Plunk 2012-09-07

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: Plunk 2012-09-07

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Dave11 wrote:
Fossegrim wrote:I think this has become my favourite Wapsi page :D. Hopefully Phix will get to Nudge before anything happens, or before Nudge pulls a bird from out of wherever she keeps her tricks.
A friend of mine calls that particular anatomical area "The Magical Bag".
Also known as The Back Pocket. In Toon: the Roelplaying Game You can pull pretty much anything out of it - if it follows The Rule of Funny.
Then there's Hammerspace and its sub-space, Victoria's Secret Compartment... (yes, those links do go to TVTropes. You Have Been Warned.)

Victoria's Secret Compartment (Yes, that is a full-sized rocket launcher):

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

PrettyPrincess wrote:Phix is a better being than she thinks she is... Just hope she's quick enough to prevent a Nudge pancake!
She doesn't need to be QUICK... she just needs to be ACCURATE... come folks, remember that Phix can POIT!!! all she has to do is what Monica did in the Thou Shall Not Punch episode... she poit's from the window to the area that nudge is in, grabs her in mid-air and either flies out carrying her, or poit's back somewhere like Monica did, see... simple really, as she can see where Nudge is actually located while she's getting ready to poit.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

Jabberwonky wrote:
chibichibi01 wrote:And this strip has started the longest weekend of my liiiife. Not only a cliff-flying end to the week, but my boyfriend has left for Texas for two weeks because of his job. -flailing- I can only hope that Monday brings better days, at least in strip.

-clink-
Is it flailing season in Texas already? ;)
Actually it's flailing season in Georgia. :P
ImageImage
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

scantrontb wrote:
PrettyPrincess wrote:Phix is a better being than she thinks she is... Just hope she's quick enough to prevent a Nudge pancake!
She doesn't need to be QUICK... she just needs to be ACCURATE... come folks, remember that Phix can POIT!!! all she has to do is what Monica did in the Thou Shall Not Punch episode... she poit's from the window to the area that nudge is in, grabs her in mid-air and either flies out carrying her, or poit's back somewhere like Monica did, see... simple really, as she can see where Nudge is actually located while she's getting ready to poit.
Good point. Heck she could probably just poit her back to the library without moving at all. So, yes, that would be the logical and expedient thing to do, but ... is it the dramatic thing to do? Nope. She will go into a power dive to save her and only afterwards will she slap her forehead and say "I could-a done a poit!" That's assuming she is the one to save Nudge.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

logical, yes... dramatic...no. i totally agree with you there, but the point had to be made. ;)

i think that she will be the one to rescue her... though, with Shelly possibly still sitting on the rocks outside the Library from the previous night (quite possibly that's WHY Nudge took the path she did thru the halls to get to that specific window), and seeing Nudge falling out of control "to her doom" ** Shelly's Guardian instincts will kick in and fly to the rescue as well... those two may even bump heads :shock: (like in a baseball comedy) because they are EACH so focused on the "get to Nudge before she hits the ground" thought, that they "tune out" their surroundings... and hilarity ensues when Nudge bounces (like a Bumble) with NO damage at all!and didn't even NEED "rescuing" in the first place :D

** unless Shelly was looking directly at that specific window when Nudge JUMPED out of the window, Shelly would only have become aware of it when the SOUND of the breaking glass hit her ears, then her reaction times for her to turn to see WHAT it was and recognize Nudge, would have allowed enough time for her to have fallen at least a few feet. THEN Phix shows up in the window frame... :shock: Shelly may make the assumption that Phix THREW HER out the window... and goes to "save" Nudge, getting more angry all the time and start yelling at Phix later, only to be stopped cold in her wrath by Phix blathering on about why Nudge JUMPED out instead... they BOTH get one of "those looks" and turn in unison to Nudge... and Hilarity ensues...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

chibichibi01 wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
chibichibi01 wrote:And this strip has started the longest weekend of my liiiife. Not only a cliff-flying end to the week, but my boyfriend has left for Texas for two weeks because of his job. -flailing- I can only hope that Monday brings better days, at least in strip.

-clink-
Actually it's flailing season in Georgia. :P
Not MY part of Georgia.

(BTW - since you're in Georgia; i recently encountered the assertion that "losing my religion" (as in the title of the REM song) is aGeorgia expression for "losing my temper". I wasn't familiar with it; am i simply ignorant?"
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

Fairportfan wrote: Not MY part of Georgia.

(BTW - since you're in Georgia; i recently encountered the assertion that "losing my religion" (as in the title of the REM song) is aGeorgia expression for "losing my temper". I wasn't familiar with it; am i simply ignorant?"
O.o

I've never heard it used that way. I suppose I could ask one of my older relatives if they've ever heard it used that way.
ImageImage
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Jabberwonky wrote:

-clink-
Chibichibi01 is in Georgia - their flailing season starts the first weekend after Saint Swithin's Day.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

chibichibi01 wrote:

O.o

I've never heard it used that way. I suppose I could ask one of my older relatives if they've ever heard it used that way.
You "lose your religion" if you start cussing - specifically, taking the Lord's name in vain (by swearing a false oath).
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:
chibichibi01 wrote:

O.o

You "lose your religion" if you start cussing - specifically, taking the Lord's name in vain (by swearing a false oath).
Okay.

In that context, if you're familiar with the REM song, is it applicable to the song, in your opinion?
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

What if the Library's dimension is one of those with infinite chasms?

If Nudge can't take a winged form, she'd be doomed to fall for eternity.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Yamara wrote:What if the Library's dimension is one of those with infinite chasms?

Bottomless Canyon, just outside Dogpatch.

"Things what draps into Bottomless Canyon never hits th' bottom - they jest goes on drappin' an' drappin' forever..."
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

NOTDilbert wrote:
chibichibi01 wrote:

O.o

My mother is from Loos-anna and I grew up with 'loosing your religion' as a term for getting so mad you were cussin'. And my favorite, when she'd see someone who looked like they were about to 'loose their religion' she'd remark that they 'look like they could go hunting bear with a switch.' :)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Fairportfan wrote:
Yamara wrote:What if the Library's dimension is one of those with infinite chasms?

Bottomless Canyon, just outside Dogpatch.

"Things what draps into Bottomless Canyon never hits th' bottom - they jest goes on drappin' an' drappin' forever..."
If it's a pocket universe, just wait for her to pass by on the way down and grab her...
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

I thought flailing season was another name for tax season? Or maybe it's elections season, I forget.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

scantrontb wrote:logical, yes... dramatic...no. i totally agree with you there, but the point had to be made. ;)

i think that she will be the one to rescue her... though, with Shelly possibly still sitting on the rocks outside the Library from the previous night (quite possibly that's WHY Nudge took the path she did thru the halls to get to that specific window), and seeing Nudge falling out of control "to her doom" ** Shelly's Guardian instincts will kick in and fly to the rescue as well... those two may even bump heads :shock: (like in a baseball comedy) because they are EACH so focused on the "get to Nudge before she hits the ground" thought, that they "tune out" their surroundings... and hilarity ensues when Nudge bounces (like a Bumble) with NO damage at all!and didn't even NEED "rescuing" in the first place :D

** unless Shelly was looking directly at that specific window when Nudge JUMPED out of the window, Shelly would only have become aware of it when the SOUND of the breaking glass hit her ears, then her reaction times for her to turn to see WHAT it was and recognize Nudge, would have allowed enough time for her to have fallen at least a few feet. THEN Phix shows up in the window frame... :shock: Shelly may make the assumption that Phix THREW HER out the window... and goes to "save" Nudge, getting more angry all the time and start yelling at Phix later, only to be stopped cold in her wrath by Phix blathering on about why Nudge JUMPED out instead... they BOTH get one of "those looks" and turn in unison to Nudge... and Hilarity ensues...
It's a different window, double window with clear glass, looks like a book shelf in the background. She ran down the half-pipe on Inspiration Point to jump through the stained glass.
And her look of surprise makes me think that it wasn't pre-planned...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:I thought flailing season was another name for tax season? Or maybe it's elections season, I forget.
Hah! Tax season, that works...I figured it was separating the wheat from the chaff by means of blunt objects...which still seems to fit tax season...

Edit: spelling (yeesh)
Last edited by Jabberwonky on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Fairportfan wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:
Okay.

In that context, if you're familiar with the REM song, is it applicable to the song, in your opinion?
To tell the truth, it's been soooo long since I heard that song I couldn't say....
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

NOTDilbert wrote:
chibichibi01 wrote:

O.o

Well I'll be damned. Maybe it's just from places far deeper South than I've ever been.
ImageImage
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

chibichibi01 wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:You "lose your religion" if you start cussing - specifically, taking the Lord's name in vain (by swearing a false oath).
Well I'll be damned. Maybe it's just from places far deeper South than I've ever been.
Ditto. My son-in-law is from Macon, and he remembers an uncle using the term, though mainly in a past tense.

Kate, from LA (Lower Alabama) sort-of-maybe-might have heard it down there.
=====================
=====================
mike weber