Work Within the Story Problem 2016-02-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Warrl

Re: Work Within the Story Problem 2016-02-01

Post by Warrl »

This problem (and Nadette's answer) reminds me of a question recently presented on another forum:
So the guy is being interviewed for a job, and the big boss wants to see how good he is at problem solving. So he says, "One train is coming down the track at 60 miles-per-hour, and another train is coming down the same track in the opposite direction at 45 miles-per-hour, and they're only two miles apart. What would you do?"

OK. I'm curious.

Is there a correct response that solves the problem?
My reply is the most popular in the forum - and the second most popular is about an actual railroad collision test, essentially showing that I was right:
Without making any extra assumptions, my answer would have to be "move away from the track at my best speed until the noise stops, call 911 and report it, and look for survivors with due concern for my own continued safety".
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Sgt. Howard wrote: Leaders? Zombies- mindless, loathsome, walking contagion that never stops it's pursuit of living flesh. Used to be human. Has mental capacity of a cockroach. Leadership does not apply.
Ah, I see the problem. By "Leaders" I meant the zombies at the front of the pack. The ones physically in the lead. I suppose I should have said 'lead zombies" instead. Unless, of course you knew that and are just being facetious. Which is fine also.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Warrl wrote:This problem (and Nadette's answer) reminds me of a question recently presented on another forum:
So the guy is being interviewed for a job, and the big boss wants to see how good he is at problem solving. So he says, "One train is coming down the track at 60 miles-per-hour, and another train is coming down the same track in the opposite direction at 45 miles-per-hour, and they're only two miles apart. What would you do?"

OK. I'm curious.

Is there a correct response that solves the problem?
My reply is the most popular in the forum - and the second most popular is about an actual railroad collision test, essentially showing that I was right:
Without making any extra assumptions, my answer would have to be "move away from the track at my best speed until the noise stops, call 911 and report it, and look for survivors with due concern for my own continued safety".
At those speeds there is a chance that the two trains might be able to stop, or at least reduce speeds to the point where the collision would be only slightly catastrophic, if warned in time. (Steel wheels on steel rails, maybe a mile to stop from 60 mph or so unless it's super-heavy.)
So, the President of the railroad is on an inspection tour, and his private train stops on a siding to take on water at an isolated water tank way out in the middle of the prairie. Near the tank, there's a division signal-maintainers' shack, where two guys live for six months at a time, scooting up and down the single-track mainline on a track speeder to maintain and repair signals and track turnouts for passing sidings.

One of the maintainers wander over to watch. (Six months out in the middle of nowhere before TV or the internet ... you get your amusement where you can.)

So the President introduces himself, and then says "Say - if you were out here, and you saw the westbound Daily Flier coming from over that way at seventy, and the eastbound Capital City Limited coming from over that way at sixty-five on this single-track line here, what would you do?"

Without hesitation the maintainer says "I'd yell for Charlie to get out here quick."

"Really? What could Charlie do?"

"Nothin'.

"But he ain't never seen a train wreck."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:. . .you get pelted by that brass at about five feet, I assure you it HURTS!!!
Especially if it gets in your collar and goes down into your shirt.
The M1 carbine throws its brass high and back. Firing prone can be an interesting experience for the left-handed, as the hot brass tends to land right in the small of the back...
The most memorable occasion for me was a 35mm Oerlikon. Some people are less than entirely considerate when they site their AAA.
lake_wrangler wrote:
Dave wrote:I would tow it on a trailer attached to my chainsaw.
Good luck, once you run out of gas... :P
Connect it to a boiler that is fueled by burning zombie bodies.

Have you ever seen a flail-tank, for mine clearance?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Catawampus wrote:Connect it to a boiler that is fueled by burning zombie bodies.
Reduce, reuse, recycle? :P
Catawampus wrote:Have you ever seen a flail-tank, for mine clearance?
Once. At the beginning of a Junk Yard War episode, before they had to build their own version and test it at the end. The winner was the one who managed to clear the most "mines" (some form of explosive paint cannisters... the pains splotches would serve to count how many were discovered on the beach where they finished the challenge.)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Catawampus wrote:Connect it to a boiler that is fueled by burning zombie bodies.
Reduce, reuse, recycle? :P
Reanimate, redox, reuse, recycle.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Take a long bo staff and put gladius-type blades at either end. Distance, cutting, but not so heavy due to short blade design. Or just at one end, so you don't cut any friendlies behind you and you know where the sharp, dangerous part is at all times.

Can be cobbled together with a sturdy, straightish stick and half of a sharpened lawn mower blade.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

My preferred anti-zombie weapon is a radio . . . "Bird Dog, this is Bravo Two-Six . . . I have a target . . ."

--FreeFlier
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

FreeFlier wrote:My preferred anti-zombie weapon is a radio . . . "Bird Dog, this is Bravo Two-Six . . . I have a target . . ."

--FreeFlier
Sarge wrote: Bravo Base to Bravo Charlie...
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

GlytchMeister wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:My preferred anti-zombie weapon is a radio . . . "Bird Dog, this is Bravo Two-Six . . . I have a target . . ."

--FreeFlier
Sarge wrote: Bravo Base to Bravo Charlie...
Able Fox Five to Able Fox Leader ... I got a target but ya gotta be patient."
ablefox.jpg
ablefox.jpg (97.41 KiB) Viewed 8281 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

That sort of situation would either tighten certain sphincters or loosen them.
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

GlytchMeister wrote:That sort of situation would either tighten certain sphincters or loosen them.
Wouldn't surprise me if it (or something of the sort) happened in reality somewhere and Mauldin heard about it...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

GlytchMeister wrote:Take a long bo staff and put gladius-type blades at either end. Distance, cutting, but not so heavy due to short blade design. Or just at one end, so you don't cut any friendlies behind you and you know where the sharp, dangerous part is at all times.

Can be cobbled together with a sturdy, straightish stick and half of a sharpened lawn mower blade.
In the book World War Z (which had little to do with the movie), my favorite melee weapon was wielded by a blind monk who tended a public garden. He used a sharpened shovel and aimed just below where the moans came from to decapitate them.
Since reading that, I aways know where the nearest shovel is...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I'm pretty sure shovels are about as close to an actual battle axe one might find in an average Midwestern garage or shed.

I'm also pretty sure somebody makes those little folding trench/camp shovels, only sharper and pointier so they also serve ok in a fight.

There is, however, one possibly more effective seemingly-innocuous-tool: The Malaysian Battle Spatula.

But if it's decapitation you're after, might wanna investigate the kukri. I've heard it's rather handy at delimbing people... Necks aren't that different.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:I'm pretty sure shovels are about as close to an actual battle axe one might find in an average Midwestern garage or shed.

I'm also pretty sure somebody makes those little folding trench/camp shovels, only sharper and pointier so they also serve ok in a fight.

There is, however, one possibly more effective seemingly-innocuous-tool: The Malaysian Battle Spatula.

But if it's decapitation you're after, might wanna investigate the kukri. I've heard it's rather handy at delimbing people... Necks aren't that different.
Um, don't you go to Bristol Ren Faire? Just get a real one... and if you're warped like my family, you'll get one for the Stepdad with a Latin inscription. :twisted: ...et nunc qui habet duas.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

GlytchMeister wrote:I'm pretty sure shovels are about as close to an actual battle axe one might find in an average Midwestern garage or shed.

well good thing i dont live in the midwest then. mine is 440 cc surgical steel. nice two headed hand axe with matching bastard sword.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Not having a real battle axe within reach, I put one of these in the garage.

It's also handy as a shovel, of all things...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

DinkyInky wrote:Um, don't you go to Bristol Ren Faire? Just get a real one... and if you're warped like my family, you'll get one for the Stepdad with a Latin inscription. :twisted: ...et nunc qui habet duas.
And now he has two?
Jabberwonky wrote:Not having a real battle axe within reach, I put one of these in the garage.

It's also handy as a shovel, of all things...
WANT
oldmanmickey wrote:well good thing i dont live in the midwest then. mine is 440 cc surgical steel. nice two headed hand axe with matching bastard sword.
I said "average." We're not all that boring. I'm not that exciting, due to a lack of funding, but a buddy of mine has a truly awe-inspiring collection of traditionally-forged katanas and such. Another friend has a warhammer that he cast himself. It has spikes and it looks absolutely wicked. It's also extremely heavy, though. Good thing he's as strong as Ajax. I can barely lift the damn thing, and I'm no wimp.
I'm too much!
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

FirehawkShadowchild wrote:BLAM ... Headshot ...

Although letting Zombies come this close is dangerous all in itself. Especially with a horde in the immediate area and her making noise so close to herself ...
Not the best solution if you don't want to end up as Zombie-Food(TM) :)
Also, no ear protection.
Just like the survivors slowly going deaf in 'The Walking Dead'.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

On the note of weaponized shovels, there's always the monk's spade. Easily one of my favorite staff weapons to wield.

And, rumor has it that that utility shovel was inspired by Dirge's shovel in Xombie.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."