Never Left Their Sides 2012-09-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
The Old Wolf

Re: Never Left Their Sides 2012-09-06

Post by The Old Wolf »

Nudge may be a lady, but she's got cojones of solid rock.
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Boxilar wrote:Set the hook, let the fish run, then reel her in. Not a bad strategy with a trout or bass. A bit more risky with a giant cat bird type of fish.

I'll bet a gold Spanish dubloon for the pun jar that Shelly is waiting outside that window. ;)
Panel 1 - Phix floats to the ground and approaches a winded, limping Nudge.

2 - Nudge collapses, and looks over her shoulder to see Phix walking toward her, blood lust in her eyes.

3 - With a flutter and a thump, Shelly lands just in front of Nudge, shielding her.

4 - "Mom... Stop."
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Never left their side? Does this mean Tina was actually lurking around Wapsi Square area long before she showed up to open the shop? Or has some other character actually been Nudge all this time? It would explain a lot about Dietzel. Of course she would have to do a time share thing between demon and dog form. Doesn't seem likely to have been a human though since she had trouble assuming that form. Or is she somehow a part of Connie as well? Paul can be so darn cryptic. Grrrrrr. (Pay no attention to my growl. Coming from a 4-10, 85 pound girl, it's more comical than anything else).
NOW WE KNOW WHO ROY IS!!!!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

anyone else think Phix is going to get her ass wooped in the very near future?
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:Never left their side? Does this mean Tina was actually lurking around Wapsi Square area long before she showed up to open the shop? Or has some other character actually been Nudge all this time? It would explain a lot about Dietzel. Of course she would have to do a time share thing between demon and dog form. Doesn't seem likely to have been a human though since she had trouble assuming that form. Or is she somehow a part of Connie as well? Paul can be so darn cryptic. Grrrrrr. (Pay no attention to my growl. Coming from a 4-10, 85 pound girl, it's more comical than anything else).
NOW WE KNOW WHO ROY IS!!!!

Bah-Ha-Ha-Ha!
I bow to your callback skills sir.
:lol:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Oh, no, I'm not falling for that disclaimer! The most difficult opponent I had in my Tae Kwon Do class was a five foot nothing little slip of a girl who was a 2nd dan blackbelt. It's not the size of the x in the fight it's the size of the fight in the x. ;)
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
donoho

Post by donoho »

Atomic wrote:
Boxilar wrote:Set the hook, let the fish run, then reel her in. Not a bad strategy with a trout or bass. A bit more risky with a giant cat bird type of fish.

I'll bet a gold Spanish dubloon for the pun jar that Shelly is waiting outside that window. ;)
Panel 1 - Phix floats to the ground and approaches a winded, limping Nudge.

2 - Nudge collapses, and looks over her shoulder to see Phix walking toward her, blood lust in her eyes.

3 - With a flutter and a thump, Shelly lands just in front of Nudge, shielding her.

4 - "Mom... Stop."
ACK!!! Heart-String sufficiently tugged.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Okay, it has been established that Nudge is a demigod Trickster at the very least. I'm sure she could pull off keeping an eye on two people she felt were important. She has known Shelly at least 80,000 years and is apparently very good friends with her. Shelly knew that Nudge was going to give her a big puppydog lick when she appeared with Tepoz when she returned from the Forrest and she suffered it because they are such good friends.

Why did they lock Nudge in The Library in the first place? My guess is it isn't because they didn't want to kill her, but because they couldn't. She's a demigod like Hercules for crying out loud and he took out the Nemean lion. While Nudge's forte leans towards trickery and mischief she is no doubt capable in a rumble. Outside The Library where Phix is invulnerable Phix may be taking on more than she realizes.

I think Phix is not subject to other Sphinx in The Library. She isn't a temp worker anymore, but appointed as a Head Librarian by The Library itself. I don't think that can be taken away by another sphinx bucking for a promotion which is in my opinion why she killed the other sphinx with just one blow. Because normally another animal of the same kind can take blows from another animal of the same kind without suffering such catastrophic damage. A bear can smack another bear and not knock its head off, while the same blow could knock a persons head off. Which is also why she could knock Bia through The Library wall. Just my thoughts on the matter and of course I can and am probably wrong.

That Library stained glass window would look really cool colored... hint hint.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Grrrrrr. (Pay no attention to my growl. Coming from a 4-10, 85 pound girl, it's more comical than anything else).
Please grant me leave, to disbelieve. ;)

I offer the example of Harlan Ellison (author of numerous fine SF, fantasy, and speculative fiction stories). He is a small man, physically slight... and by all reports, no one who knows him would ever consider his growl "comical".

In Niven and Gerrold's raucous SF novel "The Flying Sorcerers", Ellison is referenced as Elcin, the "small but mighty god of thunder". Among the people in this novel, an enemy may be cursed by a fearsome threat: "May Elcin strike you in the kneecap!"
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Dave wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:Grrrrrr. (Pay no attention to my growl. Coming from a 4-10, 85 pound girl, it's more comical than anything else).

I offer the example of Harlan Ellison (author of numerous fine SF, fantasy, and speculative fiction stories). He is a small man, physically slight... and by all reports, no one who knows him would ever consider his growl "comical".

In Niven and Gerrold's raucous SF novel "The Flying Sorcerers", Ellison is referenced as Elcin, the "small but mighty god of thunder". Among the people in this novel, an enemy may be cursed by a fearsome threat: "May Elcin strike you in the kneecap!"
Well, they used to say of my Ma, who was 4'5" and quite a scrapper in her younger days, "Dynamite comes in small packages."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:4 - "Mom... Stop."
It would be "Grandma" or "Nanna" or an equivalent Comanche endearment rather than "Mom", but asde from that, yes. This does seem likely, and it could well work.

Might it even work better with Shelly in human form? Less likely to trigger a "sphinx vs. sphinx deathmatch" reflex in Phix (who is already a trifle wound up); it'd be dangerous for Shelly, but the shock of being faced with the situation of being about to slaughter her own estranged and vulnerable human granddaughter might snap Phix out of her rage.

davids4250 wrote:I'm gonna hate tomorrow's cliffhanger!
Yeah, it's going to be grim. We're all going to be spending the entire weekend with our stomachs churning, not certain at all if we're going to see a week of pinups, or learn in detail just how Becky bakes up those luscious pastries, or ???

I predict that at 12 midnight (Central Daylight Savings Time) Monday, plus or minus 30 minutes or so, there will be a small earthquake... triggered by a simultaneous AAAAUUGGHH!! and a psychic wave of frustration-pressure from Wapsi readers around the world.

I will be very happy to be proven wrong about this! ;)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

[quote=]
zachariah
Will the library actually let both librarians be outside it at the same time? I suspect it is quiet possible it won't. Phix tries to go out the window and is stopped, or the window disappears. Then Phix gets to stand there fuming while nudge makes tracks over the horizon.

Jabberwonky
It let Phix leave, from time to time, when she was the only librarian.

zachariah
Yes but with two it may not. With a single librarian it allowed for short breaks. With two it can have someone there all the time. Part of the librarians job is to protect the place after all. So there is a good chance it will not let her leave.

Jabberwonky
Then...then why did it let Phix blast Bia out the wall and Nudge bust up the stained glass window?

:?[/quote]
Because Bia was a visitor to the library, not co-librarian. Both nudge and Phix get to decide if they want to eject someone. Phix just took a more direct means of egress for Bia. Normally they just can't find the door again. Also Bia went through the wall not a window. Now did Bia learn to fly during this event? Depends on if bouncing counts.

Nudge probably moved too fast for the library to act. Phix is far enough behind so the library will have time to react.

The other sphinxs in the library are not staff but the guard force. That nominally puts Phix and Nudge above them but don't tell the other sphinxs.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

@ wdot, Dave, and Kingklash --

Yes, martial arts knowledge really evens the playing field. When you're within elbow distance of your opponent, it's a whole new game!

And once you grab your opponent, remember -- you lose use of that arm! For example:

- Stereotypical movie throat grab: Grab/break the pinkies, kick groin, slap ears (burst eardrums), gouge eyes.
- Two handed bully lapel grab: Swing both arms in circle over arms, kick knee from side to collapse leg, swing back and strike nose/eyes/throat.
- Arm around neck from behind: Kick kneecaps/shin with heel, slap ears, gouge eyes. Turn into elbow and drop chin to breathe/break hold. Move shoulder under arm to grab/gouge groin.
- Arms around body from behind: Swing one leg between opponents, grab shoulder/arm on that leg side and step forward/squat to hip roll forward. Kick head. Or, swing leg beside/behind opponent, hip roll backward. Kick.

Etc, etc, etc. If you've they've got their hands on you, you are in striking distance!

@ Dave -- I stand corrected. Bia is Shelly's physical mother. Phix is Shelly's fraternal grandmother.

Also - Nudge is probably (mostly) immortal, so the Jafar rule is in effect: "You'd be surprised what you can live through!"
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

i predict nudge will pretend to break her hooves and or show that she really means it that she never left there side when she was talking about being friends with them, and this will make phix do a full revelation that nudge is right
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

shadowinthelight wrote:
If I remember correctly Tina had been Jin's friend in previous time loops so yes she's been around. But remember, according to the demons this is the first time they've been in charge and Nudge is the one who got Shelly lost which so she could have her near death experience which was right before Tina's death. It was then that she took up residence in Tina's body with the demons.
Right, but that's my point. All that happened when both Shelly and Monica were still kids. So the Tina conglomeration, with Nudge at the helm, has been around somewhere for a good part of their lives. We don't really know where she was prior to opening the cafe. She could have been hanging around Monica and Shelly without their knowledge. Maybe even making certain things happen in the background. Being in the demon realm means Nudge could have influenced many other people by slipping in and out as needed. She was a free agent after all.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Atomic wrote: Panel 1 - Phix floats to the ground and approaches a winded, limping Nudge.

4 - "Mom... Stop."
Ummm ... "Granny".
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Wdot wrote:

Oh, no, I'm not falling for that disclaimer! The most difficult opponent I had in my Tae Kwon Do class was a five foot nothing little slip of a girl who was a 2nd dan blackbelt. It's not the size of the x in the fight it's the size of the fight in the x. ;)
Heh

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

scantrontb wrote:
chibichibi01 wrote:
pinglederry wrote:I find it interesting how Nudge looks so indistinct in that last panel, coupled with the "I never left their sides!" line. Maybe this Nudge is just a projection? Or it could be a stylistic choice and I could be grasping at straws. I guess we'll see.
Now... that is an interesting theory. Could a projection have made Phix bite her own tail?
YES... Tsillah. Remember her carrying the backpack, and the notebook for Shelly to autograph?

this would be a classic case of a Trickster using misdirection... when the real Nudge made Phix bite her own tail, and during the ensuing "pain-blackout" (where the pain is so great that you can't see, hear, feel, or most importantly here, can't SMELL ANYTHING else) that i'm sure Phix had while wincing from the pain, Nudge was hidden by Tsillah's shadow manipulation, and Tsillah herself, or at least her 3D Projection in our dimension, is the one running thru the halls being followed by Phix, and the reason she looks so indistinct right now... well, she's outside in the sun and the shadow she's made of is going away... thus, when Phix, in her blind rage jumps out after her, two things will happen: one: she'll look around for her on the ground unsuccessfully because she isn't even there anymore, and two: she'll be OUTSIDE the Library...

THAT'S when it's gonna get interesting, in the Chinese sense of the word...
That... would be awesome.
ImageImage
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Dave wrote:

Well, in my case, any such saving grace fades quickly as my voice also approaches cartoon chipmunk range. All people think is "kawaii!" and giggle. Especially if try to make myself look all stern and menacing. Then it just becomes "Super Kawaii!!" Kind of takes the wind out of a girl's sails. And heaven help me if I sit and pout. "Mega Super Kawaii!!!" Trust me no one takes me seriously. But then most don't know about my fascination with women gladiators and amazon warrior women. That's a secret, so don't tell anyone. :oops:
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

Okay, now let's see if Phix is mad enough to follow Nudge outside where she doesn't have to power of the Library to back her up. Or if the library will even let Phix leave to continue chasing Nudge.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.