Look At Me 2016-01-14 January

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Look At Me 2016-01-14 January

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:Well played, mom!
I agree. I especially like the fact that Kath didn't handle it with an accusation like "You were bad!" which would have been an argument based on authority - on Mom's Opinion. A child could disagree about the whole good/bad thing.

Instead, what she did was say "Here's what the truth is." That's not a matter of opinion... Castela knew perfectly well what Kath had and hadn't said. Lots harder to argue against, and Pickle didn't get very far trying.

The big win here, is that the fundamental lesson was "The truth is important. The truth matters. The truth isn't a matter of opinion. Telling un-truths in order to get what you want, is something that can backfire on you."

It's also good, because it doesn't carry the possible message of "You're being punished because I'm taking Atsali's side of the argument." Instead, it's "You weren't truthful, and now you have to clean up after your un-truth"... there's no favoritism implied.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Maybe they can make Castela watch the stupid science show now.
Dave wrote:Kath has nothing on Castela in the creepy-eye department.
I'd say that Castela's the one closer to having nothing in regards to eyes. . .
Fortunately, Pickle knows that she has to anther to her mother.
You don't think that Castela has the stamina for that?
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dr. Otter wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:The Stinkweed was doing pretty good' up to her penultimate word...
That's what passes for contrition in a 6 year-old.
One of my granddaughters turned ten yesterday. The other turns eight Monday.

I know.

(They don't know that Monday they're going to Build-a-Bear...)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:. . . (They don't know that Monday they're going to Build-a-Bear...)
Are you going to build one for yourself . . . and name her Nadette?

;)

--FreeFlier
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

FreeFlier wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:. . . (They don't know that Monday they're going to Build-a-Bear...)

;)

--FreeFlier
Bravo! {applause} :twisted: :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
illiad

Post by illiad »

FreeFlier wrote:

;)

--FreeFlier
well, there may be strange looks, when you start trying to put 'bear ears' on a 'human' face.... :shock:
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

illiad wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:

;)
well, there may be strange looks, when you start trying to put 'bear ears' on a 'human' face.... :shock:
Maybe from other customers . . . I'd expect the staff to shrug and mumble "I don't want to know . . ."

--FreeFlier
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

FreeFlier wrote:Maybe from other customers . . . I'd expect the staff to shrug and mumble "I don't want to know . . ."

--FreeFlier
Or they might surprise you by saying, "Oh, Wapsi... say no more."
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:
illiad wrote:well, there may be strange looks, when you start trying to put 'bear ears' on a 'human' face.... :shock:
Maybe from other customers . . . I'd expect the staff to shrug and mumble "I don't want to know . . ."
They're probably used to it. Lots of people buy a human-form plushie figure, and then insist on their right to bear arms.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Dave wrote:Lots of people buy a human-form plushie figure, and then insist on their right to bear arms.
The Game Commission didn't like it much when I tried to insist on my right to arm bears. :?
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AmriloJim wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:Maybe from other customers . . . I'd expect the staff to shrug and mumble "I don't want to know . . ."

--FreeFlier
Or they might surprise you by saying, "Oh, Wapsi... say no more."
"Yeah, did you know we are running a special 'Two-for-One' offer right now?"

You cant ferget Berdine...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I wonder - do ursamorphs work at Build-A-Bear?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Typeminer wrote:
Dave wrote:Lots of people buy a human-form plushie figure, and then insist on their right to bear arms.
The Game Commission didn't like it much when I tried to insist on my right to arm bears. :?
Doc doesn't have a problem with arming bears . . .

. . .

Mad scientist airsmith bears

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

FreeFlier wrote:
Typeminer wrote:
Doc doesn't have a problem with arming bears . . .

. . .

--FreeFlier
Ah, a Whiteboard fanatic.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Typeminer wrote:The Game Commission didn't like it much when I tried to insist on my right to arm bears. :?
FreeFlier wrote:Doc doesn't have a problem with arming bears . . .

. . .

jwhouk wrote:Ah, a Whiteboard fanatic.
I still remember the comment from the guy that pointed me there . . . "Mad scientist airsmith bears! . . . . . . I know all of those guys, and I've been most of them."

--FreeFlier
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Have we ever figured out how Kath's pupils/sclera work? Are her sclera and irises black, or does she just have pupils like the brown bear* who sees all?

*"Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see?" "ALL"
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Have we ever figured out how Kath's pupils/sclera work? Are her sclera and irises black, or does she just have pupils like the brown bear* who sees all?

*"Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see?" "ALL"
I haven't been able to figure that out to my satisfaction, and I've pondered the ocular mechanics and how one would achieve that blackness in an eye without them going blind for about as long as we've had her as a character.

The best I epcould ever work it out is she has really, really big pupils. Like, her pupils take up almost the entire forward-facing hemispheres of her eyes. The three lights are caused by reflections off of the different layers of the eye: cornea, lens, then the vitrious fluid.

The multiple reflections work the same way as mirrors do: mirrors have glass with metal behind them, right? If you look reeeeaaallly closely, you can sometimes see the difference between the reflection off if the glass and the reflection from the metal.
I think that sort of thing is more common with older mirrors.

Anyway, that's the best I could come up with.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Have we ever figured out how Kath's pupils/sclera work? Are her sclera and irises black, or does she just have pupils like the brown bear* who sees ALL
I haven't been able to figure that out to my satisfaction, and I've pondered the ocular mechanics and how one would achieve that blackness in an eye without them going blind for about as long as we've had her as a character.

The best I epcould ever work it out is she has really, really big pupils. Like, her pupils take up almost the entire forward-facing hemispheres of her eyes. The three lights are caused by reflections off of the different layers of the eye: cornea, lens, then the vitrious fluid.

The multiple reflections work the same way as mirrors do: mirrors have glass with metal behind them, right? If you look reeeeaaallly closely, you can sometimes see the difference between the reflection off if the glass and the reflection from the metal.
I think that sort of thing is more common with older mirrors.

Anyway, that's the best I could come up with.
Ja, that'd definitely make her go blind. That much direct UV exposure would wreck the optic nerve and the other inner workings due to none of them being covered with melanin.
Maybe she wears prescription strength polarized contacts? Maybe there's some latent Lanthian magitech kajiggery going on.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

GlytchMeister wrote:. . . . I think that sort of thing is more common with older mirrors. . . .
There are two kinds of glass mirrors: second-surface and first-surface.

Second surface mirrors are the older type, with a reflective surface coating applied to the far side of the glass, so that the light passes through the glass, is reflected, and passes back through the glass. Historically these were used for most non-scientific purposes because they were less expensive, required less care in coating and in preventing damage and were more stable over time, while the issues resulting from distortions within the glass were non-critical.

First-surface mirrors have the reflective surface on top of the glass, which means that the light does not pass through the glass at all. However, the coating must be applied evenly, and it is quite susceptible to damage and oxidation, so it historically had to be stripped and replaced frequently.

In recent years improved first-surface coatings reduced the oxidation/weathering problems and improved the damage resistance, allowing first-surface mirrors to be more widely used.

As far as Katherine's eyes, perhaps she simply has very dark irises, and possibly some condition that makes the whites of her eyes black. Or she simply doesn't show anything outside of the iris for some reason.

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Have we ever figured out how Kath's pupils/sclera work? Are her sclera and irises black, or does she just have pupils like the brown bear* who sees all?
I have a recollection that Monica once referred to Tina as having "spooky" dark sclera... but I can't recall whether that incident was canon or fan fiction :(

If canon... we can probably assume that a hyperpigmentation of the sclera is an odd side effect of her chimeral origin. There are medical conditions which can lead to a dark staining of the sclera but I don't think there has been any mention of anything of this sort in her backstory so far.