Nerds Like Us 2015-10-09

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
GlytchMeister

Re: Nerds Like Us 2015-10-09

Post by GlytchMeister »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Okay, I knew there was going to be fan service as soon as “cosplay" came up, but DA-UM.
I believe it is spelled:

Ja, wasn't sure and I've got too many pronunciation keys in my brain to choose from.
I prefer this one.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
tombone

Post by tombone »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Okay, I knew there was going to be fan service as soon as “cosplay" came up, but DA-UM.
I believe it is spelled:

Ja, wasn't sure and I've got too many pronunciation keys in my brain to choose from.

At least Jin is of an appropriate age to wear that outfit.
Isn't Ryuko 16 instead of the usual 14 for the over sexualized anime minor? Seriously, Japan, 14 is too young for a lehal ahe of consent.

The letter “j" is severely abused when I'm really tired. Pulling extra duty for h, y, zh, and sometimes sh and th (the last one being due to its use in Cherokee).

Actually, Ryuko is 17. Yoko (who Monica is cosplaying) on the other hand, is the 14-year-old.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I've been outta anime for too long. I did not have the slightest idea who Jin and M were dressed up as, and for a guy who used to sell the stuff back in the '90s, that's bad.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Leak wrote:Image
Okay, that's either Stjepan or Linda Sejic's work. Not 100% on the title, though.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Leak

Post by Leak »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
Okay, that's either Stjepan or Linda Sejic's work. Not 100% on the title, though.
The former - he's always using that image macro on his twitter feed... :)
Ginkage

Post by Ginkage »

Leak wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:
The former - he's always using that image macro on his twitter feed... :)
And that particular character is Ally from Sunstone. :) <3
Snarky McSnarkypants of Greater Snarkville who is Snarkmaster General for the US Snark Office.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

tombone wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote: I believe it is spelled:

At least Jin is of an appropriate age to wear that outfit.
Isn't Ryuko 16 instead of the usual 14 for the over sexualized anime minor? Seriously, Japan, 14 is too young for a lehal ahe of consent.

The letter “j" is severely abused when I'm really tired. Pulling extra duty for h, y, zh, and sometimes sh and th (the last one being due to its use in Cherokee).

Actually, Ryuko is 17. Yoko (who Monica is cosplaying) on the other hand, is the 14-year-old.
Well, at least the nipple suspenders are on the character they consider to be a legal adult. Gurren Lagen does have a time skip, though. So we get to see an adult Yoko Litner in her 20s.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:Yes, but Monica and Jin themselves don't quite count...
I meant four Wapsi characters, thus explaining how quickly and well the costumes were produced.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Bud_Fanboi

Post by Bud_Fanboi »

I think she'd be able to pull off Yoko well... The good mix of cool, aloof, but that streak of, "don't piss me off" Image
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Bud_Fanboi wrote:I think she'd be able to pull off Yoko well... The good mix of cool, aloof, but that streak of, "don't piss me off" Image
Dear lord...what is she dropping into the breech of that rifle?
:o
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Armorlord

Post by Armorlord »

Jabberwonky wrote:Dear lord...what is she dropping into the breech of that rifle?
:o
Don't panic, my understanding is that the weapon is some sort of superscience widget that launches anything placed into it and is built to resemble a weapon from distant past, the Barrett M82. Handy for survival situations, like the blasted world she came up in, as well as for shooting people with gum if need be.
"Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience." -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
eee

Post by eee »

Opus the Poet wrote:I've been outta anime for too long. I did not have the slightest idea who Jin and M were dressed up as, and for a guy who used to sell the stuff back in the '90s, that's bad.
I used to know almost all Marvel and DC's characters back when I was a comic book collector, their histories, relations, etc. Now I look at the comics scene and I go "What, did Shooter or someone start a whole different Universe again?"
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Jin is very proud of her bewbs. And with good reason.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Atomic wrote:Jin is very proud of her bewbs. And with good reason.
Better living through Lanthian super-science?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

scantrontb wrote:
Julie wrote:Wow... :shock: Impressive for a first attempt at cosplay. :D
sure it's the first time they are using the definition of "COSPLAY"... but they do this every year otherwise, so it's NOT their "First" time doing COSTUMES, remember Monica with her Pirate, and Hunter Van Pelt outfits, and Little Bo Jin?... no, they are very well versed (and funded, too) in the arts of costuming, and cosplay.
Well...you have a good point. :) I guess I just felt like the other costumes could be written off as "easier" because they weren't trying to be super-specific matches to anime characters...which could have been an unfair assumption. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Julie

Post by Julie »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
I meant four Wapsi characters, thus explaining how quickly and well the costumes were produced.
*blinkblink* What am I missing?
"Just open your eyes
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Julie wrote:
sorry i am missing it to, i only see two? ok ok i only saw one the first three times but i found Monica on the third read of that last panel.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Julie wrote:
Monica and Jin both have enough money that they can afford to hire some kids who need a little pocket money to help out with their cosplay.

===================

How many characters are in this picture?
giggle.jpg
giggle.jpg (71.41 KiB) Viewed 18782 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Julie wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:I meant four Wapsi characters, thus explaining how quickly and well the costumes were produced.
Monica and Jin both have enough money that they can afford to hire some kids who need a little pocket money to help out with their cosplay.

===================

How many characters are in this picture?
giggle.jpg
LOL!! Well, that would give a lot more oomph to Jin's costume. I haven't watched much of Kill la Kill, but the costume can talk, right? :D Jin's actually could if she hired one of the bear twins.
"Just open your eyes
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Julie wrote:LOL!! Well, that would give a lot more oomph to Jin's costume. I haven't watched much of Kill la Kill, but the costume can talk, right? :D Jin's actually could if she hired one of the bear twins.
i am liking this idea more and more.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long