Not Forgotten 2016-03-02

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Not Forgotten 2016-03-02

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

The Potter's Field.

And Suzi.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Re: Not Forgotten 2016-03-02

Post by Dave »

And so, she keeps faith.

I have no idea if Suzi has a religion, but I think she'd appreciate the sentiment of the Catholic "Prayer For The Forgotten"

Receive our prayers, dear Lord,
For those who have none
To pray for them.
They departed this life
Without loved ones
To mourn their going...

So often, the gift we can best give to others, is the gift we most needed ourselves.
Last edited by Dave on Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Dave wrote:And so, she keeps the faith.

I have no idea if Suzi has a religion, but I think she'd appreciate the sentiment of the Catholic "Prayer For The Forgotten"

Receive our prayers, dear Lord,
For those who have none
To pray for them.
They departed this life
Without loved ones
To mourn their going...

So often, the gift we can best give to others, is the gift we most needed ourselves.
Especially considering that being forgotten is part of the in-verse explanation for how vampires come about.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

So as long as she keeps putting flowers on their graves until the corpses are decomposed they won't get vamped?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
Dave wrote:So often, the gift we can best give to others, is the gift we most needed ourselves.
Especially considering that being forgotten is part of the in-verse explanation for how vampires come about.
Exactly so. I think she is not doing this at all casually or by chance.

This is shaping up as quite a week of bootlegger mood-turns, isn't it? Paul has a lot of strings on that cello of his!
Opus the Poet wrote:So as long as she keeps putting flowers on their graves until the corpses are decomposed they won't get vamped?
Might be something like that. Might be more metaphysical... hold their memories bright, until their spirits/souls/whatever feel free to move on.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Bless you Suzi... for keeping the faith and for just being you...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

No the reason she does this is to prevent others from becoming what she is. I wonder if the hierarchy of the Waspiverse is based on shear damage they are able to do. If so that would explain why vamps are so low of the totem pole. They are barely a threat to humans.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

oldmanmickey wrote:No the reason she does this is to prevent others from becoming what she is. . . .
That may not be the only reason she does this.

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You know, it's funny but I was just thinking about this the other day. There has to be some other "thing" that happens in the transformation of the dead into a vampire, other than being forgotten.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Raventhorne

Post by Raventhorne »

betting it was that dead girl that suzie drained in the bathtub so she wouldn't become a vampire
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

She put flowers on more than one grave.

--FreeFlier
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

FreeFlier wrote:She put flowers on more than one grave.

--FreeFlier
The 'Jane Doe' that Raventhorne mentioned was not Suzie's first... her conversation with the MIBs suggested this was a routine event.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I don't think being forgotten once you are already dead causes vampire genesis... If that were the case, there'd be a whole horde of vampires. They'd outnumber living humans by an order of magnitude.

I think it takes someone to die and already be alone and forgotten... Or maybe there's a time limit? Or a certain level of structural integrity the body must retain in order to rise again? I mean, Suzie drained the one Jane Doe, and that did the trick, right? Or was it her efforts to ensure she was remembered?

*shrug*

A wizard did it. Something tells me the mechanics behind vampirism aren't what's important here... It's the emotions.

Susie... Jeeze... It must be tough having the weight of the knowledge of all those unknown dead people on her mind all the time.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

AmriloJim wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:She put flowers on more than one grave.

--FreeFlier
The 'Jane Doe' that Raventhorne mentioned was not Suzie's first... her conversation with the MIBs suggested this was a routine event.
Yup. Suzi seems to have chosen this as part of her mission in (un)life. She does what is necessary to keep other people from being transformed into the kind of creature that she is.

It's been implied that most other vampires are simply predators, and that other paras see and treat them as little more than sentient parasites. Suzi is definitely a predator, but she has chosen to be more than that.

By helping other "lonely and forgotten dead" to avoid their fate, she changes the meaning of her own fate. She seeks her own redemption by redeeming others.
GlytchMeister wrote:I don't think being forgotten once you are already dead causes vampire genesis... If that were the case, there'd be a whole horde of vampires. They'd outnumber living humans by an order of magnitude.

I think it takes someone to die and already be alone and forgotten... Or maybe there's a time limit? Or a certain level of structural integrity the body must retain in order to rise again? I mean, Suzie drained the one Jane Doe, and that did the trick, right? Or was it her efforts to ensure she was remembered?

*shrug*

A wizard did it. Something tells me the mechanics behind vampirism aren't what's important here... It's the emotions.

Susie... Jeeze... It must be tough having the weight of the knowledge of all those unknown dead people on her mind all the time.
I think it's the conditions at the time of death... that no one cared about you, that no one gave a damn whether you lived or died, that you were treated by the world as being a disposable piece of garbage both in life and in death. It's something like "the whole world considers you to be nothing but trash" that does it. And, apparently, having even a single stranger like Suzi come along, and care enough to treat you like an individual, and learn at least something about who you are and were, is enough to break the "spell" or whatever it is.

If draining Jane Doe was all it took, Suzi probably wouldn't have made such a point of talking to Jane as if she were still alive and a person... or pledging to use her blood to identify her and learn her name... or promise to buy her a headstone... or say that she would not be forgotten and discarded like garbage. In fact, just draining her blood and discarding her body to the morgue might simply have confirmed the "you, yourself, mean nothing" and made Jane more likely to rise as a vampire.

Lily and Suzi lost their families when they died. They were alone. Thanks to a miracle of Lanthian science, Lily now has at least some of her family back, and more.

Suzi is making a new family for herself, in a way.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

There was a scene where Jet's Guidance told Jet that Vampires are guardians or law enforcement, and werewolves are usually artsy types.

It was on a roof.

Uh.

Anyone wanna do the archive spelunk for that?
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

GlytchMeister wrote:There was a scene where Jet's Guidance told Jet that Vampires are guardians or law enforcement, and werewolves are usually artsy types.

It was on a roof.

Uh.

Anyone wanna do the archive spelunk for that?
Side By Side
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Damn, that was fast.
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

GlytchMeister wrote:Damn, that was fast.
You speak to the keeper of the Omnibus, mon frere.

All it takes for me (basically) is one line of dialogue and I can pretty much narrow down the date to a certain week.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:I don't think being forgotten once you are already dead causes vampire genesis... If that were the case, there'd be a whole horde of vampires. They'd outnumber living humans by an order of magnitude.

I think it's the conditions at the time of death... that no one cared about you, that no one gave a damn whether you lived or died, that you were treated by the world as being a disposable piece of garbage both in life and in death. It's something like "the whole world considers you to be nothing but trash" that does it. And, apparently, having even a single stranger like Suzi come along, and care enough to treat you like an individual, and learn at least something about who you are and were, is enough to break the "spell" or whatever it is.
Yeah - given Lily's description of her own death.

It sounds to me as if Suzi has something(s) in her backstory she's atoning for.

{BTW - have we ever been told how old Suzi is? And why is she so much stronger than a MUCH older vampire like Lily?}
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Strength is apparently due to time since being deceased. She's a "younger" vampire - estimates currently suggest she's only been vamped for about a few centuries, as opposed to Lily's millennia.