Work Within the Story Problem 2016-02-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Work Within the Story Problem 2016-02-01

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

GlytchMeister wrote:...hmmm...

Ooh! I know! Those super-fast springed stilt things! Uhh... Hold on, lemme google them...

These!

Pretty simple, mechanically speaking. I bet I could build some myself.
Back fifty-some years ago, the Red Army was experimenting with diesel-powered boots...

(No - really.)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

KnightDelight wrote:You folks are too deeply immersed in movie, TV, and comic book fluff to really know what skill will be most helpful in a real zombie apocalypse. Long distance running. No hand held weapon is going to last long against a zombie horde. The weapon might hold up, but you won't. Unlike is depicted on the sources I mentioned, you will tire quickly. Especially with a heavy weapon. Even with a light weapon, it will sap your strength all too fast. With a normal human opponent, a good slash will disable him/her pretty quickly but the zombies will be crazed animals with no fear or pain threshold. Worse than animals actually, due to that lack of pain thing and not caring what happens to them. And, of course, ammo also runs out and weapons fail when over used.

Your only realistic recourse will be to run. Run far and fast and keep on running. At least run from the larger masses of zombies. A few at a time, you can handle. Try to run at a right angle to the mob since they seem to go in one direction until distracted by some loud sound. This is where a grenade might do it's best work by throwing it as far as possible in a direction away from you. Hopefully they will all turn and run towards that. Then keep on going in that direction.

The best place run to will be a well stocked underground bunker. Especially a hidden one. Then just wait until they all rot away. The far North might also be good. It's unlikely they can keep going through below zero conditions. No body heat and all that. They also will not be stopping to put on coats and snuggy warm Uggs. Plus, in the far North, there is much less likelihood of diseases getting you. Especially ones from rotting corpses. So arctic survival skills would also be handy, in addition to running.

I'm thinking it might be a good place to go in any apocalypse, actually. Antarctica being the better since it is actually based on solid ground. Especially if you have a hidden bunker there. If not, shack up with whatever group you can who is already there. If not that make friends quickly with the indigenous people. Pulling a sled full of hunting tools might gain you some favor. Don't bring blubber. Blubber they will already have.
Actually, I was thinking an island, with a killzone at the bridge or other convenient point . . . any zombies that approach get killed and dropped into the water for the fish to eat.

John Ringo does a pretty good job in his zombie series.

--FreeFlier
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:

Ooh! I know! Those super-fast springed stilt things! Uhh... Hold on, lemme google them...

These!

Back fifty-some years ago, the Red Army was experimenting with diesel-powered boots...

(No - really.)
I remember that. I figured Pottsylvanian agents sold them an Acme catalog stamped Top Secret.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Typeminer wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:

These!

(No - really.)
I remember that. I figured Pottsylvanian agents sold them an Acme catalog stamped Top Secret.
The thing is, if the soldiers could learn to keep their balance, it could work.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.