Look At Me 2016-01-14 January

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sgt. Howard

Re: Look At Me 2016-01-14 January

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Have we ever figured out how Kath's pupils/sclera work? Are her sclera and irises black, or does she just have pupils like the brown bear* who sees all?
I have a recollection that Monica once referred to Tina as having "spooky" dark sclera... but I can't recall whether that incident was canon or fan fiction :(

If canon... we can probably assume that a hyperpigmentation of the sclera is an odd side effect of her chimeral origin. There are medical conditions which can lead to a dark staining of the sclera but I don't think there has been any mention of anything of this sort in her backstory so far.
Tina or Katherine?- Katherine HAS a white sclera, it was displayed when she met Phix for the first time only because her eyes were wide enough to show it/them. Regarding Tina- her eyes are (apparently) silver swirls shown in a normal setting... although Kevin described them as "Christmas ornaments hanging in knotholes" at one time, which MIGHT hint at a dark sclera- but I don't recall them being drawn that way.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Tina or Katherine?- Katherine HAS a white sclera, it was displayed when she met Phix for the first time only because her eyes were wide enough to show it/them. Regarding Tina- her eyes are (apparently) silver swirls shown in a normal setting... although Kevin described them as "Christmas ornaments hanging in knotholes" at one time, which MIGHT hint at a dark sclera- but I don't recall them being drawn that way.
Thank you. I was going to mention that we had seen the white of Katherine's eyes at least once, but couldn't remember what the occasion was...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

FreeFlier wrote:
Typeminer wrote:
Dave wrote:Lots of people buy a human-form plushie figure, and then insist on their right to bear arms.
The Game Commission didn't like it much when I tried to insist on my right to arm bears. :?
Doc doesn't have a problem with arming bears . . .

. . .

Mad scientist airsmith bears
--FreeFlier
We all have The Right to Arm Bears
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Have we ever figured out how Kath's pupils/sclera work? Are her sclera and irises black, or does she just have pupils like the brown bear* who sees all?

*"Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see?" "ALL"
I haven't been able to figure that out to my satisfaction, and I've pondered the ocular mechanics and how one would achieve that blackness in an eye without them going blind for about as long as we've had her as a character.

The best I epcould ever work it out is she has really, really big pupils. Like, her pupils take up almost the entire forward-facing hemispheres of her eyes. The three lights are caused by reflections off of the different layers of the eye: cornea, lens, then the vitrious fluid.

The multiple reflections work the same way as mirrors do: mirrors have glass with metal behind them, right? If you look reeeeaaallly closely, you can sometimes see the difference between the reflection off if the glass and the reflection from the metal.
I think that sort of thing is more common with older mirrors.

Anyway, that's the best I could come up with.
When I was younger, they always put black as my eye colour, because they were such a deep dark brown the pupils were difficult to see. As I grew older they lightened up very slightly, but I've been told they sometimes turn that dark when I'm...upset. While I have never managed to catch them changing, it doesnt surprise me with the number of family members with colour changing hazel eyes, including my son.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
Dave wrote:I have a recollection that Monica once referred to Tina as having "spooky" dark sclera... but I can't recall whether that incident was canon or fan fiction :(
Tina or Katherine?
Ugh... Posted with inadequate caffeine in my bloodstream. Kath, of course.

I'm not even sure Tina really has eyes these days... when the demons are taking the night off she just seems to have empty eyesockets.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:
Dave wrote:I have a recollection that Monica once referred to Tina as having "spooky" dark sclera... but I can't recall whether that incident was canon or fan fiction :(
Tina or Katherine?
Ugh... Posted with inadequate caffeine in my bloodstream. Kath, of course.

I'm not even sure Tina really has eyes these days... when the demons are taking the night off she just seems to have empty eyesockets.
Correct. She "Shazowie's" them into place. I take that to mean she makes a glamour.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:Tina or Katherine?- Katherine HAS a white sclera, it was displayed when she met Phix for the first time only because her eyes were wide enough to show it/them. Regarding Tina- her eyes are (apparently) silver swirls shown in a normal setting... although Kevin described them as "Christmas ornaments hanging in knotholes" at one time, which MIGHT hint at a dark sclera- but I don't recall them being drawn that way.
Thank you. I was going to mention that we had seen the white of Katherine's eyes at least once, but couldn't remember what the occasion was...
It could still be hyper pigmentation of some variety. Just some type that doesn't completely change the sclera. Only Paul knows for sure.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
It could still be hyper pigmentation of some variety. Just some type that doesn't completely change the sclera. Only Paul knows for sure.
She's made out of six babies right? Suppose she has six irises and six pupils in each eye...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Sgt. Howard wrote: She's made out of six babies right? Suppose she has six irises and six pupils in each eye...
And here we have Occam's Razor. This was the explanation thrown around during the LDOTA story a few years ago. It works, as Kath is a true chimera.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
illiad

Post by illiad »

Isn't Kath's 'anima' a spider?? spider eyes are different from human eyes, that move 'as a whole' so you see the white of the body of the eye...

spider eyes do not move that way, so there is no 'white' to see... Not even an iris, so all you see is black, and what ever light source is reflected in them... AFAICS the 'white bits' are reflections...

wha they use to 'move' their vision, is a second lens inside like a telescope would do!
http://www.wired.com/2014/04/spider-vision-made-clear/
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I HAVE FOUND IT!

LOOKIE HERE!

Ok, the first panel. Kath is looking through a magnifying glass. Ok, nothing weird. Woah, she is oddly comforable with spiders.

Wait. What is she holding? In front of the magnifying glass? I don't see any... Thing... In her... Hands...

Waaaaiiiit just a skorm damned minute you. That's a MAGNIFYING GLASS... and I can see an EYEBALL in it... With a single, perfectly round iris and pupil! AHA! See, if it was six irises, the only way they would not show any white in between them is if they were squished together... The center would be a pentagon, and the rest would have corresponding angles! But Kath's eyes have a ROUND pupil and iris!

And, if you look closely, you can see juuuuust a tiny sliver of eye white at the edge of the magnifying glass. Perhaps that's a highlight and not her actual eye, but it does make a suggestion.

EUREKA!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:I HAVE FOUND IT!

EUREKA!
Nice catch! It's now all a sclera's can be!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:

EUREKA!
*hork*
*coughgakhack*

Ugh...
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

GlytchMeister wrote: . . . See, if it was six irises, the only way they would not show any white in between them is if they were squished together... The center would be a pentagon, and the rest would have corresponding angles! But Kath's eyes have a ROUND pupil and iris. . . .
Unless the irises could line up, superimposed . . . then only the top one would show.

. . .

. . .

Okay, that's silly, but I feel like hypothesizing to absurdity.

--FreeFlier
illiad

Post by illiad »

GlytchMeister wrote:

*"Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see?" "ALL"
I haven't been able to figure that out to my satisfaction, and I've pondered the ocular mechanics and how one would achieve that blackness in an eye without them going blind for about as long as we've had her as a character.

The best I epcould ever work it out is she has really, really big pupils. Like, her pupils take up almost the entire forward-facing hemispheres of her eyes. The three lights are caused by reflections off of the different layers of the eye: cornea, lens, then the vitrious fluid.

The multiple reflections work the same way as mirrors do: mirrors have glass with metal behind them, right? If you look reeeeaaallly closely, you can sometimes see the difference between the reflection off if the glass and the reflection from the metal.
I think that sort of thing is more common with older mirrors.

Anyway, that's the best I could come up with.
how about spider eyes... Image
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

A quick flash of inspiration...

♪♫ You can't hide your spider eyes,
A human face is a thin disguse,
I thought by now you'd realize,
You just can't hide your spider eyes...♫♪
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

For a moment I was confused about what comic that song was for.
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Dave wrote:

EUREKA!
*hork*
*coughgakhack*

Ugh...
That's pretty amazing, Glytchmeister! :D