact the lion form is the base form and the bi-pedal form is a metamorphosis...)
I don't know that they have much by way of paranormal abilities at all...

Except maybe for Mr. Wahnee's close to infinite patience...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous