Her Drama 2012-08-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sgt. Howard

Re: Her Drama 2012-08-30

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Yup- she WAS more concerned about Monica's reaction than anything else. There WAS history between them. Nudge really isn't that fluffed abount the gore... but her manipulation of the conversation doesn't seem ... prudent? ... at this point.
Are Drama Queens tasty?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I'm beginning to be suspicious of Shelly. She was the one who told Nudge to interfere in her vision quest which resulted in 'creepy little girl' to protect her while in the time forrest. Now rereading this comic http://wapsisquare.com/comic/catalystforavision/ I wonder if Shelly didn't tell Bia to 'die' to make her stronger and tougher for what lies ahead. Shelly is after all The Sage of the Forrest. Of course I'm still suspicious of Brandi and her deals, but what if it all leads back to Shelly!? http://www.dramabutton.com/

Oh, and can anyone tell me how to make the URL a word? I don't know how to do it with this computer language (what is it anyhow?), only HTML. Thanks!
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wdot wrote:Oh, and can anyone tell me how to make the URL a word? I don't know how to do it with this computer language (what is it anyhow?), only HTML. Thanks!
Sure, though I'll have to do it in words rather than symbols, of course. What you want is...

bracket url=http://whatever closebracket Your Message Goes Here bracket /url closebracket

It's analogous to (and is turned into) the HTML A-tag with href="http://whatever" notation.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

wdot -- this forum system uses BBCode instead of straight HTML, so do it this way.

Type whatever you want to type. Select the word or text you want to become a Link. Click the URL button above.

You will see {url}Thing I Want To Be A Link{/url} in the preview pane, except square brackets instead of curlies.

Copy the link you want to use, and change the first tag to read {url=}. Past your link in the tag after the = sign, like this:

{url=http://wapsisquare.com/}Wapsi Square{/url} and it will come out like this:

Wapsi Square

Ta da! Hope that made sense!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wdot wrote:I'm beginning to be suspicious of Shelly... I wonder if Shelly didn't tell Bia to 'die' to make her stronger and tougher for what lies ahead.
I can't make the chronology work, for that idea. If this had been the case, Shelly-now would have almost certainly recognized and remembered Bia... she seems to have brought back a pretty good memory of her time in the Forest. Seeing Bia in the library, and learning about her Titan ancestry (and her relationship to Phix) would not have been the terrible shock that they were.

Unless Shelly somehow enters another time-reversed worldline, from some point after "now", I don't see how her newly-acquired knowledge could affect her past.
Shademaker

Post by Shademaker »

I think Nudge has been manipulating things for some time - starting when she had enough of Bia. At this point Bia is out of the picture, everyone has a clearer understanding of the past, Phix has more status. Monica has a better understanding of what her friends really are - but she will realize that they are still friends.

Nudge hasn't done anything except reveal a few facts at the right time, but she is ultimately behind these transitions. That's how tricksters work. DON'T annoy them.

I *really* wanna see where Paul is taking this.
Last edited by Shademaker on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

Nudge is quite an expert manipulating people into doing the right thing..... so, I do believe she is in no real danger of getting eaten, she will play Phix into taking the right path or at least try to because I think Phix already know what she will do.... but I love it how all this seems so very normal for Nudge. Ain't drama queens tasty!? :D
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Now, for Nudge to (for her, anyway) start the straight talk, this does seem like a fairly serious moment. A good Trickster knows exactly when to drop out of TalkAround Mode. She has seen Phix get Wild Kingdom before, I gather, and is more surprised that somebody hadn't capped Medeia before now. Instead of walking on eggshells around Monica, every Mythic worth their stories should be grateful there's at least one halfway-normal Human who still hangs out with them, even past the occasional circle-of-life I-wanna-be-a-carnivore-when-I-grow-up moments.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Yarner wrote:Oh, btw...
So this sphinx was a female? (Well, she did seem to have breasts, some people even mistook her for Nudge at the time).
Previously I thought the males had goat's heads, but it seems it's a full race or at leas an ethnic group among sphinxes?
I'm pretty confused now about the whole sphinxology...
So the apos are a subgroup? What is Phix?
My theory is that Phix is a Apo-human hybrid. This also means she is half (or some fraction depending on intervening generations) human and has a true human side just as Shelly does. Perhaps just farther removed.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

kingklash wrote:Instead of walking on eggshells around Monica, every Mythic worth their stories should be grateful there's at least one halfway-normal Human who still hangs out with them, even past the occasional circle-of-life I-wanna-be-a-carnivore-when-I-grow-up moments.
Well, there's also Officer TB, but he doesn't really get a say whether he wants to hang with the immortals or not (true there's Kat, but she's only dealt with the most civilized parts of the supernatual/immortal world, she may not hold up well if she encountered the more visceral side).
Bathorys Daughter

kingklash wrote:Now, for Nudge to (for her, anyway) start the straight talk, this does seem like a fairly serious moment. A good Trickster knows exactly when to drop out of TalkAround Mode. She has seen Phix get Wild Kingdom before, I gather, and is more surprised that somebody hadn't capped Medeia before now. Instead of walking on eggshells around Monica, every Mythic worth their stories should be grateful there's at least one halfway-normal Human who still hangs out with them, even past the occasional circle-of-life I-wanna-be-a-carnivore-when-I-grow-up moments.
We don't know Nudge has seen Phix (specifically) go feral before. Indications from the conversation when she was removed from Tina indicate she had not met her before Phix was sent to run the library. They have been there together only a short time at this point. No doubt she has seen others do so, however.
sonicthunder wrote:
kingklash wrote:Instead of walking on eggshells around Monica, every Mythic worth their stories should be grateful there's at least one halfway-normal Human who still hangs out with them, even past the occasional circle-of-life I-wanna-be-a-carnivore-when-I-grow-up moments.
Well, there's also Officer TB, but he doesn't really get a say whether he wants to hang with the immortals or not (true there's Kat, but she's only dealt with the most civilized parts of the supernatual/immortal world, she may not hold up well if she encountered the more visceral side).
Oh, I don't know. She is the woman who pins live spiders to her display box. Kills, cleans and eats squirrels.
Last edited by Bathorys Daughter on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Masterof7s

Post by Masterof7s »

The Old Wolf wrote:Mortals may not have teeth and claws, or the ability to poit or destroy worlds, but all of us have an element of the monstrous within us. Part of life's battle is keeping that part at bay, and knowing when to let it out. The supernaturals don't seem all that different to me.
I think you're making the same mistake in perception that Monica did before Phix went feral. Expecting human behavior from a non-human being is the same kind anthrocentric ideology that leaves people in shock when they discover that wild animals are exactly that and not Disney characters. Nature is a cruel mistress where the weak are destroyed.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
So this sphinx was a female? (Well, she did seem to have breasts, some people even mistook her for Nudge at the time).
Previously I thought the males had goat's heads, but it seems it's a full race or at leas an ethnic group among sphinxes?
My theory is that Phix is a Apo-human hybrid. This also means she is half (or some fraction depending on intervening generations) human and has a true human side just as Shelly does. Perhaps just farther removed.
Bia (more or less) answered that one here (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/a-place-to-grow/). This could mean that Sphinx's have different species (races?) and the goat heads are just another species. Whether it is because of hybridization waits to be answered.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Bathorys Daughter

Mark N wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Bia (more or less) answered that one here (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/a-place-to-grow/). This could mean that Sphinx's have different species (races?) and the goat heads are just another species. Whether it is because of hybridization waits to be answered.
Right, but the question is how did they get a start? How did the human head species get started? Unlike the Apos, it appears there are only female human-headed sphinxes so how do they, as a species, propagate?. In the story it's been said that her kind retreated from the human world. Yet it's also been said that sphinxes (presumably her kind of sphinx and not all sphinxes) come from humans. Does this mean no new human headed sphinxes, apart from Shelly, have been born for thousands of years?
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Having looked at the comic again since this morning, I'm going to go with the Nudge is doing her "make Phix think about how this affected Monica" thing.

On a related note, think this explains why Shelly wanted so badly to reenter human society and why Phix was trying so hard to help her. Since Shelly believed she had a normal human lifespan, I'm betting Phix believed it too. Even if she didn't, it's clear to me she was trying to give her granddaughter what she wanted and was trying to shelter her from both Sphinx society and and Titan society.

Shelly is her blood, her family. Shelly is the only thing she has left of the son she had to give up. I think she very much wants Shelly to be happy and was willing to do what was nessesary to see that happen.
Bathorys Daughter

Boxilar wrote:Shelly is her blood, her family. Shelly is the only thing she has left of the son she had to give up. I think she very much wants Shelly to be happy and was willing to do what was nessesary to see that happen.
Not quite. Her son is still alive and well. I'm looking forward to that family reunion. "Hi dad! It's me, Shelly ... and I brought your mom over!" And she might add, "Oh, and I met mom too, but she couldn't make it 'cause gran'ma knocked her through a stone wall!"
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Bathorys Daughter wrote: "Hi dad! It's me, Shelly ... and I brought your mom over!" And she might add, "Oh, and I met mom too, but she couldn't make it 'cause gran'ma knocked her through a stone wall!"
Shades of Jerry Springer there....could make for some very lively family reunions.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Dave and Atomic thank you for your help! And Dave one thing I've learned reading and watching scores of novels and TV shows is this: Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-wimey!
Last edited by Wdot on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Julie

Post by Julie »

sonicthunder wrote:
Didn't we learn that Justin (aka Officer TB) is actually Epimetheus? That would make him a Titan, and not a "normal human."
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Wdot wrote:Dave and Atomic thank you for your help! And Dave one thing I've learned reading and watching scores of novels and TV shows is this: [ url=http://d2tq98mqfjyz2l.cloudfront.net/im ... 378540.jpg ] Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-wimey! [ /url]]
You need to remove the spaces between the first "[" of each "URL" tag and the next character (and you might remove the spaces between the tags and the text they enclose, too):

Code: Select all

And [b]Dave[/b] one thing I've learned reading and watching scores of novels and TV shows is this: [url=http://d2tq98mqfjyz2l.cloudfront.net/image_cache/1307090399378540.jpg ]Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-wimey![/url]
And then it will look like this:
And Dave one thing I've learned reading and watching scores of novels and TV shows is this: Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-wimey!
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber