Daybreak 2012-08-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
chibichibi01

Re: Daybreak 2012-08-28

Post by chibichibi01 »

jwhouk wrote:A little note: Bia specifically said "No" when Shelly said, "mommy?" in this strip.

Bia isn't her mother. She's her maternal grandmother.
But Nudge said she was Shelly's mom here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/for-petesake/ And Bia didn't deny it, she tried to hide it in the next strip.
ImageImage
Julie

Post by Julie »

Yamara wrote:As in, she may no longer be worthy of any of them, and they are gone.
Phix said in that strip that is any outsider who acted with aggression would have the books turn to dust in their hands. Phix, by virtue of being one of the Librarians, would not likely be described as an outsider. Besides, there was aggression in the Library before she killed and ate Mis 'Splodey Head, and the books didn't disappear around her...not even after the killing and eating started...

I think that may well be the most links I've ever included in a single post. :P I like that I can do that in these forums without having to wait for a comment to be approved. :D
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

chibichibi01 wrote:But Nudge said she was Shelly's mom here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/for-petesake/ And Bia didn't deny it, she tried to hide it in the next strip.
That is my take as well. Bia lied, probably because if Shelly knew the truth at that moment she might have lost her forever. A parent faking their death in front of you and hiding that for over a decade will create one hell of a case of distrust, an we are talking about Shelly here.

As for the books, the library might have moved them so they would not get damaged. I would think the Library was capable of self restructuring as well as self repair, not to mention that it seems to be a sentient entity capable of thinking about things like that.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:Phix said in that strip that is any outsider who acted with aggression would have the books turn to dust in their hands
And, in every case we've been shown, the books were actually being touched at the time they paffed into dust. IIRC, it happened once when Shelly aggressively tried to pull a book away from Monica, and it happened again when Monica was expressing great frustration.

If both direct physical contact, and a state of harsh emotional arousal (aggression or frustration) are required, then the books would not necessarily have reacted during the Great Bia Punch-out and Sphinx Feed. Neither Shelly nor Phix (nor anyone else) was shown touching any of the books.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Julie wrote:
Yamara wrote:As in, she may no longer be worthy of any of them, and they are gone.
Phix said in that strip that is any outsider who acted with aggression would have the books turn to dust in their hands. Phix, by virtue of being one of the Librarians, would not likely be described as an outsider. Besides, there was aggression in the Library before she killed and ate Mis 'Splodey Head, and the books didn't disappear around her...not even after the killing and eating started...
My comment was speculation in response to liquidschwartz saying that Phix would be punished. We havent seen any books where Phix is yet. Being the librarian of an empty Library would be commensurate with Nudge being held there with all the knowledge and no one to trick. But it's just a guess. For all I know Lamia is standing behind her patiently waiting to ask where she can locate Fifty Shades of Grey.

My thinking was that Phix wasn't an outsider when she started this bender, but... books of the Library can be hidden, and new positions of service to the Library can be created and earned. And presumably lost.

Julie wrote:I think that may well be the most links I've ever included in a single post. :P I like that I can do that in these forums without having to wait for a comment to be approved. :D
It is awfully fun!
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Mark N wrote:As for the books, the library might have moved them so they would not get damaged. I would think the Library was capable of self restructuring as well as self repair, not to mention that it seems to be a sentient entity capable of thinking about things like that.
Remember this scene? http://wapsisquare.com/comic/parameters/

I think it can be taken as given that the library routinely restructures itself to the needs of the patrons.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Her only regrets are likely to be the way she lost-control-of-bodily-function-FREAKED-out Monica... turned INTO a savage beast? She has never been anything else, in spite of her civilized veneer. You notice the Gorgon is taking it all in stride? As is Nudge? Phix will do a proper grooming and go back to looking for overdue books and arrainging shelves. That Nanny that became dinner is a critter that has been begging for trouble for some time- Phix's reaction to her tells that there is more than a bit of history here, and she settled in in a way that is universally understood.
Do I eat my advisaries? No. Do I kill with one swipe? No. Have I turned the tables on somebody in a way that made several people blow lunch/bowel/bladder even though they were not directly involved? Yes- on more than a few occasions.
Am I a savage beast?... THAT depends on who you ask, and those who belive me to be such I tend to ignore. Phix is likely very similar...
the Old Sgt.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
as363

Post by as363 »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Her only regrets are likely to be the way she lost-control-of-bodily-function-FREAKED-out Monica... turned INTO a savage beast? She has never been anything else, in spite of her civilized veneer. You notice the Gorgon is taking it all in stride? As is Nudge? Phix will do a proper grooming and go back to looking for overdue books and arrainging shelves. That Nanny that became dinner is a critter that has been begging for trouble for some time- Phix's reaction to her tells that there is more than a bit of history here, and she settled in in a way that is universally understood.
Do I eat my advisaries? No. Do I kill with one swipe? No. Have I turned the tables on somebody in a way that made several people blow lunch/bowel/bladder even though they were not directly involved? Yes- on more than a few occasions.
Am I a savage beast?... THAT depends on who you ask, and those who belive me to be such I tend to ignore. Phix is likely very similar...
the Old Sgt.

I would think the rank might be more like Mst. Gunnery Sgt. (Gunny for those that follow NCIS) . In the field the Captain will always listen to Gunny..
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I was bumping around in the archives and ran into this gem.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/no-teasing/

Boy, was Brandi ever right. No teasing the Sphinxes.

EVER!!!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

My2Cents wrote:
Mark N wrote:As for the books, the library might have moved them so they would not get damaged. I would think the Library was capable of self restructuring as well as self repair, not to mention that it seems to be a sentient entity capable of thinking about things like that.
Remember this scene? http://wapsisquare.com/comic/parameters/

I think it can be taken as given that the library routinely restructures itself to the needs of the patrons.
I think the Library moved Phix to the staff break room.
The sign on the inside of the door reads:

"No Food or Drink
in the Stacks, Please."
Thank You, Mgmt.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Am I a savage beast?... THAT depends on who you ask, and those who belive me to be such I tend to ignore. Phix is likely very similar...
the Old Sgt.
We're all savage beasts underneath, including women. Don't think so, try harming a woman's child in her presence (or reach for that last piece of chocolate).

I wonder, in all those years in the time forest did Shelly do things just as bloody and savage? She wasn't "Shelly" as such when she met the first Shelly-1. At one point she was really savage with her, cowering her while she yelled at her, scaring Shelly-1 greatly. She no doubt toughened up quite a bit while there. It seems every time she turns into a sphinx she tends to change her attitude from a kind person to a no-nonsense sphinx. It's more than just a physical transformation. It could be Shelly can be quite understanding of what Phix did. Might even be some bonding between them over it (as they snack on leftovers). Oh the inappropriate comments that are flowing into my mind right now. Best to keep them to myself.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

I can't help but think of the old quote. He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:We're all savage beasts underneath, including women. Don't think so, try harming a woman's child in her presence (or reach for that last piece of chocolate).

I wonder, in all those years in the time forest did Shelly do things just as bloody and savage? She wasn't "Shelly" as such when she met the first Shelly-1. At one point she was really savage with her, cowering her while she yelled at her, scaring Shelly-1 greatly. She no doubt toughened up quite a bit while there. It seems every time she turns into a sphinx she tends to change her attitude from a kind person to a no-nonsense sphinx. It's more than just a physical transformation. It could be Shelly can be quite understanding of what Phix did. Might even be some bonding between them over it (as they snack on leftovers). Oh the inappropriate comments that are flowing into my mind right now. Best to keep them to myself.
I so agree with you there about harming a woman's child. Even playing mind games with one that has, for all intent and purposes, lost her child (Lil Miss S'plodyheads error) is a major boo boo.
As far as Shelly's change in personality while in Sphinx form, that may be something like a hormonal shift altering her personality. Think of a person getting hormone replacement therapies. One of the side effects is the possibility of increased aggression.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Mark N wrote:From her conversations with Charon (The ferryman of the river Styx) and what she said to everyone, i think her reason for making a new Titan was a reaction to the prophesy so it would involve saving the world. If not she just wanted a child that would not die on her. So one way we can find her admirable in in intolerable way and on the other we can think of her as a selfish, self serving B**CH. Either way this ride is gonna be fun.
I think or maybe hope that it will be more of A Boy Named Sue kind of thing. Either way, Bia personification of Force, feels like she did the right and necessary thing. Because she is a Titan, she did the right thing because might makes right and "Hello, personification of Force here." http://wapsisquare.com/comic/consequenc ... nipotence/ ;) I agree it's gonna be a good ride either way. Because Bia could be an awesome bad guy like the Aries in the Hercules series.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Yamara wrote:
sonicthunder wrote:I wonder how this pair of Phix's glasses stays on her head. There appear to be no arms to rest over her ears or another feature like most glasses. I doubt she would use anything like sock-glue so close to the face. Did the arms just break loose during the feeding frenzy? Or is Phix such an expert monocle wearer, she can rock two at the same time?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pince-nez
That could explain the 'markings' under her eyes. They'd have to be fastened on mighty tight after all given the speed and nature Phix moves, even when calm.

Granted, those nose-pads don't look typical of most Prince Nez glasses I've seen. But we can just blame that on "It's immortal technology. It doesn't have to make sense. We used a washing machine to reset time, for crying in the mud?".
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

"I would think the rank might be more like Mst. Gunnery Sgt. (Gunny for those that follow NCIS) . In the field the Captain will always listen to Gunny.."

... actually, never more than an E-5 ARMY Sgt.- assigned to medical corps at that... always a REMF, never went overseas... but there WAS some interesting training that NEVER made it to my 201 file. I was NOT a SPEC 5, I was a SGT.- command rank...
And yes- the Brass tended to listen to me... but were too afraid to promote me... can't imagen why...
the Old Sgt.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
ShadOBabe

Post by ShadOBabe »

jwhouk wrote:A little note: Bia specifically said "No" when Shelly said, "mommy?" in this strip.

Bia isn't her mother. She's her maternal grandmother.
But then later, like Dave pointed out, Nudge called Bia out on becoming childhood friends with Shelly's dad and marrying him, and straight up says that Bia is Shelly's mom. Bia does not deny this. Then she faked her death.

EDIT: CRAP, I'm sorry. Was already beaten to that correction. Still getting used to the forum. XD
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Wdot wrote:. Because Bia could be an awesome bad guy like the Aries in the Hercules series.
The only thing that makes me doubt Bia as a bad guy is Paul seems to favor not having a real bad guy in the strip. Remember Monica noticed that the only bad guys were the ones that they brought themselves. (Sorry can't find the strip)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Mark N wrote:
Wdot wrote:. Because Bia could be an awesome bad guy like the Aries in the Hercules series.
The only thing that makes me doubt Bia as a bad guy is Paul seems to favor not having a real bad guy in the strip. Remember Monica noticed that the only bad guys were the ones that they brought themselves. (Sorry can't find the strip)
Could it be that Bia was misrepresented by the Greeks? Perhaps, instead of being simply the personification of Force, she's actually Forceful Well-Intentioned Ineptness? ;)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote:Could it be that Bia was misrepresented by the Greeks? Perhaps, instead of being simply the personification of Force, she's actually Forceful Well-Intentioned Ineptness? ;)
Why not. It seems they got Justin wrong. Epimetheus is depicted as foolish (his name means 'afterthought') and that in general does not seem to be our Justin.