Nerds Like Us 2015-10-09

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: Nerds Like Us 2015-10-09

Post by AmriloJim »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Bimbo used to mean a tough guy.
It's also a baked goods brand. :)
Yup, available as far north as Amarillo. Distributed here by the Mrs. Bairds folks.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

shadowinthelight wrote:
No idea if that's the same. Being that that is Spanish (beem-boh) and the “bimbo" I'm referring to is from American 1920s and 30s slang.

Hell, Betty Boop's anthropomorphic pug boyfriend was named Bimbo
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Also Betty Boop's boy friend

{Definitely from a pre-Hays Office cartoon)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

AmriloJim wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
Yup, available as far north as Amarillo. Distributed here by the Mrs. Bairds folks.
Actually, as far north as Emporia*, Kansas. And possibly Topeka or K.C.

*there's this great little restaurant called El Marmol there that railroaders I pick up in Emporia always want me to take them to before we head to their drop off. You can get a burrito the size of your fist for $6, or one the size of both for $7.50. And the hot sauce is actually spicy (like ghost peppers are boring spicy). The purple building at the corner of South Avenue and West street (no, I'm not making that up), you can't miss it.
Last edited by Gyrrakavian on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Sorry about that. Totally know the feeling, too (108 by my last count).
Only 108? :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote: Sorry about that. Totally know the feeling, too (108 by my last count).
It's OK. I only have myself to blame... I particularly enjoy story-driven comics, and I probably have several hundreds bookmarked (not counting gag-a-day comics as well). I organize the bookmarks by type (sci-fi, Anthro-Furry-Animals, Computer-tech, Fantasy, etc). giving you an accurate count is both too complicated and time-consuming to bother with... Some, I check regularly, some I check weekly, some I check when I'm bored. Some take so long for me to go back to, that I forget what the story was about and have to go back through the archives... :roll:

I obviously have a problem, so you did not put me up to bookmarking it: I did it all on my own... :mrgreen:
Let me guess, roughly half are ones you've found when the others you read go on hiatus for one reason or another.
I don't know about "half"... But I do have a tendency to follow links from ads on comic pages (like Project Wonderful), as well as suggestions from forums... Also, when I am bored and I make it through a comic's archives to their front page, sometimes I will check out their "links" page, to see what comics the author recommends... In either case, I will first open the comic in an anonymous browser window, in case I decide I not only don't want to read the comic, but don't even want it in my history (I don't want any indecent stuff in my history, for instance, or stuff that is too involved in realistic magic or witchcraft)... I will begin reading it for a while, and if I like it enough, I'll bookmark it. If not, I merely close the window.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Sorry about that. Totally know the feeling, too (108 by my last count).
I remember, a few years ago, I had bookmarks for over 800 or so comics. I tried to prune back those I hardly ever read, but I still had a lot leftover... Every year or two, I try to see if I can prune some, because I always end up adding some back, over time...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Actually, as far north as Emporia*, Kansas. And possibly Topeka or K.C.

*there's this great little restaurant called El Marmol there that railroaders I pick up in Emporia always want me to take them to before we head to their drop off. You can get a burrito the size of your fist for $6, or one the size of both for $7.50. And the hot sauce is actually spicy (like ghost peppers are boring spicy). The purple building at the corner of South Avenue and West street (no, I'm not making that up), you can't miss it.
Do they actually go by a client's fist size? I have pretty big hands... :P
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
AmriloJim wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote: It's also a baked goods brand. :)
Actually, as far north as Emporia*, Kansas. And possibly Topeka or K.C..
I can get Bimbo products in Kroger or Publix (and presumably Food Lion and Ingles) here in Gainesville GA.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:
AmriloJim wrote: Yup, available as far north as Amarillo. Distributed here by the Mrs. Bairds folks.
Actually, as far north as Emporia*, Kansas. And possibly Topeka or K.C..
I can get Bimbo products in Kroger or Publix (and presumably Food Lion and Ingles) here in Gainesville GA.
I got y'all beat: I've seen Bimbo products in non-ethnic grocery stores in Chicago, IL.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

GlytchMeister wrote:I got y'all beat: I've seen Bimbo products in non-ethnic grocery stores in Chicago, IL.
Nice to see someone in your area who knows the proper usage of "y'all".
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AmriloJim wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:I got y'all beat: I've seen Bimbo products in non-ethnic grocery stores in Chicago, IL.
Heh... I spent one of my formative years in Tenessee, and I had family in Florida and Georgia. I also spent a lot of my formative years here in Central Illinois. It can get pretty... country 'round here. :)
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

AmriloJim wrote:
it can't be all that difficult... all it is is a contraction of the words "you" and "all"... I'm from Michigan, and i use it all the time... heck, when i reported for duty up here in Washington State, a friend and i went to the nearby mall... He was from Texas, but they thought that "I" had more of a "southern" accent than him!!, WTH??!, that's just one of the MANY times that people have mistaken me for a southerner... but i don't think anyone in my family* for the last three generations has ever gone south of the Mason-Dixon line except to go to Disney World... so where the heck did i pick up a "southern drawl"?

* except for one cousin that i barely know, and have seen over time, MAYBE a day or two of TOTAL time, and two sisters that are about the same nowdays... and they had both moved out of the house when i was still in Jr. high. (I'm 46 now, so you can see what i mean...)
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Julie

Post by Julie »

scantrontb wrote:
AmriloJim wrote:
it can't be all that difficult... all it is is a contraction of the words "you" and "all"... I'm from Michigan, and i use it all the time... heck, when i reported for duty up here in Washington State, a friend and i went to the nearby mall... He was from Texas, but they thought that "I" had more of a "southern" accent than him!!, WTH??!, that's just one of the MANY times that people have mistaken me for a southerner... but i don't think anyone in my family* for the last three generations has ever gone south of the Mason-Dixon line except to go to Disney World... so where the heck did i pick up a "southern drawl"?

* except for one cousin that i barely know, and have seen over time, MAYBE a day or two of TOTAL time, and two sisters that are about the same nowdays... and they had both moved out of the house when i was still in Jr. high. (I'm 46 now, so you can see what i mean...)
Yeah...accents may be generally associated with certain areas, but it's not really reliable. Everyone tells me I sound like a Midwesterner based on my accent (except for certain phrasing and pronunciations that become more noticeable when I'm tired)...and I've lived in Texas my entire life.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote: Sorry about that. Totally know the feeling, too (108 by my last count).
It's OK. I only have myself to blame... I particularly enjoy story-driven comics, and I probably have several hundreds bookmarked (not counting gag-a-day comics as well). I organize the bookmarks by type (sci-fi, Anthro-Furry-Animals, Computer-tech, Fantasy, etc). giving you an accurate count is both too complicated and time-consuming to bother with... Some, I check regularly, some I check weekly, some I check when I'm bored. Some take so long for me to go back to, that I forget what the story was about and have to go back through the archives... :roll:

I obviously have a problem, so you did not put me up to bookmarking it: I did it all on my own... :mrgreen:
Let me guess, roughly half are ones you've found when the others you read go on hiatus for one reason or another.
What about the ones that update once every 3-6 months or so?
(heh - funny thing is, given the opportunity I'll check that comic 3+ times a week :P)
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

The use of regional dialects is fast disappearing across the world wherever television is present- 'the great homogenizer' has more effect on children's speech than their own parents.
Sad... but unavoidable
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
louisxiv

Post by louisxiv »

Sgt. Howard wrote:The use of regional dialects is fast disappearing across the world wherever television is present- 'the great homogenizer' has more effect on children's speech than their own parents.
Sad... but unavoidable
But on the other hand the big plus is that people from different regions have a better chance of understanding each other. Communication is good.

As I live in the opposite corner of the UK from where I grew up and learned to speak the Queen’s English, I find this trend to be helpful on top of the benefit of acclimatising to the sounds here for 40+ years. I understand the loss, mind you, but feel it is outweighed by the benefit.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Opus the Poet wrote:
The last count was last year and I had to replace my hardrive two years ago and lost pretty much all of my bookmarks.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

scantrontb wrote:
AmriloJim wrote:

Ah, but are they from one of the big cities (Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth)? Those folks tend to have a much more Neapolitan sort of accent. I'm from Kansas (grew up in Park City) and that answer often surprises people in other states. I've had Okies,Nebraskans, and Texans all say that I sound like a businessman from one of the coasts.

The staff of Screw Attack, who are all from Dallas, have the same sort of accent I do.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Grantwhy wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote: Let me guess, roughly half are ones you've found when the others you read go on hiatus for one reason or another.
What about the ones that update once every 3-6 months or so?
(heh - funny thing is, given the opportunity I'll check that comic 3+ times a week :P)
I've got a few of those, too. Plus a number on indefinite hiatus.