Over The Top 2015-12-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Julie

Re: Over The Top 2015-12-08

Post by Julie »

eee wrote:"Get you a talisman"? That's interesting. If there are talismans that can help Devyn, one would think she'd be wearing them all the time. Perhaps she does and Nether just keeps breaking through. Sort of like how Atsali's anti-wing boner talisman stops her wings from popping out, but can't stop her from transitioning to her full Siren form.
The talisman didn't stop full transformation? I thought it did...but then, my memory is kind of occupado these days with other things, so it isn't exactly reliable. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:The talisman didn't stop full transformation? I thought it did...but then, my memory is kind of occupado these days with other things, so it isn't exactly reliable. :P
The talisman suppressed partial, involuntary transformations. Atsali was able to override it when she had to, but apparently she could only managed/initiate a full transformation when she did so.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/got-her-covered/
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

So? There's this southern-speaking apotropaic sphinx who's the daughter of a Roman centurion and a English-speaking librarian whom I can bring into line by simply calling her "Aeternia."

:P
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

OH NOES, the dream, it ended too soon, she was so close to figuring out what her butt was trying to say to her head. . . .LOL
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:So? There's this southern-speaking apotropaic sphinx who's the daughter of a Roman centurion and a English-speaking librarian whom I can bring into line by simply calling her "Aeternia."

:P
Joe, not EVERY pilot was Von Richthofen, and you are known as 'the Fearless One'... let's see if Dave can get the same results... (I would pay money to see that)
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Sgt. Howard wrote: Joe, not EVERY pilot was Von Richthofen, and you are known as 'the Fearless One'... let's see if Dave can get the same results... (I would pay money to see that)
I'm in for some of that as well....Dixie vs. The Dork - Round 1.

{Pops popcorn and settles back in his leather recliner...}
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

jwhouk wrote:So? There's this southern-speaking apotropaic sphinx who's the daughter of a Roman centurion and a English-speaking librarian whom I can bring into line by simply calling her "Aeternia."
It's the "Dad's had enough" voice that does the trick.

. . .

When I was in high school, it was always amusing to see which of my peers recognized the "Dad's had enough" voice. There were some real surprises.

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

FreeFlier wrote:
It's the "Dad's had enough" voice that does the trick.

. . .

When I was in high school, it was always amusing to see which of my peers recognized the "Dad's had enough" voice. There were some real surprises.

--FreeFlier
Lots of people who hear me tell me how they figure my kids must not have given me much of a hard time, growing up... But I can vouch for the fact that they get used to it, after a while... :roll:
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:Lots of people who hear me tell me how they figure my kids must not have given me much of a hard time, growing up... But I can vouch for the fact that they get used to it, after a while... :roll:
How are you at doing a falsetto? If you can reach high enough (and from what you've told us about your normal speaking voice I realize it would be quite a stretch) you could do Cosby's Momma's Voice "Didn't I tell you not to..." which he says is capable of dissolving a person's spinal column and dropping them to their knees.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Lots of people who hear me tell me how they figure my kids must not have given me much of a hard time, growing up... But I can vouch for the fact that they get used to it, after a while... :roll:
How are you at doing a falsetto? If you can reach high enough (and from what you've told us about your normal speaking voice I realize it would be quite a stretch) you could do Cosby's Momma's Voice "Didn't I tell you not to..." which he says is capable of dissolving a person's spinal column and dropping them to their knees.
As low as my normal speaking voice is, I can still do falsetto... for kicks, I sometimes sing the soprano's part, when the choir is learning a song and they don't seem to catch on to their voice quite yet... :lol:
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

jayessell wrote:Atsali and cheer girl had positive experiences and off-panel girl realizes she has mother issues? . . .
There's nothing to indicate that was a girl . . . there were guys present immediately prior.
Luke Green wrote:I'm curious as to why Cricket is the one that knows about Devyn's problem instead of one of her older friends given that Cricket is a new student who doesn't know them very well.
That may be why . . . she can see things the others are too close to see . . . the forest instead of the trees, if you will.

-
FreeFlier wrote:It's the "Dad's had enough" voice that does the trick.

By high school, it wasn't a matter of getting used to the "Dad's had enough" voice, it was a matter of recognizing that there would be significant adverse consequences if <whatever> didn't stop now!

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Dave wrote:
As low as my normal speaking voice is, I can still do falsetto... for kicks, I sometimes sing the soprano's part, when the choir is learning a song and they don't seem to catch on to their voice quite yet... :lol:
Most counter-tenors, who sing soprano (and not falsetto) are natural basses.

I suspect it has to do with inducing moding on the vocal chords.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Luke Green wrote:I'm curious as to why Cricket is the one that knows about Devyn's problem instead of one of her older friends given that Cricket is a new student who doesn't know them very well.
Glytchmeister wrote:She's a princess. The daughter of royalty - she was probably educated on other members of para royalty... Seeing as Devyn is Poseidon's... Niece? Yeah... She probably came up. Especially that ten block incident.
FreeFlier wrote:That may be why . . . she can see things the others are too close to see . . . the forest instead of the trees, if you will.
How about she's a Fae princess and The Gentry are well known for taking people to 'other places' where things are never as they seem...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

eee wrote:Well, that was disappointing. For us, as well as Atsali. Perhaps she can go to Devyn later and ask to be allowed into Nether again. Which may well freak Devyn out, someone WANTING into her nightmare. But if Atsali becomes a frequent visitor, we may well learn more about that very strange place.

Another, willing visit to Nether would also ease Devyn's mortification, that she sent Atsali there.

"Get you a talisman"? That's interesting. If there are talismans that can help Devyn, one would think she'd be wearing them all the time. Perhaps she does and Nether just keeps breaking through. Sort of like how Atsali's anti-wing boner talisman stops her wings from popping out, but can't stop her from transitioning to her full Siren form.
Controlling one's power(s) is like flexing a muscle. If it's not exercised (always wearing a talisman), it becomes weak and eventually atrophied. What then if the talisman breals or stops working for some reason?
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Glytchmeister wrote:She's a princess. The daughter of royalty - she was probably educated on other members of para royalty... Seeing as Devyn is Poseidon's... Niece? Yeah... She probably came up. Especially that ten block incident.
FreeFlier wrote:That may be why . . . she can see things the others are too close to see . . . the forest instead of the trees, if you will.
Jabberwonky wrote:How about she's a Fae princess and The Gentry are well known for taking people to 'other places' where things are never as they seem...
Also a possibility.

--FreeFlier