Plunk 2012-09-07

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fossegrim

Re: Plunk 2012-09-07

Post by Fossegrim »

I think this has become my favourite Wapsi page :D. Hopefully Phix will get to Nudge before anything happens, or before Nudge pulls a bird from out of wherever she keeps her tricks.
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Fossegrim wrote:I think this has become my favourite Wapsi page :D. Hopefully Phix will get to Nudge before anything happens, or before Nudge pulls a bird from out of wherever she keeps her tricks.
A friend of mine calls that particular anatomical area "The Magical Bag".
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Phix shouldn't worry; Nudge will never hit the ground. Broadcasters edited out all those Warner Bros. moments of impact years ago, let alone depictions of suicide.

Seriously, though, not even into a flying squirrel? A tiny insect that could fly or float? Demon form seems relatively sturdy, how about that?

Phix seems to believe that Nudge can be killed, though, and that leads to the important point: Can Phix stop compartmentalizing her violence toward others?
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
oskila

Post by oskila »

Dave wrote:...
EDIT: were any of the classic Tricksters ever known to take a bird form? A raven or crow or owl?...
Loki takes bird form on several occasions, but in those stories he often borrows a bird costume (sometimes simply a feathered cloak) from other deities and doesn't shapeshift magically as such (while on other occasions he's fully capable of shapeshifting on his own, very tricky). In the story about the mead of poetry, Odin himself displays some extremely cunning trickster behaviour and in the end flies away in eagle form.

Hermes does fly, but not usually (if ever?) in bird shape.
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

That 'snort' in panel two cracks me up. Like the bull that Bugs Bunny had to face in the bullfighting ring.
BallBearingMousetrap

Post by BallBearingMousetrap »

Well, that's a way to hold Phyx's attention that I didn't see coming. I think I was distracted by "It's a good thing the library is self-healing; it'd be a shame to lose that stained glass." And "Hey, have we ever seen the outside of the library before?"

Caution: Trickster is psychoactive, and may cause abrupt and lasting changes of mental state.
rainycity1

Post by rainycity1 »

That's it, Nudge, appeal to her basic Guardian instincts....
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dave wrote:Since Nudge is apparently Coyote, she clearly knows how to morph into a canine form. It's not that far a stretch to think that she can morph into a closely-related canine form... one which is celebrated for travel through the sky and is capable of warping Time itself. A few hundred miles in instants would be no trouble at all for one in that shape.

"I want to fly like a beagle, into the future.."

OK, I'm tired and being excessively silly. I don't think we know the answer to your question, except in the general sense that Nudge is known to be a demigod and presumably has access to tricks that mortals do not.
*thinks back to the 11 1/2 week old beagle behind a baby gate in her home* I really hope beagles don't fly! :)

I enjoyed this page. I think that was an excellent "wake-up" moment for Phix. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I love the moment that it hits Phix that Nudge can't fly. Nudge's strength isn't in shapeshifting. When Phix asked her if she was going to visit Earth Nudge said it wasn't her strong suit and she had to look it up in The Library. Also, when Monica poited them all to about 60,000 feet I think Paul mentioned that the fall wouldn't kill Nudge but it'd hurt. I think Nudge is like Wolverine with his healing factor... it'd hurt like hell but she'd heal rapidly. So Nuge is hoping that Phix is fixed and will save her, but if she's not, she is willing to suffer for trying to fix her, a true friend.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Wdot wrote:I love the moment that it hits Phix that Nudge can't fly. Nudge's strength isn't in shapeshifting. When Phix asked her if she was going to visit Earth Nudge said it wasn't her strong suit and she had to look it up in The Library. Also, when Monica poited them all to about 60,000 feet I think Paul mentioned that the fall wouldn't kill Nudge but it'd hurt. I think Nudge is like Wolverine with his healing factor... it'd hurt like hell but she'd heal rapidly. So Nuge is hoping that Phix is fixed and will save her, but if she's not, she is willing to suffer for trying to fix her, a true friend.
I think Nudge is more like a Looney Tunes character, all the pain, no lasting damage...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Wdot wrote:I love the moment that it hits Phix that Nudge can't fly. Nudge's strength isn't in shapeshifting. When Phix asked her if she was going to visit Earth Nudge said it wasn't her strong suit and she had to look it up in The Library. Also, when Monica poited them all to about 60,000 feet I think Paul mentioned that the fall wouldn't kill Nudge but it'd hurt. I think Nudge is like Wolverine with his healing factor... it'd hurt like hell but she'd heal rapidly. So Nuge is hoping that Phix is fixed and will save her, but if she's not, she is willing to suffer for trying to fix her, a true friend.
I think Nudge is more like a Looney Tunes character, all the pain, no lasting damage...
Soooo, Wolverine is a more "realistic" depiction of Yosemite Sam?! :shock:
Attachments
WolvySamcredited.png
WolvySamcredited.png (159.86 KiB) Viewed 12805 times
Last edited by Wdot on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Wdot wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Soooo, Wolverine is a more "realistic" depiction of Yosemite Sam?! :shock:
Well, except for a couple of eh's instead of y'alls....
PrettyPrincess

Post by PrettyPrincess »

Phix is a better being than she thinks she is... Just hope she's quick enough to prevent a Nudge pancake!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

PrettyPrincess wrote:Phix is a better being than she thinks she is... Just hope she's quick enough to prevent a Nudge pancake!
Wow, yeah, imagine how much trouble it would be just having to comb syrup out of her hair... ;)
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

Hopefully Nudge has one last ace to play in the way of a parachute tucked in her hairy hieney or that Phix is fast enough to catch her before she becomes a big Ole mess of Nudge Fudge when she hit the ground. :o

I love the look on Phix' face when it dawns on her what Nudge has done. Just to find out what happens next is the only reason why I look forward to Mondays. LOL!!
Last edited by Stigmartyr762 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

And Phix find her Words.
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

oooooh I love how Nudge played this!!! and I believe she didn't have a backup plan, I think she has full confidence that Phix would snap out of it, come through and learn a lesson along the way.

Way to go Nudge! now lets hope Phix doesn't need a spatula to pick you up!

I wonder if we will ever see a sort of excerpt or almanac of the timeloop, I would love to see how Nudge and the rest of the gang played each cycle to reach the final loop. Specially loop number 1 and the one before last, spectacular fails both I believe. And yes Paul I am being a nudge here ;)
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
as363

Post by as363 »

Gulp - Oh well only 2 days till the grand reveal - but a most interesting twist. Many thanks Paul for another example of your devilish plot twists.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:Come on Phix, it's time to fly down and save her.
Unfortunately, she's got enough of a head start it might be a tad difficult.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Jabberwonky wrote:
PrettyPrincess wrote:Phix is a better being than she thinks she is... Just hope she's quick enough to prevent a Nudge pancake!
Wow, yeah, imagine how much trouble it would be just having to comb syrup out of her hair... ;)
hsssss
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber