Make Her Stronger 2012-08-31

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
chibichibi01

Re: Make Her Stronger 2012-08-31

Post by chibichibi01 »

i still can't get over the style of today's panel. I love the sketchiness of it, and the way that Nudge looks like she's ready to rumble.
ImageImage
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Dave wrote:
txmystic wrote:Looking at the emotions Phix has displayed since Bia dropped the bomb on Shelly, I'd say these "decisions" were not necessarily her own, but those of a larger supernatural cabal (with Bia involved) designed to put the earth plane back together from the destruction of the chimera. As such, I'm certain she would have done things a lot differently had she a choice in the matter.
Even if Phix was "under orders" she still had a choice... to obey and remain silent, or to "break orders" and speak. We've seen that she's willing to "bend the rules" if she considers it appropriate to do so - she is not a helpless slave to the powers that run the Library.

Even if there is/was a cabal involving Bia, there's good reason to believe that the cabal had not ordered Phix to remain silent about Shelly's ancestry: Bia had clearly thought that Phix and Shelly had already discussed it at some length before she (Bia) showed up!

I'm sure that Phix had her reasons and motives for remaining silent. They may be very good reasons and motives. I believe that she chose to do so - I don't see any evidence that there was a gun aimed at her head to prevent her from speaking. Now, the bill comes due.
Well, I think Phix was starting with something fairly benign by telling Shelly she was kinda "set up" with Justin. Well, we saw how Shelly reacted to that small revalation. Shelly reacts like Phix reacts... violently. While I don't think Phix was scared of Shelly, she being Shelly's grandmother didn't want to upset her and was probably searching for the best way to tell her. Let's face it, a lot of what Phix knew was potentially upsetting. Bia, in effect jumped the gun by assuming Phix and Shelly already had this discussion, after all 80,000 years is a long time.

However, Phix, (I'll deny I ever mentioned this...) has a different relationship to time (*warning TV Tropes)than the rest of us and is more on the order of Nudge and Bia. So maybe 80,000 may not be such a long time to put off telling Shelly stuff after all, relatively.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Dave wrote:Even if there is/was a cabal involving Bia, there's good reason to believe that the cabal had not ordered Phix to remain silent about Shelly's ancestry: Bia had clearly thought that Phix and Shelly had already discussed it at some length before she (Bia) showed up!
That's a very good point. What I'm looking forward to finding out is what does Shelly's dad know about all this and when did he know it? We know he has some glimmer of awareness of the supernatural given the incident with child-shelly, the "doll," and the lost day.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Dave wrote:Even if there is/was a cabal involving Bia, there's good reason to believe that the cabal had not ordered Phix to remain silent about Shelly's ancestry: Bia had clearly thought that Phix and Shelly had already discussed it at some length before she (Bia) showed up!
That's a very good point. What I'm looking forward to finding out is what does Shelly's dad know about all this and when did he know it? We know he has some glimmer of awareness of the supernatural given the incident with child-shelly, the "doll," and the lost day.
Not to mention his reaction to a thrown, mostly assembled, engine. To Shelly being hit on the head with a bowling ball. Or even grinding off the back third of a car.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Not to mention his reaction to a thrown, mostly assembled, engine. To Shelly being hit on the head with a bowling ball. Or even grinding off the back third of a car.
Great points you two. I have a feeling that the revelation of the hidden truths will be something to see.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Related to the title, here is Jin telling Monica that her demons, "While they can make you stronger, they can shred you from the inside out."

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/didntlikewhatshefound/

Then Jin connects a couple dots with Shelly's visionquest.

The one incident Nudge was not a part of was the accident in Mexico City, as she was hundreds of miles north at that moment, and cannot teleport like Jin. While we know she later put Tina back together as best she could, we really don't know how Monica recovered.

Phix's concern is that Monica not experience turmoil (which she obviously did); Jin was concerned that Monica not die in turmoil, lest her demons take the helm, and thus control the Chimera.

But dying is dying. Turmoil doesn't affect that: Demons are helpless to move a dead body.

Unless they have help.

So what is Nudge playing at here.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Mark N wrote:Great points you two. I have a feeling that the revelation of the hidden truths will be something to see.
I agree, good insights. Here's another peek into Bia's character as Mrs. Wahnee: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/mesaverde/

In fact, the whole sequence of Monica's introduction to Phix is full of treasures.

Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Yamara wrote:The one incident Nudge was not a part of was the accident in Mexico City, as she was hundreds of miles north at that moment, and cannot teleport like Jin. While we know she later put Tina back together as best she could, we really don't know how Monica recovered.
In order to "put Tina back together before either autopsy or embalming, she had to travel pretty fast...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Fairportfan wrote:
Yamara wrote:The one incident Nudge was not a part of was the accident in Mexico City, as she was hundreds of miles north at that moment, and cannot teleport like Jin. While we know she later put Tina back together as best she could, we really don't know how Monica recovered.
In order to "put Tina back together before either autopsy or embalming, she had to travel pretty fast...
Who's to say Tochtli travelled alone? They were both in the approximate same places at the approximate same time...

"Tune in same Wapsi station, same Wapsi time..."
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

Dave wrote:Even if there is/was a cabal involving Bia, there's good reason to believe that the cabal had not ordered Phix to remain silent about Shelly's ancestry: Bia had clearly thought that Phix and Shelly had already discussed it at some length before she (Bia) showed up!1
Well, she claimed to think so in front of Shelly, but she might have known otherwise. In which case she put it like that in order to seem like the "honest" one and drive a wedge between Phix and Shelly. Let's keep an open mind about that point.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You know, I was wandering through the archives, and I came upon something - I have a feeling that Bia doesn't like Jin very much.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
Who's to say Tochtli travelled alone? They were both in the approximate same places at the approximate same time...
An excellently interesting point, Jin is being distracted and is surprised by Monica's actions, which she can react to instantly (via telepathy and her prerequisite knowledge of the old Aztec capital, allowing her to poit there). But she acted confident and assured in finding Shelly out in the middle of nowhere, someplace Jin was unlikely to ever have visited, even in 100,000 years.

But my point stands that Nudge is not personally present 'causing' the bus accident, as she is very busy with trickstering Shelly that week, and Jin is not aware of a problem in Mexico, so can't be ferrying Nudge back and forth. But the poit prerequisite of knowing where you are going means that Jin couldn't just find Shelly in wilderness. She had to know where to go, or where to wait.

Though, now that you mention Tochtli, Jabber, it occurs to me that Nudge had another passage to Mexico available. And yes, FPF, she would have to be able to travel very fast indeed.

So I'll see your mysterious Atzec god, and raise you a mysterious Hellenic one:

If souls have their own doorways, why does Charon have a job?

Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:You know, I was wandering through the archives, and I came upon something - I have a feeling that Bia doesn't like Jin very much.
I'm not going to swear at it, but I remember Pablo saying that the apparition was entirely in Toch's head. And we know that Acacia had dreams about her too.
They might remember her as an image from the Chimera's memory, blending the image of 'lil Bia and Charon. Surely there is some genrealized intercoursing of the thought processes of that time. (They do seem to remember the emotions of rage and hatred more than anything else.)

And that leads, of course, to a spin off animated series..."Olympus Babies". The stories of the gods when they were just precoscious 'lil tots... :lol:

(Oh, come on. You know you'd watch...)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Yamara wrote:If souls have their own doorways, why does Charon have a job?
So he can move out of his mother's basement and get a nice apartment in Athens? ;)

But really, who here thinks there's only two mysterious subplots awaiting our gaping mouths?
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Jabberwonky wrote:And that leads, of course, to a spin off animated series..."Olympus Babies". The stories of the gods when they were just precoscious 'lil tots... :lol:

I think... Wapsi is that spinoff. And why yes, I am watching it.

"My Little Titan"...
Jabberwonky wrote:
Yamara wrote:If souls have their own doorways, why does Charon have a job?
So he can move out of his mother's basement and get a nice apartment in Athens? ;)
Seriously, dude, the Ancient Greeks need to invent an Internet so you can win it this morning.
Jabberwonky wrote:But really, who here thinks there's only two mysterious subplots awaiting our gaping mouths?
Connie mentioned Nancy Drew, which means we get to engage in rigorous deduction while making total asses of ourselves.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Yamara wrote:Connie mentioned Nancy Drew, which means we get to engage in rigorous deduction while making total asses of ourselves.
That's one of the fun things about logic. You can reason with complete, rigorous logic to prove something... but if your starting axioms are wrong, your proof means nothing and your conclusions are meaningless. If your axioms are actually inconsistent with one another, you can prove literally anything with logical deduction. And, you can't use logic to prove the correctness of your starting axioms... any system of logic which lets you do so, is necessarily inconsistent and can contradict itself.

So, yeah, there's plenty of room here for us to make ourselves look incredibly foolish.

It's still fun, though! :D
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Yamara wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:And that leads, of course, to a spin off animated series..."Olympus Babies". The stories of the gods when they were just precoscious 'lil tots... :lol:

I think... Wapsi is that spinoff. And why yes, I am watching it.

"My Little Titan"...
That was one of those moments when I'm glad I work alone. The loud bark of laughter and subsequent giggle fit would have only deepened my reputation if it had been witnessed... :lol:
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Fairportfan wrote:
Well, Nudge must have either been already in the demon realm or went into into it in order to interact with the demons and get Tina moving. In that world, going from place to place in our world may be just a step to the left (at right angles to all 3 of the usual dimensions, of course). Although, if that's right I would wonder why she needed Tepoz to chauffeur her to Monica's house that time. Could be she doesn't dare show her cute smiling face there anymore after the Tina thingy.
Maybe the doorway only gets the soul as far as Charon's waiting room.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Please delete this post
Last edited by Fairportfan on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Jabberwonky wrote:That was one of those moments when I'm glad I work alone. The loud bark of laughter and subsequent giggle fit would have only deepened my reputation if it had been witnessed... :lol:
Yup. I'm just as glad i was alone at the end of last night's Dr Who (i forgot it was on last night, but i'd set the DVR) when we got to the punchline...

As i said on another forum (many of my readers will know where...):
FairportFan wrote:I am going to take out a loan...

...drive down to New Orleans to the passport office (where i can get a passport in two or three days), buy a ticket to London (or maybe Cardiff), find Steven Moffat,,,

And slap him upside the head.

I forgot that the new Dr Who season started last night - but i had set the DVR.

I just watched it.

I think this one qualifies as a shaggy K9 story.

Now, there's more than a little pathos, particularly concerning the central non-TARDIS-related character, and the situation Rory and Amy are in at the beginning of the episode, and it's pretty good pathos.

But the punchline...

ARRRGGGHHHH!
=====================
=====================
mike weber