Daybreak 2012-08-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
NOTDilbert

Re: Daybreak 2012-08-28

Post by NOTDilbert »

Wdot wrote: I think or maybe hope that it will be more of A Boy Named Sue kind of thing. Either way, Bia personification of Force, feels like she did the right and necessary thing. Because she is a Titan, she did the right thing because might makes right and "Hello, personification of Force here." http://wapsisquare.com/comic/consequenc ... nipotence/ ;) I agree it's gonna be a good ride either way. Because Bia could be an awesome bad guy like the Aries in the Hercules series.
Also noticed something in the comic in the above link. Bia tells Shelly "You are the offspring of a Titan." NOT descendant. NOT grandchild. Offspring - "....a new organism produced by one or more PARENTS." - Wikipedia

Yep, Nudge nailed it. Cover blown, Bia.
Last edited by NOTDilbert on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, and therefore am no beast.
William Shakespeare, Richard III
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:
Mark N wrote:
Wdot wrote:. Because Bia could be an awesome bad guy like the Aries in the Hercules series.
The only thing that makes me doubt Bia as a bad guy is Paul seems to favor not having a real bad guy in the strip. Remember Monica noticed that the only bad guys were the ones that they brought themselves. (Sorry can't find the strip)
Could it be that Bia was misrepresented by the Greeks? Perhaps, instead of being simply the personification of Force, she's actually Forceful Well-Intentioned Ineptness? ;)
I've noticed, that much like 'real life' there are no bad guys in the Wapsiverse. Just folks with different agendas.
Mayahuel's Calendar Machine was built to help her daughter overcome a psychological imbalance, but ended up throwing the planet into a series of time loops that didn't help anyone. Is May a bad person?
So is what Bia is scheming a bad thing? Probably not, she's trying to set the 'powers' in balance. Is her manipulation of people and events to reach this goal bad? Maybe in the perspective of those involved.
Her methods are coarse and unsympathetic, but her goal is for the greater good.
So who's the bad guy here?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Jabberwonky wrote:I've noticed, that much like 'real life' there are no bad guys in the Wapsiverse. Just folks with different agendas.
Mayahuel's Calendar Machine was built to help her daughter overcome a psychological imbalance, but ended up throwing the planet into a series of time loops that didn't help anyone. Is May a bad person?
So is what Bia is scheming a bad thing? Probably not, she's trying to set the 'powers' in balance. Is her manipulation of people and events to reach this goal bad? Maybe in the perspective of those involved.
Ah the real bad guy is perception :twisted:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Jabberwonky wrote:I think the Library moved Phix to the staff break room.
The sign on the inside of the door reads:

"No Food or Drink
in the Stacks, Please."
Thank You, Mgmt.
But, what if the food wasn't food when she (the Apo-tizer) entered the stacks? I believe we have a gray area here.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:

"No Food or Drink
in the Stacks, Please."
Thank You, Mgmt.
But, what if the food wasn't food when she (the Apo-tizer) entered the stacks? I believe we have a gray area here.
APO-tizer...Hah! :lol:
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:But, what if the food wasn't food when she (the Apo-tizer) entered the stacks? I believe we have a gray area here.
Welcome to the Punvault said the punjar to the Bathory's Daughter. (A good one by the way :lol: )
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

Dave wrote:
starkruzr wrote:What does "apo" stand for again? And how/why is Phix not one? Or is she?

EDIT: And help me figure out how Shelly, Bia and Phix are ACTUALLY related? Are they not?
"Apo" is short for "apotropaic sphinx", and "apotropaic" means "a ward sgainst evil". In Egyptian and Indian mythology, sphinxes were often portrayed as guardians against evil, protecting temples or other ritual sites. In the Wapsi universe, the apotropaic sphinxes defended humans against the demons... in part, by killing any human they determined to have been taken over by demons. Phix rejected the "kill them to save them" philosophy, which is why she is often referred to here as being distinct from the apos.

Relationships: at this point, it appears that Shelly is Phix's grand-daughter, by way of Phix's half-human son.

Bia at first claimed that she's one of Shelly's ancestors (great grandmother) but not her mother. However, Nudge specifically "admired" Bia by saying that she's not just an ancestor but is in fact Shelly's mother (having "become" her father's childhood friend and then marrying him) and Bia did not deny this.

So, at the moment, information suggests that Shelly is one-quarter sphinx (via Phix), one-quarter human (via whatever man Phix had an affair with) and one-half titan (direct from Bia).

Some or all of this could be wrong, of course.
This helps!

So the one that Phix killed... he was also an apo? Or not? His voice "looked" weird and he had a goat head (sort of). And was the implication there, what he was saying, was that essentially a threat to rape?
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

starkruzr wrote:
So the one that Phix killed... he was also an apo? Or not? His voice "looked" weird and he had a goat head (sort of). And was the implication there, what he was saying, was that essentially a threat to rape?
Acctually, the Apo that was killed (dubbed Lil Ms S'plodyhead) was female and of a different breed of Sphinx than Phix. Lil Ms S'plodyhead was not threatening rape but rubbing it in Phix's face that Bia essentially screwed her over (convinced her that she needed to stay out of her sons life and have him raised on Earth) and was suggesting that she brought it on herself by being weak. But easy mistake.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Mark N wrote:
starkruzr wrote:
Acctually, the Apo that was killed (dubbed Lil Ms S'plodyhead) was female and of a different breed of Sphinx than Phix. Lil Ms S'plodyhead was not threatening rape but rubbing it in Phix's face that Bia essentially screwed her over (convinced her that she needed to stay out of her sons life and have him raised on Earth) and was suggesting that she brought it on herself by being weak. But easy mistake.
Now that we know there are male and female Apo-Sphinxes in the Wapsi world, it could be the Apos are the base species of sphinx. With both sexes, they could propagate their species without human interbreeding. Sphinxes like Phix may be the result of human and Apo breeding. If so, she would be genetically related to the Apos. One assumes the Apo in question could morph into a human looking being as needed since having sex with a goat-headed being would not be a pleasant experience. Well, maybe for one of those idiot women who would be thrilled to mate with Satan since that's pretty much who a male Apo would look like to humans.

It could also be that Phix's step up in rank by killing the Apo might mean a step up in rank within her overall Apo family, as opposed to a step up in the world of the library and it's hierarchy. We don't know anything of her family and it's dynamics. All this leads me to the thought that Phix may have also been taken from half of her heritage by being raised exclusively in the company of sphinxes. Similar to her son being raised exclusively in the world of humans.

Of course all this is pure speculation based on even more speculation, meaning it's probably totally and embarrassingly wrong.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:

"No Food or Drink
in the Stacks, Please."
Thank You, Mgmt.

It might have been a gray area when Phix started, but it's all red over there now. . . .

And it wasn't a staff breaking--it was a cervical spine, followed by assorted ribs and suchlike.

Ok, ok, I'll drop a mobile teleportation device into the punjar. Sheesh! That think can be sooooo pesky.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Jabberwonky wrote:So is what Bia is scheming a bad thing? Probably not, she's trying to set the 'powers' in balance. Is her manipulation of people and events to reach this goal bad? Maybe in the perspective of those involved.
this "balancing the powers" reminds me of the Star Wars line about Anikin being the "chosen one" who could "bring balance to the Force"... as said by a "good" Jedi, that has been brought up believing that they had EXTERMINATED the Sith Lords OVER A THOUSAND YEARS EARLIER... What the Heck did they THINK was gonna happen?? he DID balance the Force, he brought about so much evil that it "balanced out" a millennium long "good" streak...

i seem to think that something similar is gonna happen here as well. Bia thinks she's doing one thing, in my opinion, i think she's trying to "bring the balance" back, by getting the TITANS back in control of things, not the Mortals that have been running things for the last few thousand years (or 80K+ total Loop-time however you want to look at it) but the reality of the REST of the universe's plans, means that it ain't gonna happen the way she WANTS it to, if at all... I'm thinking here more along the lines of the book "Good Omens" and the last few pages with the Angel and the Demon characters (can't remember their names... Crowley and ??)talking about how they think it's gonna end up at the Apocalypse, with the Mortals versus the Angels AND Demons at the end of things (following God's INEFFABLE PLAN :) ) rather than the mortals fighting each other as the combatants in an Angel VS Demon fight (like they THOUGHT they were fighting...)
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

bmonk wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:

"No Food or Drink
in the Stacks, Please."
Thank You, Mgmt.

It might have been a gray area when Phix started, but it's all red over there now. . . .

And it wasn't a staff breaking--it was a cervical spine, followed by assorted ribs and suchlike.

Ok, ok, I'll drop a mobile teleportation device into the punjar. Sheesh! That think can be sooooo pesky.
It's not the pesky that bothers me, it's the sense of being stared at, menacingly...
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Jabberwonky wrote: I've noticed, that much like 'real life' there are no bad guys in the Wapsiverse. Just folks with different agendas.
Well, I probably misstyped when I wrote "bad guy". First of all Bia is definitely female and not a "guy." Second of all, I was thinking more in the line of opponent, the player you are against as in a game of chess. But when 'gods' and 'titans' play they play with mortals not chessmen. I never really thought of Aries as 'bad' per say in the old Hercules series. Just Hercs opponent a god with a different agenda. Bia is coming off as unlikeable. But she could very well just be Phixated on a problem that is so dire as to make everything else redundant (even feelings) by comparison.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Hanineal

Post by Hanineal »

Phix doesn't wear pince-nez.

On the page where she takes out the Apo, you can see the temple pieces of her glasses quite clearly.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/so-weak/
What happens in the lab needs to stay in the lab... because it's such a bloody drag to have to rebuild civilization all over again.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Hanineal wrote:Phix doesn't wear pince-nez.

On the page where she takes out the Apo, you can see the temple pieces of her glasses quite clearly.

So Miss S'plodey Head never had a chance...even if she'd won the fight with Phix, she'd have been in trouble for the destruction of a temple...

(sacrifices two pair of Pince-Nez on the Atlar of Pun-ishmnent) :(
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jabberwonky wrote:

So Miss S'plodey Head never had a chance...even if she'd won the fight with Phix, she'd have been in trouble for the destruction of a temple...
So, you're saying Phix was entirely framed?

(drop's a Macgonnagal's monacle into the Pun Jar)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:

So, you're saying Phix was entirely framed?

(drop's a Macgonnagal's monacle into the Pun Jar)
Only half-framed...she still has some wiggle room to escape this spectacle...

(drags a small gravity lens generator to the vault)
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Jabberwonky wrote:
It's not the pesky that bothers me, it's the sense of being stared at, menacingly...
Then you've never let the cat's food dish accidently become empty......
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Then you've never let the cat's food dish accidently become empty......
My cat, a grey striped tabby named Rudy, would show his displeasure by sitting in front of you, deliberatly turning his back on you and meticulously clean himself until you got up to fix that problem...