Have A Bite 2012-09-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
chibichibi01

Re: Have A Bite 2012-09-03

Post by chibichibi01 »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Dave wrote:Kosh: "Yes."
Nudge: "Who are you?"
Tsillah: "What do you want?"
Bia: "Why are you here?"

And FYI for everyone, Google's webpage caching lets you read the old comments if you do a search.
AGH. I want to see Tsillah again! I need more info on our shadowy puppy owner
ImageImage
Wolf
Location: South West Washington State, up in the mountains not far from the Columbia River.

Post by Wolf »

Holy. Moley!

I don't remember ever seeing Nudge in full-bore ticked-off mode before, and I think it started here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/for-petesake/

Assuming Phix is in her natural, unrestrained form and size, then Nudge is also huge in her natural form; their body sizes are definitely comparable!

If this is how the week starts, I'm wondering what Friday's going to be like - might make global thermonuclear war look like a match-stick, me thinks.

Heh. Considering too the "family chart" revealed thus far, I'm wondering if Paul was tempted to use "Have a piece of tail" in that last panel rather than "Have a bite!"

::dumps contents of wallet and change-jars into the pun vault::
Words that sink into the soul are whispered, not yelled.
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

Well said. Up until now, we only saw a rather wissy Nudge (that's the feminine form of "wussy"), one who got knocked out of Tina by Phix and had the phlogiston beaten out of her at the coffee bar. A trickster who lived by her wits rather than by her strength. We see it ain't so. I would seriously not want to piss this lady off.
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

The Old Wolf wrote:Well said. Up until now, we only saw a rather wissy Nudge (that's the feminine form of "wussy"), one who got knocked out of Tina by Phix and had the phlogiston beaten out of her at the coffee bar. A trickster who lived by her wits rather than by her strength. We see it ain't so. I would seriously not want to piss this lady off.
Well said. ;)
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Wolf wrote:
Assuming Phix is in her natural, unrestrained form and size, then Nudge is also huge in her natural form; their body sizes are definitely comparable!
:
I think it has been stated (somewhere) that Nudge is @ 9 ft tall, Phix in her natural form is 10 ft.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

davids4250 wrote:I think it has been stated (somewhere) that Nudge is @ 9 ft tall, Phix in her natural form is 10 ft.
Judging from this, that must be 10 feet when Phix is on all fours. Although they look about the same height in that comic. If Phix stood up in that form she would be more like 16 feet tall. Maybe more depending how much she can stretch those hind legs..
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Dave

Post by Dave »

davids4250 wrote:I think it has been stated (somewhere) that Nudge is @ 9 ft tall, Phix in her natural form is 10 ft.
You remember correctly, as far as Nudge is concerned.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Who else here is hearing the Irish fight music from Star Trek TOS as they read this?
Last edited by Yamara on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yamara wrote:Who else hear is hearing the Irish fight music from Star Trek TOS as they read this?
So, who is Kirk and who is Finnigan?
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Dave wrote:
Yamara wrote:Who else here is hearing the Irish fight music from Star Trek TOS as they read this?
So, who is Kirk and who is Finnigan?
Well, since Nudge "bested" Phix before, that would make Nudge Finnegan.

Though it looks like she's going 2 for 2 so far.

Yamara

Post by Yamara »

On the other paw, Nudge described Phix as the "bully".

I just hear the music is all.

NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Sideromelane wrote:It strikes me, upon even a cursory search, that there are a LOT of tricksters in mythology. And while many of the Wapsi cast's supernatural entities seem to have carried dual roles now and then, they tend to usually just be temporary gigs.

Could Nudge have been ALL the big tricksters of mythology? Taking on a role for a few centuries, then skipping off to give birth to wolves or something, then appearing elsewhere as Coyote etc. I've seen internet trolls go to as much effort for lulz.

And:

(She is at LEAST a shapeshifter, so her current appearance doesn't mean much)
Well, Maybe.

Nudge apparently did not know how to shapeshift until just before Tina made Shelly beat her up; she studied several books from the Library, then was 'helped' by Phix to change into a schoolgirl form/disguize outfit completely unsuited to the blizzard currently underway in Minneapolis. If she was faking ignorance, she was apparently trying to fool herself as well.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Bathorys Daughter

NOTDilbert wrote:
Sideromelane wrote:It strikes me, upon even a cursory search, that there are a LOT of tricksters in mythology. And while many of the Wapsi cast's supernatural entities seem to have carried dual roles now and then, they tend to usually just be temporary gigs.

Could Nudge have been ALL the big tricksters of mythology? Taking on a role for a few centuries, then skipping off to give birth to wolves or something, then appearing elsewhere as Coyote etc. I've seen internet trolls go to as much effort for lulz.

And:

(She is at LEAST a shapeshifter, so her current appearance doesn't mean much)
Well, Maybe.

Nudge apparently did not know how to shapeshift until just before Tina made Shelly beat her up; she studied several books from the Library, then was 'helped' by Phix to change into a schoolgirl form/disguize outfit completely unsuited to the blizzard currently underway in Minneapolis. If she was faking ignorance, she was apparently trying to fool herself as well.
I'm not so sure about that. It was my impression she could shapeshift, just that it was taking on a human shape she was not so good at. Since Phix had done it before, she hoped she would give her some pointers. I think all Phix did was trick the trickster into wearing the wrong clothes for the season.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Dave

Post by Dave »

NOTDilbert wrote:Nudge apparently did not know how to shapeshift until just before Tina made Shelly beat her up; she studied several books from the Library, then was 'helped' by Phix to change into a schoolgirl form/disguize outfit completely unsuited to the blizzard currently underway in Minneapolis. If she was faking ignorance, she was apparently trying to fool herself as well.
We know that Nudge was able to shape-shift years earlier than that... she shapeshifted into an animal form when she lured Shelly out into the wilderness during Shelly's visionquest. As Bathory's Daughter said, it was shapeshifting into a convincing human form, that Nudge said she wasn't very good at doing.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Well, Maybe.

She might have just not known how to shift into human form. I would guess that she had done lots of shifting into animal and demon forms before that. (Remember, she spent years in Tina as a demon)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Bathorys Daughter

Mark N wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:
Well, Maybe.

She might have just not known how to shift into human form. I would guess that she had done lots of shifting into animal and demon forms before that. (Remember, she spent years in Tina as a demon)
Interesting point. It never occurred to me she took on a demon form while among Tina's demons. You could be right. Still, when she appeared to Monica that first time, she took on her normal shape. Did she change for that moment or does using the left-eye trick always reveal a shapeshifter's true form? Of course there is also the fact that, even in her normal form, she tends to look like a demon anyway. Heck, even the demons can shapeshift to some extent as we have seen in various comics in which the demon Doubt from Jin would appear to vary her form while talking to Monica, even going down to just a head on occasion. That form of change, however, might not be true shapeshifting. Rather it may just be her showing different parts of her body through the "doorway." Like just sticking your head through a partly opened door. Other distortions may be a property of the doorway itself, like rising heat can distort an ordinary object. I'm getting carried away here, better stop.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Dave wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:Nudge apparently did not know how to shapeshift until just before Tina made Shelly beat her up; she studied several books from the Library, then was 'helped' by Phix to change into a schoolgirl form/disguize outfit completely unsuited to the blizzard currently underway in Minneapolis. If she was faking ignorance, she was apparently trying to fool herself as well.
We know that Nudge was able to shape-shift years earlier than that... she shapeshifted into an animal form when she lured Shelly out into the wilderness during Shelly's visionquest. As Bathory's Daughter said, it was shapeshifting into a convincing human form, that Nudge said she wasn't very good at doing.
You all may be right, I have not done an archive crawl in a while - something I need to schedule for. :)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville