Like Molasses 2015-12-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Hansontoons

Like Molasses 2015-12-30

Post by Hansontoons »

And hopefully I got it right... and that's some serious egg-gnogg!

Link: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/like-molasses/
oldmanmickey

Re: Like Molasses 2015-12-30

Post by oldmanmickey »

legal age is 16? that should also mean other legal ages are simular, so they are both considered adults?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

From what I hear, legal drinking age in Germany is more along the lines of legal drinking height: If you're tall enough to see over the bar, you can buy a drink.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I'm pretty sure that Atsali is 16... but is Nadette? If not, would this be... Wait for it.....

Contributing to the delinquency of an Ursa Minor?

*drops an empty bourbon bottle in the pun vault*
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:I'm pretty sure that Atsali is 16... but is Nadette? If not, would this be... Wait for it.....

*drops an empty bourbon bottle in the pun vault*
I can't bear it... :(
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

DilyV wrote:I'm pretty sure that Atsali is 16... but is Nadette? If not, would this be... Wait for it.....

As bad puns go, that one is sirius . . .

/Contributes a burned-out warp module to the pun jar/

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

oldmanmickey wrote:legal age is 16? that should also mean other legal ages are simular, so they are both considered adults?
Sounds like a recognition that most paras mature more quickly than baseline humans.

Also like a response to the occasional comments along the lines of "Hey - are you showing two minors getting ready for sexytimes?"
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:legal age is 16? that should also mean other legal ages are simular, so they are both considered adults?
Sounds like a recognition that most paras mature more quickly than baseline humans.
Also recognition that paranormals can be quite powerful even if they aren't mature yet . . . Devyn and Alexis being able to kill everyone in a ten block area in less than a minute, for example.

--FreeFlier
Akasha

Post by Akasha »

Alkarii wrote:From what I hear, legal drinking age in Germany is more along the lines of legal drinking height: If you're tall enough to see over the bar, you can buy a drink.
actually .... to buy a drink in germany, you must be over 16 to buy beer, wine or champagne, and over 18 to purchase anything which is distilled, like whiskey, vodka, gin, etc. for beer, wine, champagne, you may consume it ( not buy it ) if an adult allows it.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Ah. Maybe it wasn't Germany, then. Of course, that could also have been something that was changed, or just some wild misconception, since the few people I've heard mention it were all Americans. I'd been wondering why anyone would think it was okay to let someone get booze based on height.

"You must be this tall to get sloshed. No platform shoes allowed."
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

This is a bit unrealistic. Almost all teenagers know a little bit about alcohol. From hearing friends, or others talking about it, or parents, or relatives. By the time I was 10 I knew what most of it was simply by my parents laying down the law about that I could not taste or touch what was in that cabinet above the fridge. Kathy is not a non-drinker. The beach has always has a bar there thanks to Tina. So how did these two end up clueless about what Bourbon is? It might be from being hung over but I kinda doubt they would be that hung over. If they were they would be praying to the porcelain goddess.
It is also apparent that Nadette's parents are not non-drinkers. If they were they would not have stocked alcohol based eggnog. I doubt Nadette went out and bought it herself.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

zachariah wrote:This is a bit unrealistic. Almost all teenagers know a little bit about alcohol. From hearing friends, or others talking about it, or parents, or relatives. By the time I was 10 I knew what most of it was simply by my parents laying down the law about that I could not taste or touch what was in that cabinet above the fridge. Kathy is not a non-drinker. The beach has always has a bar there thanks to Tina. So how did these two end up clueless about what Bourbon is? It might be from being hung over but I kinda doubt they would be that hung over. If they were they would be praying to the porcelain goddess.
It is also apparent that Nadette's parents are not non-drinkers. If they were they would not have stocked alcohol based eggnog. I doubt Nadette went out and bought it herself.
I think it's not a case of "clueless about alcohol"... It might be more of a case of "basic knowledge of alcohol and nothing more."

I am a complete teetotaler. As such, I didn't have a real inclination to learn about booze and its types and variations and whatnot. All I knew until recently (read: until Dinky) was the following:

Alcohol tastes really bad
Alcohol is bad for me
Alcohol makes people stupid and bad-behaved
Bourbon, Scotch, Beer, wine, champaign, whiskey, and vodka have alcohol in it (and I only knew about bouton and scotch because of the George Thorogood song)
A screwdriver is vodka and orange juice.

That is seriously all I knew. The girls might not know much about alcohol because they never had a reason to learn... They just weren't interested.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

Zack....

For all we know there might be an actual Porcelain Goddess somewhere.
(Probably related to Golems somehow.)
FirehawkShadowchild

Post by FirehawkShadowchild »

Alkarii wrote:Ah. Maybe it wasn't Germany, then. Of course, that could also have been something that was changed, or just some wild misconception, since the few people I've heard mention it were all Americans. I'd been wondering why anyone would think it was okay to let someone get booze based on height.

"You must be this tall to get sloshed. No platform shoes allowed."
Well, in Germany (as well as almost anywhere) laws are only as good as the enforcement of them.

If someone under 16 (who looks older) goes into a shop, they are not always asked for their identification (even if that should happen) and can buy alcohol or tabak (for themselves and their younger looking buddies).

The enforcement is a bit stricter now (not sure how long), because some kids died after drinking alkopops (mixed drinks with strong alcohol in them) even if they shouldn't have gotten them.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

GlytchMeister wrote:
zachariah wrote:This is a bit unrealistic. Almost all teenagers know a little bit about alcohol. From hearing friends, or others talking about it, or parents, or relatives. By the time I was 10 I knew what most of it was simply by my parents laying down the law about that I could not taste or touch what was in that cabinet above the fridge. Kathy is not a non-drinker. The beach has always has a bar there thanks to Tina. So how did these two end up clueless about what Bourbon is? It might be from being hung over but I kinda doubt they would be that hung over. If they were they would be praying to the porcelain goddess.
I think it's not a case of "clueless about alcohol"... It might be more of a case of "basic knowledge of alcohol and nothing more."

I am a complete teetotaler. As such, I didn't have a real inclination to learn about booze and its types and variations and whatnot. All I knew until recently (read: until Dinky) was the following:

Alcohol is bad for me
Bourbon, Scotch, Beer, wine, champaign, whiskey, and vodka have alcohol in it (and I only knew about bouton and scotch because of the George Thorogood song)

That is seriously all I knew. The girls might not know much about alcohol because they never had a reason to learn... They just weren't interested.
It is possible if you are in an environment where it is not available and used. But reread some of the beach scenes. Connie is stumbling around with a bottle and gets drunk enough to do a number on Bia. Euradale(?) Gets real tipsy and gives big hugs to everyone. The girls were there then, as was Pickle. I would have been very surprised if they had not asked Tina about what was being drunk by the ladies. Tina would tell them. Nor could I see Kathy ignoring that part of Sali's education. After all she had the TALK with here shortly after Sali's body awoke on her. Why would she ingore the issue of drinking, it is a whole lot easier to talk about.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

jayessell wrote:Zack....

For all we know there might be an actual Porcelain Goddess somewhere.
(Probably related to Golems somehow.)
There is. And we all have been grateful to her at one time or another if our lives for varied reasons. The other option of course is to clean it up afterwards from the floor, rug, etc. But I doubt she is a very powerful goddess. After all consider the offerings she gets! Unless she is related to the slime monster Godzilla defeated many years ago that is. Good odds her center of power is under NY guarded by gators.
Bud_Fanboi

Post by Bud_Fanboi »

Well to play devil's advocate when growing up, in my teens I went to a few (Only a few... dozen...) drinking party's, everyone knew the staples. Beer, Vodka, Jack Daniels, Baccardi 151. Anything brown back then was Jack Daniels, we didn't know the proper breakdown into Scotch, Whiskey, Bourbon etc. Now look at these two. You've got a young girl who shied away from people who grew up in an orphanage. Then you've got Nadette who has shown she's crazy about Atsali but can't recall if she's ever really gone into her background growing up before they moved and met Atsali and the crew. Doesn't really push toward a wild and crazy teenage crowd dynamic between those two.

So to suddenly go from "Hey give me the brown stuff, yeah the Jack Daniels" all the way to "I'll take a Cedar Ridge Iowa Bourbon" would be like referring to apples and oranges to some.
eee

Post by eee »

zachariah wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:

Alcohol is bad for me

It is possible if you are in an environment where it is not available and used. But reread some of the beach scenes. Connie is stumbling around with a bottle and gets drunk enough to do a number on Bia. Euradale(?) Gets real tipsy and gives big hugs to everyone. The girls were there then, as was Pickle. I would have been very surprised if they had not asked Tina about what was being drunk by the ladies. Tina would tell them. Nor could I see Kathy ignoring that part of Sali's education. After all she had the TALK with here shortly after Sali's body awoke on her. Why would she ingore the issue of drinking, it is a whole lot easier to talk about.
All of this is quite true, and I'm sure the girls know about alcohol in general. The thing is, neither of them seem to know what bourbon is. That's the sticky point. Given Atsali's love of reading, I'm a bit unsure how she could have avoided having SOME idea about it. That it's what gives the kick to mint juleps, and what all those hard boiled detectives pickle themselves with. Perhaps the hangover is interfering with her abilities at recall ("I know I know this, but it hurts too much right now to try to remember") and that's why she had to use the Internet. Whatever the reason for this ignorance, it seems to be at an end, now.

We've also learned from this that alcohol is not fatal to ursamorphs, or siren/incubus hybrids. At least until their parents find out. :lol:
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

eee wrote:
zachariah wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote: I think it's not a case of "clueless about alcohol"... It might be more of a case of "basic knowledge of alcohol and nothing more."

Alcohol is bad for me

All of this is quite true, and I'm sure the girls know about alcohol in general. The thing is, neither of them seem to know what bourbon is. That's the sticky point. Given Atsali's love of reading, I'm a bit unsure how she could have avoided having SOME idea about it. That it's what gives the kick to mint juleps, and what all those hard boiled detectives pickle themselves with. Perhaps the hangover is interfering with her abilities at recall ("I know I know this, but it hurts too much right now to try to remember") and that's why she had to use the Internet. Whatever the reason for this ignorance, it seems to be at an end, now.

We've also learned from this that alcohol is not fatal to ursamorphs, or siren/incubus hybrids. At least until their parents find out. :lol:
Back when I was slinging drinks, during triple crown season, we used the offcial mint julep recipe from Churchill Downs...the Early Times version, which was a Kentucky whiskey, not bourbon.

Having made both, I prefer the freshness of the whiskey to the bourbon, which actually has a more potent kick, due to new casks process versus aged ones. Bourbon is really smooth, and clashes with the sharpness of the spearmint muddle. The whiskey blends with the spearmint, sort of mellowing both out into a refreshing minty smoothness, if that makes sense.

Very important. Muddle not mush. Gently bruise the sprigs. Stir until glass is frosty, not freaking shake. If I see one more wannabe mushing the mint and shaking it, then complaining that they can't understand why it tastes like petrol fumes...grrrrrrr! Sorry, it just irritates me.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Bud_Fanboi wrote:
Well to play devil's advocate when growing up, in my teens I went to a few (Only a few... dozen...) drinking party's, everyone knew the staples. Beer, Vodka, Jack Daniels, Baccardi 151. Anything brown back then was Jack Daniels, we didn't know the proper breakdown into Scotch, Whiskey, Bourbon etc. Now look at these two. You've got a young girl who shied away from people who grew up in an orphanage. Then you've got Nadette who has shown she's crazy about Atsali but can't recall if she's ever really gone into her background growing up before they moved and met Atsali and the crew. Doesn't really push toward a wild and crazy teenage crowd dynamic between those two.

So to suddenly go from "Hey give me the brown stuff, yeah the Jack Daniels" all the way to "I'll take a Cedar Ridge Iowa Bourbon" would be like referring to apples and oranges to some.
one might also consider they just dont know the word bourbon or thought that eggnog had booze in it, sorta like me and long island ice tea. first time i ran into those all i knew was damn this tea tasted better than what mama made. leave it to them dang yankees to put booze in it.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long