Pond Scum 2012-09-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Jabberwonky

Re: Pond Scum 2012-09-04

Post by Jabberwonky »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Dave wrote:I wonder... Edit ... and the sight of Shelly might be one of the few things which might snap Phix out of her raging desire to grind Nudge down into Library paste.
You know, I love Nudge, and would miss her dearly if she were to...depart...the strip. But hey, a library has to have paste, don't it?
Wouldn't Nudge-paste be tricky to apply? Given how swift she is on her feet, I'd say it would be kinda runny. Also, seeing how fanatical Phix is right now, I would think anything it is applied to would often tend to come unglued. Still, with enough patience some broken things just might be mended when applied judiciously.
FTW LOL :lol:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Dave wrote:I'm ashamed... I completely missed the "meep! meep!" from Nudge. :(
It may be pronounced "meep meep" but since this comic delivers dialogue in written form it would actually "beep beep". :ugeek:
We have a couple of high-steppin' examples.
I think 'meep meep' is acceptable...anomontopia is in the ear of the beholder.
(and you know how hard those things are to kill...)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

From panel three I think we know why Nudge is doing this. Not just to teach a lesson to Phix but to attack the whole elite structure of the monster hierarchy and how they isolate themselves from people with their attitudes. That is the deeper reason. If these beings are so powerful and for a long time they will get a very olympian attitude towards everyone else. Why shouldn't they? People are no more then nusiances or problems to them. We're only here for a eye-blink, by theri standards, and we're gone. Nothing but ants. Phix was leaning away from that attitude which is how she ended up in the library. This latest action is Phix moving right back into the old elitist attitude. Nudge doesn't want that. She wants to spread the good word aboput humans are people too and should not be treated as ants. With Phix and Nudge running the library they become a moderating force in the hierarchy and Nudge wants it to be a force in her ideal, not the old one.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Nudge on the floor covered in Steak Sause says, 'Wow. Kinky! What's next darling?' Then slides a hand around to scratch Phix at the base of her tail.

Try it on a female cat and see what she does... lol.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

zachariah wrote:Nudge on the floor covered in Steak Sause says, 'Wow. Kinky! What's next darling?' Then slides a hand around to scratch Phix at the base of her tail.

Try it on a female cat and see what she does... lol.
Do we have to be covered in steak sauce when we try it?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I'm not wearing steak sauce for any damn cat.

Nudge's words sound a whole lot braver than her face looks right now- I would think the hope is she kills quickly. In THAT level of rage, she won't toy with her prey.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Bathorys Daughter wrote: I think Phix is going to catch up with her (probably Thursday or Friday). Nudge will be pinned down, with Phix about to deliver the coup de grâce. I see probably one of four things happening;
1) Nudge will say something she has been saving which will take the wind out of Phix's sails.
2) Shelly will arrive and stop her.
3) Inflamed though she is, Phix can't bring herself to blast Nudge's head away and only lands a punch nearby.
4) Phix will hesitate for a moment while looking for her bottle of spicy hot Hines Aposauce, giving Nudge the chance to slip away.
5) Phix will catch Nudge, reach out one taloned hand, tap her on the nose and say," Tag, you're it!"
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Run Lola run
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Boxilar wrote:Damn, Nudge is going for broke here, using Phix's anger to help pound the lesson home.
It took looking over the first two panels twice to realize Phix was knocking her tail loose from the wall and wasn't areosoling Nudge.
How did Nudge get enough slack to stick the bight of it into Phix's mouth for the bite if the Thagomizer™ was lodged in the wall?
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

scantrontb wrote:i wonder if Phix is slowing down, or if Nudge is outrunning her? in panel 3 she looks further away from Nudge than she did in the first two panels. maybe her rage is burning out and she will snap out of it soon?
She had to get her tail loose from the wall. Slowed her down.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Casey wrote:I don't actually think that Nudge is in that much danger. I believe that, as librarian, she has the same protections in the library as Phix, namely that she cannot be harmed within the library.
At this point, i am sure that Nudge is acutely aware of the differences between "harm", "hurt", and "pain".
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Dave wrote:I wonder... Edit ... and the sight of Shelly might be one of the few things which might snap Phix out of her raging desire to grind Nudge down into Library paste.
You know, I love Nudge, and would miss her dearly if she were to...depart...the strip. But hey, a library has to have paste, don't it?
<Pun jar rattles like timber rattler about to strike>
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Fairportfan wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
<Pun jar rattles like timber rattler about to strike>
*deposits funds owed for overdue library book into the pun jar instead*

:roll:
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Man, Phix is not only feral but stripped down to a bare animal level. All traces of civilization gone from her person this time.

I think Phix is going to catch up with her (probably Thursday or Friday). Nudge will be pinned down, with Phix about to deliver the coup de grâce. I see probably one of four things happening;
1) Nudge will say something she has been saving which will take the wind out of Phix's sails.
Heh. There's a (rightfully) little-known film called The Cockeyed Cowboys of Calico County*. which features Dan Blocker as a blacksmith, and Mickey Rooney as Indian Tom, the town drunk, his buddy.

Anyway, Indian Tom is teasing his Charley, the town blacksmith, one of those big guys who never gets mad because he's a genuinely nice guy and nobody messes with him, about a particularly humiliating incident that took place in front of the entire town.

Charley says nothing and just keeps walking, until Tom says one thing too many ... and then picks Tom up by his shirtfront and draws back a fist.

First we see a shot up that long arm, past that angry face, way way back to where that cannonball-size fist is cocked and ready.

Then we get the reverse angle, from Charley's point of view, down the arm, into Tom's face above the bunched-up shirtfront, and all Tom can say is "Ooooh, Charley, that's gonna hurt..."

At which point Charley snaps out of it...

==============================

*Which i still love dearly, anyway. Consider this cast: Dan Blocker, Nanette Fabray, Jim Backus, Wally Cox, Jack Elam, Henry Jones, Stubby Kaye, Mickey Rooney, Noah Beery Jr., Marge Champion, Mrs. Bester, Don 'Red' Barry, Hamilton Camp, Tom Basham, Iron Eyes Cody and Susan St James.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Shademaker

Post by Shademaker »

i donno. tricksters make it a habit to totally P.O. ppl who take themselves too seriously. if they couldnt outrun, outfight OR out-think their patients/victims, tricksters would be extinct.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Casey wrote:I don't actually think that Nudge is in that much danger. I believe that, as librarian, she has the same protections in the library as Phix, namely that she cannot be harmed within the library. Of course, if Phix were to land a blow, she would realize that, which would alter the delicate emotional balance necessary for this "therapy session."
Spot on!

There's another thing.
Bear with me: Nudge could be hurt befóre the odd couple was instated as the dual-chiefs of staff of the Library (re: flying iron)Nów, bóth Nudge and Phix cannt be hurt by each other.........

Hmmm?

Hmmmmm?

Hmmmm?

Ohhkay.. I'll spell it out: there's nó rule that prevents either Nudge or Phix to hurt themselves... And Nudge cannót "beat some sense" in Phix. So, Nudge, smart trickster as she is, let Phix beat herself up...

The next thing we'll see is Nudge taking a corner só sharp that Phix cannot stop her momentum (she's running full throttle now) and is gonna slam into a wall hárd enough to get her all groggy, leaving time for Nudge to whisper óne last , devastating bit of "help", and then trot of, head&horns held high, while Phix ends up sitting like this, all ruesome.
http://www.examiner.com/article/fat-cat ... mise-video
Last edited by Jay-Em on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Yamara wrote:Well, "Acme" is a Greek corporation; I'm sure Nudge has stocked up on wacky defensive objects over Labor Day.

They don't have Labor Day in Thebes? Wuh-oh.

Looks like Phix has a recipe for stifado...
Let's hope Acme inc. works for Nudge like it works for Bugs Bunny and not for the Coyote.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Did anyone else happen to notice,in the 1st frame,that Phix without her glasses looks a lot like Shelly?
I guess now I know they're related I just notice it more.
I don't think Phix can, or will hurt Nudge.....least I don't think so......maybe? :?
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

If Phix were any angrier she'd blow a head gasket. I just love Phix's eyes in the first panel, pure feral white-hot rage. I think even a dragon would be taken aback. It may be Nudge's intention to get her so mad, that her rage burns itself out. I'm not sure that's a sound strategy. Cats I've known can stay angry for quite a while. Bathorys Daughter is right about, "...Phix is not only feral but stripped down to a bare animal level. All traces of civilization gone from her person this time." Everybody has made such interesting comments so far, impossible to comment on them all and give them their just due. The fact Nudge keeps up with the verbal chastisement tells me she isn't as yet fearful of being caught or hurt, but she is aware she's playing with a "buzz saw."
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Shademaker wrote:i donno. tricksters make it a habit to totally P.O. ppl who take themselves too seriously. if they couldnt outrun, outfight OR out-think their patients/victims, tricksters would be extinct.
Exactly! It's just a matter of making Phix burn enough Emotional energy to trigger a psychic sugar crash. When that happens, the long tall librarian should come to a screeching halt, and rationality will be able to catch up.