Make Her Stronger 2012-08-31

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Make Her Stronger 2012-08-31

Post by Dave »

Trickster. Is. Pissed!

Wow. That's more of a savage, below-the-belt jab than we have ever seen from Nudge before.

Very unhappy with how both Shelly and Monica have been treated?

(edit: I love the way that this drawing includes and uses a bunch of the original pencil sketching. For me, this adds to the sense of raw, primitive energy in the scene... it reinforces the power of Nudge's tense, coiled stance and her barbed comment.)
Last edited by Dave on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark N

Re: Make Her Stronger 2012-08-31

Post by Mark N »

Now we can see Nudge's game here. Nudge knows that the whole "This will make you stronger" bit is just crap. She despises Bia for setting the ball in motion and she is pissed that Phix has played along for so long. All in all she is forcing everyone to learn from this and save the friendships and family (face it, the main cast are all one very strange and powerful family) that has formed and that she loves.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Ouch! I hope Nudge knows what she's doing, she might still end as dessert! She might be pouring a little too much salt on the wounds.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

And Nudge pulls out the big guns. This was a multi megaton hydrogen bomb dropped right smack on top of the emotional armor Phix is pulling into place. Nudge knows she's pushing Phix's buttons. That's a combat ready stance. Nice to see that when something matters to Nudge, she dosen't back down.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Yup, Nudge just upgraded to Shove.

*dropping my copy of Chrono Cross which has been eating these last few days replaying into this dimension's pun jar
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

It looks like we are starting to see Nudge in her more feral mode as well now. Her "monster" mode. It's becoming apparent she is not all jokes and smiles. She's going in for the (verbal) kill.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

I thought Nudge's dialog balloon looked like a 'box in a box' kind of thing, like not only was she using Bia's words, but maybe even mimiking her voice to make the point.

And what Trickster wouldn't be a perfect mimic?

Also, her body language says 'flee or fight' - she knows damn well she just pushed the Big Red Button.

Anyone wonder about Phix's childhood? What may have been sacrificed 'to make her stronger' ?
The issue may be deeper and more personal than we have suspected.
Last edited by NOTDilbert on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

NOTDilbert wrote:Also, her body language says 'flee or fight' - she knows damn well she just pushed the Big Red Button.
I read her body language as getting down to Phix's level who is still on the ground to look her straight in the eyes while delivering the verbal smackdown. She is 9' tall after all.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

Somebody called this. I'm not sure who it was, but they deserve a cookie.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

starkruzr wrote:Somebody called this. I'm not sure who it was, but they deserve a cookie.
I don't thinque Phix is handing out cookies right now.

And I've never seen those erect spines on Nudge's back before. She's ready to fight.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

davids4250 wrote:
starkruzr wrote:Somebody called this. I'm not sure who it was, but they deserve a cookie.
I don't thinque Phix is handing out cookies right now.

And I've never seen those erect spines on Nudge's back before. She's ready to fight.
Not just fight. She's getting ready for anything. The mimic Bia is the key to bring the message home to Phix about how her anger affected Monica and Shelly. That in many ways Phix is as much at fault for what is happening to Shelly as Bia is. How could Bia force Phix to go along with sending her son to earth. She couldn't. By letting Bia talk Phix into it puts a part of the blame on Phix, and 'I Didn't Know' doesn't work. Phix will react and Nudge just wants to survive and still get the message across. So the stance is a non-verbal warning saying 'You're going to hear me out and I am not stopping. If violence is your answer bring it on.

But I do wonder what is Nudge's reason for this action. Usually a nudge is a little push. This point she is willing to go to the matresses for. Why? Tricksters are not known for this type of action at all.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

davids4250 wrote:Ouch! I hope Nudge knows what she's doing, she might still end as dessert! She might be pouring a little too much salt on the wounds.
Library's protection of the Librarians (Phix and Nudge) aside, I still wonder just how powerful Nudge is or isn't. When both Shelly+Tina and Phix attacked her, she really made no attempt to physically defend herself despite taking what looked like a pretty good beating. No idea where she stacks on the physical power/durability scale.

Though granted, if nothing else, the bonus of the Library's invulnerability would basically give Phix an indestructible punching bag in Nudge (though Nudge's lack of flight and poiting may make any trips like Bia's a trek back).
zachariah wrote:So the stance is a non-verbal warning saying 'You're going to hear me out and I am not stopping. If violence is your answer bring it on.

But I do wonder what is Nudge's reason for this action. Usually a nudge is a little push. This point she is willing to go to the matresses for. Why? Tricksters are not known for this type of action at all.
Again though, same reason Phix was able to attack Bia and expect to live the next 5 minutes. Library's natural protection for Librarians, of which both Phix and Nudge are now. Probably means that Phix wouldn't be able to kill Nudge even if she desperately wanted to do so, at least while they're both still within the library.

And Phix has always struck me as a person willing to teach, but not willing to learn. No matter what Phix or Nudge said, Phix had no intent on listening to either back during Nudge's reveal. Based on most progressions we've seen from Phix, she's always acting on orders from above, higher beings on the food chain or the library itself (going back to her original sentencing as a Librarian). In short, Phix is proud and stubborn. Similar to Shelly, you have to give her a good shock to get her to listen at all. Phix is in a bit of self-pity mode (This is who I am / I shouldn't have done that in public). Nudge may just be trying to force her into a different mindset (frustration, rage, or self defense) to get Phix to listen to Nudge instead of just prattling on to herself. A nudge only works if someone registers it.
Last edited by sonicthunder on Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

Yeah, figured it'd come down to this. Phix isn't going to stand for Nudge talking to her like that much less rubbing salt in her wounds. And Nudges stance just screams ready for combat. Unless the library itself intervenes this is gonna be one ugly knock down drag out brawl.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

And meanwhile I'm hearing Kanye West in the background :roll:

(Aside to mods - we need a facepalm smiley pronto)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

oh she up to something.... nudge is walking a very fine line with her
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Ratcatcher

Post by Ratcatcher »

Sphinx-Napped wrote:oh she up to something.... nudge is walking a very fine line with her
In my family it is known as the 'Armegedon (spelling) rag', also known as tempting the fates.

A Painful but at some points needed kick in the butt.
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

I knew it! C'mon Nudge, I thought you had more finesse than that!

Have I mentioned I hate friday webcomic days?
ImageImage
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

[#10] WHAT!?... [/#10]

Nudge or Phix is MONICA'S MOM?!.... that's the only way that statement would make sense. or, on second thought, Nudge is using it to kick Phix a good one in order to make her listen, and that Phix needs to go make up with Monica, rather than letting things stay as they are, i'll bet that the next time we see that beach scene ?two weeks from now? that we find Phix there as well, she was either just off-camera, or she was late...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
BallBearingMousetrap

Post by BallBearingMousetrap »

Yeah, that's a Nudge in a raw spot... sarcastic but called for. "Yeah, that's going to bother her. So what are YOU going to do about it?"
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

mmmmmm, I know it is tempting to give nudge a "you go girl" here, but I think her defensive stance is because she's bracing for what is coming, not necessarily that she's going to challenge Phix. And I think her indignation is still more about what happened to Shelly, and not what Monica saw.
I think her look reflects her anger at Bia.