Show It To You 2015-08-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sgt. Howard

Re: Show It To You 2015-08-24

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Ever notice that when idiots go LOOKING for trouble, they are always ASTONISHED when they FIND IT?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
eee

Post by eee »

Uh-oh. Uh-oh. Uh-oh. Suddenly I'm getting a Zimmy from Gunnerkrigg Court vibe. If we're about to go to the Devyn equivalent of Zimmingham, please stop the bus, I want to get off first. :shock:
jwhouk wrote:I wonder if her mom's name is Lilith....
She calls Poseidon, Hades, and Zeus uncles. Unless that's for convenience... or some weird Greek God family tree thing... that means one of her parents is from the first generation of gods, an offspring of Cronus and Rhea. And since the male gods are all uncles, that further means her mother must be Hestia, Demeter, or Hera. I'm holding out for Hestia.
chicgeek wrote:everyone keeps mentioning the 'ten square blocks'. Was that from a strip I somehow missed, or a fan guess that's caught on?
And, yikes. Something bad is going to happen...
It was during the pool party. Devyn calmly pointed out she and Alexis could easily kill everyone in a ten block area.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/just-like-us/

It's not clear if they can do this individually, or if they would have to work together to do it. But they apparently CAN do it.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

chicgeek wrote:everyone keeps mentioning the 'ten square blocks'. Was that from a strip I somehow missed, or a fan guess that's caught on?
And, yikes. Something bad is going to happen...
Devyn brings it up, speaking (apparently) hypothetically ...

... but then her bestie gets upset about her mentioning it.

Ya gotta keep, i say, keep on your toes, boy - the fat ones go right by ya!
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Well nothing has ever said she actually killed everyone in a 10 block area just that they could. What we may see here is something to the effect of unleashing her magic world stretched out to effect people in a 10 block area and if she had pushed it or not reined it in then everyone could have died from the effects. This could also be the trigger for the building of the para school and the MIB getting involved in hiding the paras.

As far as her being a mass murderer if she did kill the whole 10 blocks well i would remind everyone that Stali did wipe out and entire civilization by accident yes but still.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

Not to mention that regardless of who you may be related to, vaporizing(figuratively) everyone in a 10-block radius is probably grounds for being 'put down' so to speak. Perhaps it isn't how Paul does things, but I always assumed that in order to keep the peace and have paras remain relatively safe they have to maintain a "masquerade" and much like the wonderful comic Fable if you go too far... and especially if you do harm to humans one of two things happens to you. A. You go to The Farm or B. Bigby puts you down.
AnotherFairportfan

oldmanmickey wrote:Well nothing has ever said she actually killed everyone in a 10 block area just that they could. What we may see here is something to the effect of unleashing her magic world stretched out to effect people in a 10 block area and if she had pushed it or not reined it in then everyone could have died from the effects. This could also be the trigger for the building of the para school and the MIB getting involved in hiding the paras.
Well, whatever happened, her para bestie was also involved, as the second page i linked up there tells us - some sort of "terrible3 accident".

But, yeah - i can see the "build the para school effect."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Julie

Post by Julie »

So most votes seem to be going towards "this is a flashback"...which is somewhat of a relief, because I'd like to think that she's much happier and less lonely now that she's got some friends (and I'm as curious as everyone else about that referenced incident from her past...and how her powers manifest).

However, if it's not a flashback, I'm really going to enjoy watching those two get mopped off the floor after Devyn and her friends (who would eventually show up and back her up) are finished with them...oh and the reigning Queen Bee who would take issue with this kind of thing...and Atsali's crew of friends as well... :twisted:
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
illiad

Post by illiad »

well, she may be going to show them something freaky like
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/kept-me-safe/

or even.. that 'boiler room' thing'...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:However, if it's not a flashback, I'm really going to enjoy watching those two get mopped off the floor after Devyn and her friends (who would eventually show up and back her up) are finished with them...
Oh, don't worry. I think they'll end up being perfectly safe. It isn't them which will need mopping off of the floor.

They'll simply slide downhill to safely, on a flood of their own involuntarily-voided pee. :twisted:
Septuagenarian

Post by Septuagenarian »

The kill zone size was from a while back. The bright side is, she's not Bud level. (What western hemisphere?)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I'm caught on her "Magic World" coomment. She was having difficulty on the Mythic side as well as the Mundane?
AnotherFairportfan

kingklash wrote:I'm caught on her "Magic World" coomment. She was having difficulty on the Mythic side as well as the Mundane?
No - i assume that she let something slip about magic, and the mundanes picked up on it, and thought it was just nerd/geek fantasy and have been riding her about it.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You get the feeling that Gryphon High has a lot of students that "didn't quite fit" in their former schools?
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:You get the feeling that Gryphon High has a lot of students that "didn't quite fit" in their former schools?
The werewhales and werebrontosauri being cases in point.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
TheCollector wrote:Wait. You're Magic World. Is Devyn in a human school?
Yeah - i was wondering.

Perhaps this is a flashback.

To something that i'd rather not know about.

Red is usually/always a tip-off that Something Very Bad is about to happen in WS.
to quote Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense: "I see Dead People".... i foresee these two goobers getting smeared into paste... they just don't know they're dead yet.

i'm also thinking that her friend at the pool isn't in this scene yet, because she might be one of the survivors of whatever D is doing right now, and doesn't even MEET her until after this plays out...

on another note, do you find it interesting that they were talking about Physics and Dark Matter, with the conclusion that DM is actually the Akashic Records.... what if Devyn DOES actually kill all the mundanes within that 10 block radius... BUT... and here's the good part: they get "reset", or "resurrected" USING the Akashic Records themselves, (however you want to look at it) either by Devyn herself, Devyn's (now) friend, or by one of her relatives. or even the MIB from outside the area of effect, that would fire that Chekov's Gun at least... and the reason that we mundanes haven't heard of some "Massive Explosion - Hundreds Killed at XYZ School... More news at 11 pm" is because the Akashic records were edited and poof! the victims were put back into action at the same time and place they were at BEFORE they died... kinda like how Ash and Emily (Misfile) were changed but have no recollection of EXACTLY when or HOW they were changed by Rumisiel's screw-up... they just... were... and due to some sloppiness on the part of whomever fixes this, there may be a few people that have side-effects from this, but they will be easily handled as "nut-jobs" to be ignored (Yeah, SURE we were all killed this morning by this creeping black goop that came out of the school building and engulfed us all, but then there was this "light" that you followed and it was two teen-aged girls performing a "Magic Ritual" to "resurrect" us all and put us back where we came from... YEAH, Right... how come "I" don't remember this? Hmm?! "I" was supposedly "killed" TOO, right?... MAN, what Drugs ARE you on?... can you share? )
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Ah, but for one brief instant, their brains registered a "cease to exist" moment in their brains.

And THAT has a lasting effect on them.

What I think we may be about to witness is, what happens if you use the Library Portal, and it suddenly stops in mid-transfer?
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Septuagenarian wrote:The kill zone size was from a while back. The bright side is, she's not Bud level. (What western hemisphere?)
I don't know. Bud is more like "What solar system?" level.

It almost seems like it must be a flashback since showing some dark "magical world" wouldn't likely even faze other paranormals.

"Magical world huh? *yawn* Well I see your magical world, and raise you one Behemoth with it's hellish Kraken minions!"

"Oh please! Magic? Krakens? Allow me to introduce you to my own, personal Black Hole! ... Don't worry it's perfectly safe as long as I ... oops!"
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Just to let you all in on whether this is another school or Gryphon High, Paul mentioned on Facebook that this is good old Gryphon and these two are just mean spirited b!#ches.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
AnotherFairportfan

Mark N wrote:Just to let you all in on whether this is another school or Gryphon High, Paul mentioned on Facebook that this is good old Gryphon and these two are just mean spirited b!#ches.
And they think Devyn's "magic world" is a delusion or fantasy?