Pond Scum 2012-09-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Jabberwonky

Re: Pond Scum 2012-09-04

Post by Jabberwonky »

Fairportfan wrote:* Ahem*

A definition

{claims Pun Jar immunity}
I respectfully protest this immunity on the grounds that per definition:
PAY OUT: To ease out a line, or let it run in a controlled manner.
The running does not appear to be in a controlled manner and nothing about your message was easy...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

zachariah wrote: Drop a hank of bone, and eye of newt, and a spare pigs knuckle in the pun jar. Hear's a strange bubbling sound from the jar and decide the better part of valor is required and I run away. Does anyone know what happened to the holy handgernade?
Oh, great...anyone have a Spellchecker(tm)?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Holy hand grenade? Do you want the Mk II or Mk III? Or the M-58? We also have semi-holy grenades, agnostic grenades and satanic grenades. I personally prefer the Congressional Mk. IV (hot gas) as a crowd control... but it's not Sphinx rated. A Mk III flashbang can stun most sphinx sized creatures without (too much) permanent damage, but the classic M-58 (healthy dose of C-4) can and will disable said creature ... as well as any living thing withing 25 meters... and leave a BIG hole as well.
the Old Sgt.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Holy hand grenade? Do you want the Mk II or Mk III? Or the M-58? We also have semi-holy grenades, agnostic grenades and satanic grenades. I personally prefer the Congressional Mk. IV (hot gas) as a crowd control... but it's not Sphinx rated. A Mk III flashbang can stun most sphinx sized creatures without (too much) permanent damage, but the classic M-58 (healthy dose of C-4) can and will disable said creature ... as well as any living thing withing 25 meters... and leave a BIG hole as well.
the Old Sgt.
"Jamie wants BIG boom." -- Jamie Hyneman
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Did anyone else happen to notice,in the 1st frame,that Phix without her glasses looks a lot like Shelly?
I guess now I know they're related I just notice it more.
to me, she looks more like MONICA than Shelly !!... the hair coloring, the facial shape... could she be a relative to BOTH of them?!

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/11022004/ panel two.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/12242004/ panel three.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/youhavemyattention/ Panel two definitely, and a bit in four.

before she got all spun up at Bia and clocked her thru that wall, it became more apparent that she was Shelly's relative, sure... but here... it looks like she's channeling Monica instead.

Sgt. Howard wrote:Holy hand grenade? Do you want the Mk II or Mk III? Or the M-58?
nope... the one from Antioch... just make sure to count to three...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Jabberwonkey-
I recomend the M-120. Big Boom.
Antioch grenades cannot be imported into this country since the Clinton grenade ban went into effect, holy or otherwise. What few are still in country have quadrupled in price, used or not... and nobody is selling.
We DO have a holy hand grenade of Pittsburgh that is popular among Catholic priests back east- and there is the well-behaved grenade of Seattle (moisture proof) that can level a house of cards... but we're dealing with sphinxes here, eh?
M-58. We have a buy five get one free deal going on this coming weekend, PLUS instructions on how to make a sticky bomb. Doug 'Crispy' Wilkins just brought in a fresh batch of his home-made napalm and "Shakes' Malloy is doing an inservice on making nitroglycerine in small batches Friday. I will be doing my usual 'demolition as a creative passtime' lecture with demonstrations on the use of the Climax detonation machine. Bring the kids. Bring somebody you can't stand. Or the neighbor's dog. Or your Mother-in-law. Junk cars welcome
see ya there!
the Old Sgt.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Jabberwonkey-
I recomend the M-120. Big Boom.
Antioch grenades cannot be imported into this country since the Clinton grenade ban went into effect, holy or otherwise. What few are still in country have quadrupled in price, used or not... and nobody is selling.
We DO have a holy hand grenade of Pittsburgh that is popular among Catholic priests back east- and there is the well-behaved grenade of Seattle (moisture proof) that can level a house of cards... but we're dealing with sphinxes here, eh?
M-58. We have a buy five get one free deal going on this coming weekend, PLUS instructions on how to make a sticky bomb. Doug 'Crispy' Wilkins just brought in a fresh batch of his home-made napalm and "Shakes' Malloy is doing an inservice on making nitroglycerine in small batches Friday. I will be doing my usual 'demolition as a creative passtime' lecture with demonstrations on the use of the Climax detonation machine. Bring the kids. Bring somebody you can't stand. Or the neighbor's dog. Or your Mother-in-law. Junk cars welcome
see ya there!
the Old Sgt.
You left out:

"SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!"

Please continue....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Jabberwonky wrote:
zachariah wrote: Drop a hank of bone, and eye of newt, and a spare pigs knuckle in the pun jar. Hear's a strange bubbling sound from the jar and decide the better part of valor is required and I run away. Does anyone know what happened to the holy handgernade?
Oh, great...anyone have a Spellchecker(tm)?
I had one back when I was a Union Witch, lemme see if I can still find it.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:anyone have a Spellchecker(tm)?
well, um, O and F have it built-in... :P :)
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:How did Nudge get enough slack to stick the bight of it into Phix's mouth for the bite if the Thagomizer™ was lodged in the wall?
* sigh *

I guess i'd better out myself if i want anyone to appreciate my brilliance.

"Bight"
Well, the answer to your question should be obvious - the situation could not possibly have worked out in any other fashion.

When Nudge shoved Phix's tail into Phix's mouth, the tail was immediately chewed and partially swallowed. Phix ate bits of her own tail... and as any computer nerd could tell you, ate bits makes a bight.

(drops two old-fashioned core memory planes with gold-plated contacts into the Pun Jar. Jar replies "Thanks for the memories")
"Beware, beware the Bight of Benin: one comes out, where fifty went in!"
So did Phix reverse it?

"Beware, beware the Bite of Phix-in: fifty come out where one went in?"
Truly a tail of woe.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Holy hand grenade? Do you want the Mk II or Mk III? Or the M-58? We also have semi-holy grenades, agnostic grenades and satanic grenades. I personally prefer the Congressional Mk. IV (hot gas) as a crowd control... but it's not Sphinx rated. A Mk III flashbang can stun most sphinx sized creatures without (too much) permanent damage, but the classic M-58 (healthy dose of C-4) can and will disable said creature ... as well as any living thing withing 25 meters... and leave a BIG hole as well.
the Old Sgt.
I thought they went from the Mark 2 straight to the Mark 4 and on to the Mark 5.
Dave

Post by Dave »

bmonk wrote:"Beware, beware the Bight of Benin: one comes out, where fifty went in!"
So did Phix reverse it?

Truly a tail of woe.
+1 for the pun, and +manycookies for the Brunner reference.

Which does bring up a point. There's been a lot of blood around the Library lately (Medeia's, possibly Phix's if she bit hard enough, and possibly Nudge's real soon now if Phix catches up). They're going to need something for cleanup, and they'll probably have to poit it in from elsewhere...

... and there's lots of sand on Zanzibar.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Dave wrote:
bmonk wrote:"Beware, beware the Bight of Benin: one comes out, where fifty went in!"
So did Phix reverse it?

Truly a tail of woe.

Which does bring up a point. There's been a lot of blood around the Library lately (Medeia's, possibly Phix's if she bit hard enough, and possibly Nudge's real soon now if Phix catches up). They're going to need something for cleanup, and they'll probably have to poit it in from elsewhere...
Merry Maids? After all, Odysseus had the women servants clean up the bloody mess he and his companion left when he got home. Just goes to show what an asswipe he actually was, making women clean up such a horrific scene, even if they were slaves. A crappy "hero" at best.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Dave wrote:
So did Phix reverse it?

Truly a tail of woe.

Merry Maids? After all, Odysseus had the women servants clean up the bloody mess he and his companion left when he got home. Just goes to show what an asswipe he actually was, making women clean up such a horrific scene, even if they were slaves. A crappy "hero" at best.
[drops a mouse tail into the pun jar for the convoluted puns]

Yes, well, remember that Odysseus was a trickster hero also--and one failing of the trickster is a lack of compassion for others. They are too busy being clever and getting things to come out more or less according to plan.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

bmonk wrote:Yes, well, remember that Odysseus was a trickster hero also--and one failing of the trickster is a lack of compassion for others. They are too busy being clever and getting things to come out more or less according to plan.
Yep - even when what they are doing is actually for a Good Purpose.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Fairportfan wrote:
bmonk wrote:Yes, well, remember that Odysseus was a trickster hero also--and one failing of the trickster is a lack of compassion for others. They are too busy being clever and getting things to come out more or less according to plan.
Well, you can justify the things he did all you want, but, as I read his story Odysseus was just as much of a heartless, pitiless, murderous monster as those he fought. Naturally I'm judging him from my perspective in the 21st century. Given the times it was written, it was all fine and proper I suppose. I just have nothing good to say about his character.

Problem is, even today similar stories are turned into movies and the so-called hero is praised just as much, so I wonder if we have actually progressed at all since then. Not that I have much room to talk considering some of the stuff I like. So I have to include myself in the "we." I'm probably being a hypocrite here, but I don't care. I'm also rambling. Most likely incoherently. :?
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
Well, you can justify the things he did all you want, but, as I read his story Odysseus was just as much of a heartless, pitiless, murderous monster as those he fought. Naturally I'm judging him from my perspective in the 21st century. Given the times it was written, it was all fine and proper I suppose. I just have nothing good to say about his character.
Oh, i wasn't giving Odysseus a pass - i was speaking of tricksters generically...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Fairportfan wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote: bmonk: "Yes, well, remember that Odysseus was a trickster hero also--and one failing of the trickster is a lack of compassion for others. They are too busy being clever and getting things to come out more or less according to plan."

Fairportfan: "Yep - even when what they are doing is actually for a Good Purpose."

Oh, i wasn't giving Odysseus a pass - i was speaking of tricksters generically...
Me too. In fact, I thought that was the point of what I said: that tricksters don't have compassion. They are cruel in their tricks, focusing not on the means and what havoc they wreak, but on the end--which may or may not be worthwhile. Odysseus did have some good goals--and don't forget Penelope's long-suffering and fidelity that made them worthwhile--but I certainly don't approve of the means he used to reach them.
Last edited by bmonk on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

bmonk wrote:
Fairportfan wrote: Oh, i wasn't giving Odysseus a pass - i was speaking of tricksters generically...
Me too. In fact, I thought that was the point of what I said: that tricksters don't have compassion. They are cruel in their tricks, focusing not on the means and what havoc they wreak, but on the end--which may or may not be worthwhile. Odysseus did have some good goals--and don't forget Penelope's long-suffering and fidelity that made them worthwhile--but I certainly don't approve of the means he used to reach them.
Okay. My original comment was pretty well agreeing with you.

Then Bathory's Daughter responded, more-or-less in reference to Odysseus specifically, so i then pointed out that i was referring to tricksters generically.

We're going 'round in a circle here...
=====================
=====================
mike weber