Surpise 2015-09-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Re: Surpise 2015-09-11

Post by Wapsi »

jwhouk wrote:On closer inspection,that is a hot water heater, covered by a thermal blanket, in the background of the first two frames.
Yep. That's the boiler room in the old apartment building I used to manage.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Wapsi wrote:
jwhouk wrote:On closer inspection,that is a hot water heater, covered by a thermal blanket, in the background of the first two frames.
Sad reality of life in the upper Midwest. If it's not insulated it could freeze.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Wait. Since when did the elemental have a name? I don't recall her ever being introduced as such. But then again I did just wake up.
She said she's the closest thing to a "conscience" that exists.

Hence, "Connie".
Correct-a-mundo. The fan community started using "Conscience" (and hence "Connie") soon after the character formally introduced herself to Shelly.

And, her full name "Conscience" has been canon for some time - if Shelly said it, it must be acceptable!

I can't recall that anyone in the strip has referred to her by the nickname "Connie". I suppose nobody really knows her well enough to be that informal... but we folks out here in the peanut gallery aren't quite so polite :)

On the other hand... I just realized why Paul once drew her as he did:

All the gold sparkly accents around her make it clear: she's a gilt-y Conscience.

(Drops a pinch of gold dust into the Pun Jar).
Wapsi wrote:Yep. That's the boiler room in the old apartment building I used to manage.
A slice of "real life", in with the "slice of paranormal life" in Minneapolis St. Paul. Those little touches do add a nice flavor! :D
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

jwhouk wrote:
Wapsi wrote:
Sad reality of life in the upper Midwest. If it's not insulated it could freeze.
Yet another reminder why i left that delightful area when i got out of the service. You dont have to worry about such things in the sunny south.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Out here is 'sunny' California the rule is 'Wrap em and Strap em';
a blanket to help keep the heat in (more efficient) and a strap to anchor it to the wall against the next 'Big One'.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Connie's outfit seems to change with mood/situation.

Pretty much always a longish shift, ut sometimes immaculate, sometimes dirty and ratty.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

DilyV wrote:Damn Shelly good one!!! I'm still laughing!!!
I wonder if Shell is getting ready to hit up Connie to work with Jordan's inner cretin?
I'm wondering if Connie is moonlighting as Devyn's magic world's creepy little girl as well? Maybe she's just coming home from her other job.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

KnightDelight wrote:
I wonder if Shell is getting ready to hit up Connie to work with Jordan's inner cretin?
I'm wondering if Connie is moonlighting as Devyn's magic world's creepy little girl as well? Maybe she's just coming home from her other job.
That was my first thought.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:
That was my first thought.
No, no, no; there's a standard configuration for creepy little girls -- it's in the union rules.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

jwhouk wrote:
Dave wrote:
Thanks. I wondered what that overly-burly construction worker in a long T-shirt was doing in the Boiler Room. Seemed like an odd way to introduced a new (and possibly damned) character to the strip.
I only recognized it because I had one in the basement of our condo.
um... you only recognized it as a basement because you had an "overly-burly construction worker" in YOUR basement TOO?!?! how common of a feature are these "construction-workers-hiding-out-in-basements" where you're from?... :shock:

i can't say that I've met too many people (read: none) that have that as a feature in their house... i mean can you imagine the Realtor giving a tour to a prospective buyer? "Yes, you'll notice that along with the thermal blanket over the hot water heater for winterizing, there is even your own construction worker installed in the basement. Perfect for those quick little remodeling projects... and now as the back yard goes, it's a bit.... (the voices trail off due to the group going back upstairs) :D :lol:
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

ChattaStarhawk wrote: No, no, no; there's a standard configuration for creepy little girls -- it's in the union rules.
Jin's CLG was of identical construction http://wapsisquare.com/comic/little-girl/ and turned out to be Bia (or memory of a dream thereof)
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Septuagenarian

Post by Septuagenarian »

Shelly's hair made me think it was Nadette. Last appearance a while back she didn't have the fringe at the back. :?
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Me, too. Shelly's been out of scene for so long, I didn't make the connection.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Since Connie is more or less linked to Shelly, I don't think she's able to moonlight as someone else's demon. But, I do wonder if she is able to be more corporeal and be seen by one and all. If so, maybe she can show up at school as Shelly's relative "Constance Wahnee". And if anyone makes fun if the rhyming "Connie Wahnee", she gets to bop them on the noggin.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

The arc where Shelly touches the Viamana (spelling?) Cell from the U-Boat shows Connie being visible to everyone present. And then when she beat the crap outta Bia.

My doubts about Connie becoming a student to the Para School is whether she can manifest independently of Shelly... As in, can she be at the school while Shelly is off somewhere else? Or does Shelly have to be nearby?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I don't think "Connie" needs to be at school. I mean, she's several thousands of years old.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

jwhouk wrote:I don't think "Connie" needs to be at school. I mean, she's several thousands of years old.
She could be a teacher, or maybe a teacher's aide. Either way she'd be a para-educator.

*drops gold plated apple in pun jar*

Sorry, not sorry.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

The one thing about this particular strip that got me wondering was, what the heck was Connie up to when Shelly startled her by suddenly appearing.
It appeared that she was trying to sneak up on someone/something and was not expecting to see Shelly, which begs the question; what was she expecting?
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

meisdadoo wrote:The one thing about this particular strip that got me wondering was, what the heck was Connie up to when Shelly startled her by suddenly appearing.
It appeared that she was trying to sneak up on someone/something and was not expecting to see Shelly, which begs the question; what was she expecting?
Hopefully she WAS expecting Ninjas and NOT expecting The Inquisition...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac