Like A Nightmare 2015-08-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Like A Nightmare 2015-08-28

Post by Dave »

Aleister Crow wrote:This is a good thing. With the two separated, she doesn't have to hear Jordan saying "I TOLD YOU SO!" when it turns out that it is indeed a trap.
The question is, will whats-her-name accept the fact that Jordon is going to die, and probably be eaten by something nasty, as the price for her own escape from this trap, and her return to the "real" world?

When you're lost in the wilderness, the path to the Promised Land always lies across the rib o' Jordan.

(Places a gallon of milk and a quart of wildcrafted sage honey into the Pun Jar)
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

jwhouk wrote:
warhorse_03826 wrote:was that door there before?
It's visible in all four comics so far.
What about the (splatter?)stains on the floor in the last panel?

hmmm ... it may take a minor time twist, but could the person they heard calling for help actually be Jordan?
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
eee

Post by eee »

I see their skin color problems seem to have cleared up. The fangs are still on full display.
Grantwhy wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
warhorse_03826 wrote:was that door there before?
It's visible in all four comics so far.
What about the (splatter?)stains on the floor in the last panel?
It's been sort-of visible in a few previous panels, but not as clearly as this one. The blood splash on the walls was much more obvious.
Grantwhy wrote:hmmm ... it may take a minor time twist, but could the person they heard calling for help actually be Jordan?
As this is Devyn's nightmare world, I would suspect it's her or an icon of her.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Sgt. Howard wrote:I suspect these two will have a life-altering experience, one that leaves them better people than what they were. Remember, they are standing in a hallway in school- their MINDS are tripping the light fantastic across rotted floorboards and hearing cries for help.
I will re-establish what I had said before- these two are just downright STUPID as well as CRUEL- their verbal attack on Devyn is very typical of what you would expect in a normal human school and quite deplorable... to deliberately prod somebody in a realm where magic is quite real shows the brains of a brick.

They went looking for trouble.
They found it.
Why should they be surprised?
This. So much this.

Is Devyn crossing a line by doing whatever it is she's done to a couple of girls who may not be the cruelest of bullies? By our standards, yes. However, we had to reset our standards for how Phix and other beings in the para world operate before. Why should we assume that what Devyn is doing here is actually out of line? Does it make her a little less sympathetic as a character? Yes. Are we perhaps jumping to conclusions that what she's done is actually damaging the two girls? Definitely. I intend to reserve judgment on that issue until after I see how they navigate the mess they were thrown into.

And I'm a big believer in the whole "if being risky stupid gets your hurt or killed, it's really no one's fault but your own" line of thinking. These two girls attend a para high school, where people have all sorts of powers...and they decided to pick on someone without knowing the para abilities they were poking? That is Darwin Award level idiocy, IMO. If they survive this, I hope they remember to not assume they're safe just because they're at school or because they have some presumptive social standing.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote:
Aleister Crow wrote:This is a good thing. With the two separated, she doesn't have to hear Jordan saying "I TOLD YOU SO!" when it turns out that it is indeed a trap.
The question is, will whats-her-name accept the fact that Jordon is going to die, and probably be eaten by something nasty, as the price for her own escape from this trap, and her return to the "real" world?

When you're lost in the wilderness, the path to the Promised Land always lies across the rib o' Jordan.

(Places a gallon of milk and a quart of wildcrafted sage honey into the Pun Jar)
I think you need to exodus back to the fanfic section...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

jwhouk wrote:I don't think we should worry much, though. It appears it's only a stage she's going through.
The headshrinker agrees its just a stage, she will grown out of it in time.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Julie wrote: This. So much this.

Is Devyn crossing a line by doing whatever it is she's done to a couple of girls who may not be the cruelest of bullies? By our standards, yes. However, we had to reset our standards for how Phix and other beings in the para world operate before. Why should we assume that what Devyn is doing here is actually out of line? Does it make her a little less sympathetic as a character? Yes. Are we perhaps jumping to conclusions that what she's done is actually damaging the two girls? Definitely. I intend to reserve judgment on that issue until after I see how they navigate the mess they were thrown into.

And I'm a big believer in the whole "if being risky stupid gets your hurt or killed, it's really no one's fault but your own" line of thinking. These two girls attend a para high school, where people have all sorts of powers...and they decided to pick on someone without knowing the para abilities they were poking? That is Darwin Award level idiocy, IMO. If they survive this, I hope they remember to not assume they're safe just because they're at school or because they have some presumptive social standing.
I don't think she has even crossed by our standards. Nothing has been shown as deadly or ever truly dangerous. So far this is strictly the ultimate mind-game. While i do agree these two dipsticks are future Darwin Award candidates ( i can just hear then saying, here hold my beer) it doesn't look like they will get them this time. More likely as Devyn walks away with that slight look of embarrassment at being caught by Stali she will break the link and let the two go. Now IMHO the question is when they snap back to reality and see those two walking away who are they going to think did it to them?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

"Hey! This place has a furnished basement! And a Ms. Pac-Man machine!"
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote: The question is, will whats-her-name accept the fact that Jordon is going to die, and probably be eaten by something nasty, as the price for her own escape from this trap, and her return to the "real" world?
"I don't have to outrun the monster, Jordan - I just have to outrun you."

=======================

"Grannie's old. She won't notice until we actually toss her out of the sleigh."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

oldmanmickey wrote:
jwhouk wrote:I don't think we should worry much, though. It appears it's only a stage she's going through.
I know I'm groaning out of it. :roll:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dave wrote:
The Pun Jar acknowledges that you have plenty of credit, thanks to your Fan Art writing contributions.
That was indeed 'Dave-Worthy' there, Mr. JW...

PS- It looks like there is an unkempt cot against that back wall, (or am I not squinting hard enough?)
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

oldmanmickey wrote:
She's no longer on board, seen through the facade, caused a drop in her attitude. :D
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Sgt. Howard wrote:They went looking for trouble.
They found it.
I don't think they went looking for trouble. That's why they picked on a seeming weakling. Trouble found them nonetheless.

All this doesn't seem to jive though. In the previous panel they were shown being overcome by the abyss and now they're fine? Not good continuity.

Now an Atsali doppelganger falls through the floor? I suppose all this will be sorted out, eventually.

And, yeah, this SHOULD be a normal occurrence for a para-school. In that world, only the strong (or protected by the strong) survive. Being bullied is no fun but it can make you stronger so it should be a part of the normal routine. They have to learn to be a monster living among monsters as well as a human living among humans. Different attitudes. Different consequences. Different ways to become prepared for it.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Dave

Post by Dave »

warhorse_03826 wrote:by being empathetic, and wanting to do the right thing...did the not-jordan just get shown the way out?
Interesting. As soon as Jordan is asked whether she would want someone to rescue her if she was lost/stuck/hurt/in-trouble, the floor collapses and probably dumps her into just that sort of predicament.

Maybe this place they're stuck in, really is a projection of emotional and mental states... but not just Devyn's? Maybe their own thoughts and fears are shaping it now?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

KnightDelight wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:They went looking for trouble.
They found it.
I don't think they went looking for trouble. That's why they picked on a seeming weakling. Trouble found them nonetheless.

All this doesn't seem to jive though. In the previous panel they were shown being overcome by the abyss and now they're fine? Not good continuity.

Now an Atsali doppelganger falls through the floor? I suppose all this will be sorted out, eventually.

And, yeah, this SHOULD be a normal occurrence for a para-school. In that world, only the strong (or protected by the strong) survive. Being bullied is no fun but it can make you stronger so it should be a part of the normal routine. They have to learn to be a monster living among monsters as well as a human living among humans. Different attitudes. Different consequences. Different ways to become prepared for it.
If that's an Atsali doppelganger, she's awfully flat chested- yes, I notice these things- I think we are seeing them overcoming the initial shock... or we are seeing them as they appear in the hallway where they are just short of drooling, then seeing them in the nightmare as functional? Not sure- Paul is well known for his curveballs and sucker-punches- remember Shelly dieing of radiation poisening while Shelly the Sphinx watches?
I have no sympathy for them- it was that sort of abuse (with physical punctuation) in High School that inspired me in the Army, a desire to come back home and wallop the shit out those who had done so to me... after training, I realised how stupid that idea was, but DURING training it was a helluva motivator.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

KnightDelight wrote:All this doesn't seem to jive though. In the previous panel they were shown being overcome by the abyss and now they're fine? Not good continuity.
When the girls' skins was grey was how they looked standing motionless in the school (the background of the nightmare was only showing where their brains were), they're only moving in their minds.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Wapsi wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:All this doesn't seem to jive though. In the previous panel they were shown being overcome by the abyss and now they're fine? Not good continuity.
When the girls' skins was grey was how they looked standing motionless in the school (the background of the nightmare was only showing where their brains were), they're only moving in their minds.
Ah, I see. Thank you dor the clarification.
Sgt. Howard wrote: If that's an Atsali doppelganger, she's awfully flat chested- yes, I notice these things-
I should have noticed that as well. It was the hairdo that made me think it was Atsali. Now I see it's just Jordan's upwardly blown/inertia-bound hair as she is swallowed by the whatever it is.

Girl A makes a suggestion that, were it girl B in trouble she would want to be helped by girl A. The nightmare magic-whatever obliges by making girl B fall through the virtual floor to provide the scenerio needed for that to be played out. Must be careful what you think while in there. Thoughts = reality in the magic realm. Especially bad thoughts. Quick! think of being able to eat whatever you want, in whatever quantities you wish, with no caloric, or other bad consequences. If that doesn't do it, think Wapsi Square 7 days a week! If that isn't a happy thought I don't know what is.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Dave

Post by Dave »

KnightDelight wrote:Must be careful what you think while in there. Thoughts = reality in the magic realm, Especially bad thoughts. Quick! think of being able to eat whatever you want, in whatever quantities you wish, with no caloric, or other bad consequences.
That only works if you do not think about a green elephant.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

KnightDelight wrote:Girl A makes a suggestion that, were it girl B in trouble she would want to be helped by girl A. The nightmare magic-whatever obliges by making girl B fall through the virtual floor to provide the scenerio needed for that to be played out. Must be careful what you think while in there. Thoughts = reality in the magic realm. Especially bad thoughts. Quick! think of being able to eat whatever you want, in whatever quantities you wish, with no caloric, or other bad consequences. If that doesn't do it, think Wapsi Square 7 days a week! If that isn't a happy thought I don't know what is.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

This does look like the background where Monica would have run-ins with her demons and Shelly ran into her 'little companion'.