Nerds Like Us 2015-10-09

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DoctorOverlord

Re: Nerds Like Us 2015-10-09

Post by DoctorOverlord »

Now I have the Kill La Kill opening theme stuck in my head
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

You guys may be on to something here...

http://www.cosplaygals.com/yoko-littner-cosplay/
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DoctorOverlord wrote:Now I have the Kill La Kill opening theme stuck in my head
It is kind of catchy...
And in English...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

love me some kill la kill
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

"Well, it's a start" suggests we are going to see some more costumes, yes?

Am I a weird person for wanting to see Monica dressed as Sam and Jin dressed as Frodo?

:geek:
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Grantwhy wrote:"Well, it's a start" suggests we are going to see some more costumes, yes?

Am I a weird person for wanting to see Monica dressed as Sam and Jin dressed as Frodo?

Weird is relative
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:"Well, it's a start" suggests we are going to see some more costumes, yes?

Weird is relative
That may be so, but relatives are still family. No need to insult them... :P

*drops a genealogy tree into the pun vault, just in case*
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Jabberwonky wrote:
DoctorOverlord wrote:Now I have the Kill La Kill opening theme stuck in my head
It is kind of catchy...
And in English...
Ja, that actually happens quite a bit. Though, more often than not it will be a mix of Japanese and English. The end credits for the Dark Stalkers anime is a song called 'Trouble Man' and it's in English.

Hell, random English words are fashionable.
Image She's also seen one with "fuck" on it, but I couldn't find it in the archive.
The author and artist is an English language teacher in Japan. Here's the website http://www.marycagle.com/
Last edited by Gyrrakavian on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Ja, that actually happens quite a bit. Though, more often than not it will be a mix of Japanese and English. The end credits for the Dark Stalkers anime is a song called 'Troble Man' and it's in English.

Hell, random English words are fashionable.
http://www.marycagle.com/comics/1426746391-063.jpg
She's also seen one with "fuck" on it, but I couldn't find it in the archive.
The author and artist is an English language teacher in Japan. Here's the website http://www.marycagle.com/
Gaah! You have just sent me on an archive binge on a cute comic! Like I didn't have enough comics bookmarked, already! (Several hundreds, easily... I'm not current on most, though... I just continue reading archives from wherever I left off the last time, usually...)

And I happened to find the comic you were referring to:

Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Grrakavian wrote:Hell, random English words are fashionable.
Not trying to sound hipster, but I had a coupe of friends dealing Japanese model kits back in the early '80s. There were many amusing 'Engrish' mottoes on the boxes to the point of entire paragraphs of random letters.
My favorite was a series of small models of the Valkyries from Macross that had a suction cup on the back to stick them to windows or mirrors. The description on the box claimed they were "For sucker play and something!"

Oh, and there's always Engrish.com...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote: She's also seen one with "fuck" on it, but I couldn't find it in the archive.
Gaah! You have just sent me on an archive binge on a cute comic! Like I didn't have enough comics bookmarked, already! (Several hundreds, easily... I'm not current on most, though... I just continue reading archives from wherever I left off the last time, usually...)

Sorry about that. Totally know the feeling, too (108 by my last count).
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Grrakavian wrote:Hell, random English words are fashionable.
Not trying to sound hipster, but I had a coupe of friends dealing Japanese model kits back in the early '80s. There were many amusing 'Engrish' mottoes on the boxes to the point of entire paragraphs of random letters.
My favorite was a series of small models of the Valkyries from Macross that had a suction cup on the back to stick them to windows or mirrors. The description on the box claimed they were "For sucker play and something!"

Oh, and there's always Engrish.com...
Not hister at all.

It still happens, too.

Is there a separate term for Chinese products with bastardized English?
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Is there a separate term for Chinese products with bastardized English?
I believe it shares a name with sailing vessels from the Song Dynasty.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

AmriloJim wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Is there a separate term for Chinese products with bastardized English?
Were you aware that "shoddy" was originally a term connoting high quality?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Pretty sure there was an expose in Mad when I was a kid that translated the ideograms on Chinese restaurant chopsticks as "Hope you enjoy the dogmeat, Yankee!"

That's slanderous, of course. Though I'll admit I've threatened cats with Korean restaurant menus.

**Please don't hit me, Inky!** :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote: She's also seen one with "fuck" on it, but I couldn't find it in the archive.

http://www.marycagle.com/comics/1414414999-01.jpg
Sorry about that. Totally know the feeling, too (108 by my last count).
It's OK. I only have myself to blame... I particularly enjoy story-driven comics, and I probably have several hundreds bookmarked (not counting gag-a-day comics as well). I organize the bookmarks by type (sci-fi, Anthro-Furry-Animals, Computer-tech, Fantasy, etc). giving you an accurate count is both too complicated and time-consuming to bother with... Some, I check regularly, some I check weekly, some I check when I'm bored. Some take so long for me to go back to, that I forget what the story was about and have to go back through the archives... :roll:

I obviously have a problem, so you did not put me up to bookmarking it: I did it all on my own... :mrgreen:
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote: Sorry about that. Totally know the feeling, too (108 by my last count).
It's OK. I only have myself to blame... I particularly enjoy story-driven comics, and I probably have several hundreds bookmarked (not counting gag-a-day comics as well). I organize the bookmarks by type (sci-fi, Anthro-Furry-Animals, Computer-tech, Fantasy, etc). giving you an accurate count is both too complicated and time-consuming to bother with... Some, I check regularly, some I check weekly, some I check when I'm bored. Some take so long for me to go back to, that I forget what the story was about and have to go back through the archives... :roll:

I obviously have a problem, so you did not put me up to bookmarking it: I did it all on my own... :mrgreen:
Let me guess, roughly half are ones you've found when the others you read go on hiatus for one reason or another.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
AmriloJim wrote:
Were you aware that "shoddy" was originally a term connoting high quality?
Heh. No I didn't. I wonder what happened.

Bimbo used to mean a tough guy. There's got to be a word for words that sort of thing has happened to.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Were you aware that "shoddy" was originally a term connoting high quality?
Heh. No I didn't. I wonder what happened.

Bimbo used to mean a tough guy. There's got to be a word for words that sort of thing has happened to.
I got it wrong from memory - not high quality, as such, but rather possibly the first example of commercial recycling, making new wool yarn from rags.

Actually, the term i was probably actually thinking of was "brummagem" (one you don't hear so often, though common in US and Australian usage into the mid-20th Century, which derived from the city name "Birmingham" in England, and originally denoted high-quality jewelry made in that city, later came to mean cheap, trumpery, inferior.

============

Another interesting etymology is "denim blue jeans":
Wikipedia wrote:The name "denim" derives from French serge de Nîmes, meaning "serge from Nîmes".

Denim was traditionally colored blue with indigo dye to make blue jeans, although "jean" formerly denoted a different, lighter, cotton fabric. The contemporary use of the word "jeans" comes from the French word for Genoa, Italy (Gênes), where the first denim trousers were made
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Bimbo used to mean a tough guy.
It's also a baked goods brand. :)
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!