It's Started 2015-11-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Gyrrakavian

Re: It's Started 2015-11-27

Post by Gyrrakavian »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Called it.
Indeed.
The description states the locations as “Gryphon High, Nether". I wonder if they'll have to deal with any ghasts, wither skeletons, blazes, or zombie pigmen.

Also, is the para middle school named Mock Turtle, or is that the college?
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Grues
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Septuagenarian

Post by Septuagenarian »

After experiencing Monica's darkness Cricket should find this a walk in the park.
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

Anyone else expecting Cricket to slap her and snap her out of it?

I mean I'm not one for suggesting violence, but maybe knocking her out would be the best choice right now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Akeche wrote:Anyone else expecting Cricket to slap her and snap her out of it?

I mean I'm not one for suggesting violence, but maybe knocking her out would be the best choice right now.
That might make things worse. If the Darkness has already been triggered/released/opened, knocking out Devyn might leave everybody stuck in it until she revived. And, since the episode was apparently triggered by Devyn's social anxieties, hassling or attacking her would tend to make her feel even more threatened.

Cricket seemed to think that persuasion and support ("talking her down") was a better way to go. If I recall correctly, that's the approach that those "in the know" used back in the 60s to help people who were freaking out during a bad acid trip: repeatedly and gently assure them that they're safe, that what they're feeling will pass, that their mind and sense are playing tricks on them, that they aren't in danger. Hassling people in such a fearful, out-of-control state with a harsh "Snap out of it!" challenge isn't likely to work (as the Zuckers riffed upon in the "Airplane" scene involving a hysterical passenger)

Devyn's power to cast Darkness like this, and the way it spreads from her, sorta reminds me of a squid and its ink... in a way it's a defensive reaction on her part. Squid... hmmm. Maybe that strange "house of darkness" place is in a suburb of R'lyeh?
eee

Post by eee »

Oops. If this was a 'cure or kill' moment as I wondered yesterday, it looks like it's going to be 'kill'. Devyn is blipping them all to Devynworld!

But this time Atsali and Calista are going along. I pity the teddy bear that tries anything on those two.
Dave wrote:Oh s*** oh dear.

This is not good at all...

... and Cricket is the one who knows what's up? Either she knows more about Devyn personally than I would have expected, or maybe the Darkness is something not unique to Devyn and is something that Calista has seen or heard of before?
This may be similar to what happens when Cricket gets over-stressed: She loses control of the magic in her and it explodes for random effect. Like shrinking Diezels.

Indeed, that may be why Calista and Devyn seemed to have a rather close friendship, to the point they could pick up on each other's musical cues, and Cricket realized what was happening before even Alexis did. Once they found out they both had similar conditions, they opened up to each other.
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Grues
Good reason to keep out of dark places. (nod, nod)
Akeche wrote:Anyone else expecting Cricket to slap her and snap her out of it?

If the process is automatic once Devyn passes a certain point, that probably won't do any good and might do harm. KOing Zimmy in Gunnerkrigg Court before she reaches the point of a 'blip' MIGHT stop it; but you don't want to do it afterwards because she's the only one who can get you back. We don't know enough about Devyn's world to know what the rules are.

Although with Atsali along this time, we may be going to find out.

(We also don't know how vulnerable to harm Devyn is. The daughter of one of the first generation of Greek gods may be a lot tougher than she looks, physically.)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

jayessell wrote:Gryphon?

I was wondering what the G was for on the cheerleader uniforms.
"Girl". At that particular school, you sometimes need such labels to be sure.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DilyV wrote:Oh noes... Cheerleaders much be an endangered species in the para world...
Unless they're battle cheerleaders...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Brasten

Post by Brasten »

I kinda wonder what would happen if Atsali started singing at Devyn.
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

Like this is really sort of terrifying and makes me wonder if something like this has happened before? Shouldn't Devyn have gotten help? While the two girls who were rude to her seemed to come out okay from it, now we're having a bunch of people who didn't really do anything wrong persay being subjected to it.

Where exactly does the MIB fall into place for something like this I wonder, it's a major possible danger for other kids at the school if she's truly this unstable.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Just like in the movies, Cheerleaders are always victims.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

They haven't split up . . .

. . .

yet.

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
Indeed.
The description states the locations as “Gryphon High, Nether". I wonder if they'll have to deal with any ghasts, wither skeletons, blazes, or zombie pigmen.

Gryphon is effectively a K-12 school in a single complex (or, maybe, building). There was apparently nothing odd about Castela showing up for lunch at the same place & time as Atsali.
DON'T turn on a light! Nobody has ever seen a grue and lived!
AnotherFairportfan

Warrl wrote:Indeed.DON'T turn on a light! Nobody has ever seen a grue and lived!
Offhand, i can't think of anyone who's been in the dark with one and survived, either.

(Well, there's the encounter with the Ur-Grue at the end of "Beyond Zork", but i never actually finished that - i got all the way to that point, then chose the wrong entrance to his lair and died, and then i didn't have access to the computer any more for a while...)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Warrl wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:
Indeed.

Gryphon is effectively a K-12 school in a single complex (or, maybe, building). There was apparently nothing odd about Castela showing up for lunch at the same place & time as Atsali.
Usually they try to keep the elementary and high school kids separated by physical restrictions and by schedule . . . but since they're sisters, that could be relaxed.
Warrl wrote:
DON'T turn on a light! Nobody has ever seen a grue and lived!
That's because grues dematerialize in the light.

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Brasten wrote:I kinda wonder what would happen if Atsali started singing at Devyn.
She did come out of her last episode after hearing Atsali's voice...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Warrl wrote:Indeed.DON'T turn on a light! Nobody has ever seen a grue and lived!
Offhand, i can't think of anyone who's been in the dark with one and survived, either.
Oh, I did that several times. (If you hear the grue, get OUT of the room with the refrigerator.)
AnotherFairportfan

Warrl wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Oh, I did that several times. (If you hear the grue, get OUT of the room with the refrigerator.)
The places where i met grues, there wasn't any warning like that.

Though ... hmmm ... i'll have to try Beyond Zork again...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

What the heck is a grue? And what's a Spigeon? Or was that in a different thread?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

A grue is a monster from the Zork series of text-based single-player computer games. In the original Zork (don't know about the successors) grues were never seen, but you were warned that they frequented dark places. If you ever found yourself in a completely dark place (e.g. your lantern or flashlight went dead) there was a high chance that you would be eaten by a grue.

Spigeons? Never heard of them before this thread, but given the context I'd guess that they're a cross between snakes and pigeons. Someone more knowledgeable may be able to fill in the details - e.g. whether they poop on you before, or after they bite/strangle you.