Work Within the Story Problem 2016-02-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Bathorys Daughter

Re: Work Within the Story Problem 2016-02-01

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Ooooo ... Blood n Guts <perk>

Wonder how one arm can be devoid of flesh yet the rest of her still in tact? Also not a good idea to be so close you get zombie innards on you. That stuff may be contagious.

I would think with your last grenade you would want to take out as many of the leaders as possible. They are the ones closest to you after all and it only takes one to turn you. The ones behind then have an obstacle to climb/trip over to boot. If there is not much distance between you and them, you have no choice but to toss it into the crowd so you don' t get hit with the shrapnel. But not too deep into the crowd. Still, with grenades most of the ejecta will go into the body and you have to hit the head to take them out. So I doubt they would be all that effective unless you can somehow get an air burst from them. Maybe put little parachutes on them?

I saw an article once that indicated weapons which automatically ejected spent cartridges can tend to jam when turned sideways such that the ejection outlet is pointed up. It was an article about a wannabe hood who thought it was cool to turn his handgun sideways like in the movies. That caused it to jam and the cops killed him with return fire. Perhaps Marine issued automatic weapons aren't quite so prone to such faults.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

oldmanmickey wrote:And while yall stand there trying to figure out the answer for the equation and discussing the finer merits of which weapons to kill a zombie with i am going to do a rapid tactical advance to the rear carrying my nice silent axe and sword. Anyone attempting to pass me will be tripped, don't get between the chubby guy and safety. No need for us all to be zombie chow.
"If you're too proud to run, step aside for a man who isn't."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Sgt. Howard wrote:.. and yes, I know- most of you will never even get the chance to lay a hand on a submachinegun in your lifetime- well, neither will you encounter zombies...
Speak for yourself, bunky... :)

However, you are hopefully right on the zombies.

I have to say I LOVE panel 2 in this strip. Nadette's outfit is just such a perfect steampunk zombie killer...down to the scar on the shoulder and the damn goggles (which she should be wearing - safety first!).

Zombies in the school curriculum? Who knew?
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
eee

Post by eee »

Huh. They didn't give story problems like this when *I* was in school. Dang it.

Has anyone worked the equation? I've tried but it's been too many years since I used higher math.

(I'd point out, movies to the contrary, firing a 12 gauge sawed off held at full extension like that would hurt you almost as much as the target unless you have super strength and steel bones. Besides, that's just one zombie, and she's surrounded. She needed to open up with her M-134 at head level.)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:I've always wondered if turning a climbing weapon sideways to do a sweep was feasible. Now I do. Thanks sarge!

Marine Waltz, you say? I prefer the Assassin's Tango.
I've always been partial to Diabolic Waltz or Devil's Trill Sonata...though of the one, I wish she could have incorporated the dub step bits in a bit better.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:1 grenade? Really? Are we talking the M-67? The Mills Bomb? A Model 24 steilhandgrenate? The Mk II?
In a well equipped zombie-hunting expedition, somebody ought to be packing at least one BLU-82 daisy cutter!
That doesn't work very well if you're in a building . . .

Has anyone read John RIngo's zombie series?

--FreeFlier
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:1 grenade? Really? Are we talking the M-67? The Mills Bomb? A Model 24 steilhandgrenate? The Mk II?
In a well equipped zombie-hunting expedition, somebody ought to be packing at least one BLU-82 daisy cutter!

YOU gonna tote a 15,000 pund bomb in yer back pocket??
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
cmdrpowers

Post by cmdrpowers »

I worked the problem last night, making the assumption that the grenade is thrown horizontally (though realistically, you would throw it at 45 degrees). Distance = 1/2at^2. So 2=5t^2 and thus t=square root of 2/5=.635 seconds. The grenade will hit the ground in less than two thirds of a second. Since d=vt, d=.635x15=9.6 meters (or roughly 30 feet or so. It rolls around for about 4 or so seconds and explodes.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
Dave wrote:In a well equipped zombie-hunting expedition, somebody ought to be packing at least one BLU-82 daisy cutter!
'Course not.

I would tow it on a trailer attached to my chainsaw.
cmdrpowers wrote:It rolls around for about 4 or so seconds and explodes.
Plenty of time for you to hope that none of the zombies was into jai alai while still alive.
Last edited by Dave on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Ooooo ... Blood n Guts <perk>

Wonder how one arm can be devoid of flesh yet the rest of her still in tact? Also not a good idea to be so close you get zombie innards on you. That stuff may be contagious.

I would think with your last grenade you would want to take out as many of the leaders as possible. They are the ones closest to you after all and it only takes one to turn you. The ones behind then have an obstacle to climb/trip over to boot. If there is not much distance between you and them, you have no choice but to toss it into the crowd so you don' t get hit with the shrapnel. But not too deep into the crowd. Still, with grenades most of the ejecta will go into the body and you have to hit the head to take them out. So I doubt they would be all that effective unless you can somehow get an air burst from them. Maybe put little parachutes on them?

I saw an article once that indicated weapons which automatically ejected spent cartridges can tend to jam when turned sideways such that the ejection outlet is pointed up. It was an article about a wannabe hood who thought it was cool to turn his handgun sideways like in the movies. That caused it to jam and the cops killed him with return fire. Perhaps Marine issued automatic weapons aren't quite so prone to such faults.
Leaders? Zombies- mindless, loathsome, walking contagion that never stops it's pursuit of living flesh. Used to be human. Has mental capacity of a cockroach. Leadership does not apply.
A weapon designed for full-automatic fire will by nature use a far more robust ejection system than a semi-automatic handgun. The bolt draw of the 1928 Thompson is about 1.5 inches longer than needed to assure that the empty hull is kicked clear- you get pelted by that brass at about five feet, I assure you it HURTS!!! I have seen photos where I could count seven spinning brass in the air from one gun.- and they travel before they hit the ground. Shooting port-side up is not an issue.

OH- Al... MOST of these people will never lay hands on a submachinegun. You and I (and a select few others) have triggertime on many of such things- currently, I am in a non- class III state, otherwise I would own one... or build one. But remember- full auto is a LOT of fun if SOMEBODY ELSE IS BUYING THE AMMO.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

eee wrote:Huh. They didn't give story problems like this when *I* was in school. Dang it.

Has anyone worked the equation? I've tried but it's been too many years since I used higher math.

(I'd point out, movies to the contrary, firing a 12 gauge sawed off held at full extension like that would hurt you almost as much as the target unless you have super strength and steel bones. Besides, that's just one zombie, and she's surrounded. She needed to open up with her M-134 at head level.)
Short barrel Howdahs loose enough velocity that recoil is marginalized- besides, at that range clay loads are adequate. Stuff a 'Dead Mule' in the pistol grip if you're worried.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I've seen shotguns used to make improvised grenade-launchers before. Granted that doing such a thing is not generally advisable for many different reasons, but it can be done. Perhaps Nadette is just building on the problem's scenario rather than bypassing it.
Lee M wrote:Obviously the question is oversimplified. Everyone knows that gravitational pull is actually 9.8 m/s^2, don't they?
Perhaps the zombie plague is a result of some alien invasion plot, and the mass of all the spaceships has added significantly to the planet's gravitational pull.

Or the need to work out math problems has greatly added to the gravity of the situation.
eee wrote:(I'd point out, movies to the contrary, firing a 12 gauge sawed off held at full extension like that would hurt you almost as much as the target unless you have super strength and steel bones.
Given who she is, there's no telling how or what her arm is composed of in any given scenario. For all we know, the shotgun could actually be a part of her (and if not, then I suppose that such an adaptable shape-changer could at least make her hands into all sorts of interesting axes and blades).
Sgt. Howard wrote:. . .you get pelted by that brass at about five feet, I assure you it HURTS!!!
Especially if it gets in your collar and goes down into your shirt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:
Dave wrote:In a well equipped zombie-hunting expedition, somebody ought to be packing at least one BLU-82 daisy cutter!
'Course not.

I would tow it on a trailer attached to my chainsaw.
cmdrpowers wrote:It rolls around for about 4 or so seconds and explodes.
Plenty of time for you to hope that none of the zombies was into jai alai while still alive.
Paul Bunyon's limbing saw... re: 'rolls around for 4 seconds or so'- THAT'S why you let the puppy 'cook' in your hand for two seconds.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Catawampus wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:. . .you get pelted by that brass at about five feet, I assure you it HURTS!!!
The M1 carbine throws its brass high and back. Firing prone can be an interesting experience for the left-handed, as the hot brass tends to land right in the small of the back...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:I would tow it on a trailer attached to my chainsaw.
Good luck, once you run out of gas... :P
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:I would tow it on a trailer attached to my chainsaw.
Good luck, once you run out of gas... :P
Hey- that was DAVE came up with that hair-brained idea, not me...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Hey- that was DAVE came up with that hair-brained idea, not me...
All you need to do is accessorize it properly, and there's no problem at all. The proper response to a zombie apocalypse should include supplies for incineration, as well as for mulching. :twisted:
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
The M1 carbine throws its brass high and back. Firing prone can be an interesting experience for the left-handed, as the hot brass tends to land right in the small of the back...
The C1896 "broomhandle" Mauser puts its brass 15-20 feet in any direction . . . randomly.

Including straight up to drop down the back of your shirt, or straight back to balance on top of your glasses against your eyebrow.

--FreeFlier
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Mythbusters did a special on fighting zombies. They showed through testing that a two headed axe with handle was the best weapon to use. Shotguns and automatic weapons ran out of ammo and with reloading time wound up sooner or later with you becoming zombie chow. They also act as a giant dinner bell calling all local zombies to eat. The problem with bombs is that unless you destroy the head you are just spreading half zombie landmines all over the area. A single hand grenade would be like bring a knife to a gun fight. Did i mention i spend wayyy to much time reading zombie stories?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

*quietly observing the conversation while leaning against a wall near a corner of the room, smiling from under my hood*

I love this forum.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!