Fallen Angel 2012-08-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
bmonk

Re: Fallen Angel 2012-08-27

Post by bmonk »

illiad wrote:
jeffepp wrote:They JUST HAVE to roll around in it! And she was so nice and clean before. Now Nudge will have to give her another bath...
gawd, yes... just like a cat..... :shock:

city people forget, though... this is *how it is* in the wild... they show the 'pack' that they are good hunters, proud... In the outer country farms, it is *very normal* to see beasts slaughtered, with lots of blood, etc, and kids understand exactly how meat gets to their plate, its just the 'cycle of life' ... 8-)
Yes. Most farm kids know--or at least they used to know--that animals you name don't end up on the table. At least not your table. Other animals are, more or less, fair game. And no pun.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

chibichibi01 wrote:I have a feeling that when she comes to she will be just as horrified as the others that she slipped into this... atypical behavior.

Maybe.

There's also the possibility that she'll shrug it off with some morning tea.
The "Fallen Angel" title suggests there's not going to be much shrugging.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Look on either side of her nose and you can see her glasses. Thats Phix, and I pray I'm so wrong but...
She. Looks. DEAD!!!! :shock: :o :shock:
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

TheDoctor - I think those are her cat spots, not glasses.

chibichibi01 - She may not be shrugging this off, rather, she's having a Hellboy "This is your destiny" moment!

Stay tooned.....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Julie

Post by Julie »

Graymalkin wrote:Best person I know for that clean-up job is Chihiro Ogino from "Spirited Away." She cleaned up the river dragon, right?

Either her or Hercules, who cleaned the Augean stables.

Or Damage Control from the Marvel Universe.
I'm going to go with Hercules on this one. This isn't a case of pulling out a thorn/bicycle/years of sludge from the side of a spirit. This is a case of messy predatorial ick.

And for some reason, I'm not reading this page as "satiated cat" or "passed out from over-eating." This is reading more like there is some amount of mental shock involved as well...maybe it's because of her eyes... I'm siding with the people who are a little worried/nervous about this.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:And for some reason, I'm not reading this page as "satiated cat" or "passed out from over-eating." This is reading more like there is some amount of mental shock involved as well...maybe it's because of her eyes... I'm siding with the people who are a little worried/nervous about this.
I think you may be right. It looks like a case of Realignment Shock. She's no longer a Good character... at best, she's now a Neutral. You can't eat sapient beings and remain Good.

She was seduced by the dark side of the fork.

(*clinkclink*)
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Jabberwonky wrote:Coming soon to a theatre near you!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14&p=2006#p2006
That is awesomely hilarious! :lol: So many good movies are finally coming out December 22... ;)
Wrecker wrote:Did she eat it or did she f*ck it?
As Monica said recently, "No body, no crime!" :twisted:
TheDOCTOR wrote:Thats Phix, and I pray I'm so wrong but...
She. Looks. DEAD!!!!
She looks like she threw herself off the wagon, not into the Abyss...

...but I suppose that wagon may have driving alongside that abyss for some centuries now.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

The title of this one is Fallen Angel. So this leads me to believe it is Phix. She used to consider herself a monster in her younger days, but she gave it up. I think she has fallen off the wagon and off of a pedestal a certain person might have placed her upon.

I'm not gonna judge her until and if we hear the backstory about the sphinx she killed. If it had been tormenting her for eons, it can be understood why she finally snapped. She had an "I've had all I can stands and I can't stands no more" moment. Now, we'll see if it was a one time thing or if she's gonna need an intervention. She may wake up mortified or still P.O. ed about what set her off in the first place. I'm betting a little of both.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

Wdot wrote:The title of this one is Fallen Angel. So this leads me to believe it is Phix. She used to consider herself a monster in her younger days, but she gave it up. I think she has fallen off the wagon and off of a pedestal a certain person might have placed her upon.

I'm not gonna judge her until and if we hear the backstory about the sphinx she killed. If it had been tormenting her for eons, it can be understood why she finally snapped. She had an "I've had all I can stands and I can't stands no more" moment. Now, we'll see if it was a one time thing or if she's gonna need an intervention. She may wake up mortified or still P.O. ed about what set her off in the first place. I'm betting a little of both.
She may have fallen off a pedestal, but more importantly she did fall back into her old ways. So... I'm really looking forward to when she's coming to (not in a good way, I'm afraid she may be as shocked as M was).
as363

Post by as363 »

And it was such a peaceful week-end . And then wake up to this ..?
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Wrecker wrote:Did she eat it or did she f*ck it? :shock:
Either way, they're screwed!

But I see it like an alcoholic waking up from a drunk. Remorseful or eff-it? It's been a at least a couple a' thousand years since she's let her hair down like this. Maybe she won't want to be good for a while.

(I'm good for two centuries, and all anyone can talk about is the time I ate one of you...)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
MrBill

Post by MrBill »

I don't intend to hijack the discussion of today's comic, but when I was reviewing a number of recent Wapsi comics from recent weeks I was suddenly struck by something that I had not really put together before.

In all types of comics we often - as readers - often focus on the story or the dialog - all of which are very important, and all of which Paul does very well.

Many comics are interesting, many comics are entertaining. However, in my experience, I have found few comics that engage us (me!) emotionally.

However, in reviewing Wapsi episodes from the past few weeks I was struck by Paul's strong ability to express very strong emotions in his characters. In the past few weeks we have seen anger, rage, terror, horror, uncertainty, embarrassment, concern, determination, reflection, scheming, sympathy, insincerity, chagrin, and relief clearly expressed in his characters - plus many others I've neglected to include. The expressions on the characters' faces, how they hold their bodies, even the details of how the hands are positioned and the backgrounds of the panels all add their strong contributions to the overall impact of the scenes.

Very, very few comics can take you through an emotional roller-coaster, which is what Paul has been doing to us recently. We as readers have been caught off balance by a recent number of very powerful incidents, incidents which have made us react emotionally - with concern, with anger, with angst - to the events happening to, and caused by our favorite characters - characters we care about emotionally.

Wow. Just wow.

Way to go, Paul.

-- Bill
Last edited by MrBill on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Ouch.

My first reaction was a bit of horror. One of my favorite characters covered in blood, revelling in the kill set off a primal sort of reaction.

The next emotion was sorrow for Phix. At least for a little while, she's broken.

I think the one to help her will have to be Shelly. Out of everyone in the group, she's the one who understands what it is to be a Sphinx.

I just hope they're still on speaking terms.
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

This could be so very, very bad...
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Fairportfan wrote:More like a gorged lion.
That's the thing. It doesn't quite look like Phix and there is no distended stomach as would be expected after a huge meal. I think part of the problem is that this drawing is somewhat stylized. There is no clear definition around the legs area and the head is too blood covered to make out much. I'm not even sure it's female, but there have been no human-headed male sphinxes presented, so I assume it's female.

Paul has presented something that appears directly related to what has just recently gone before only to find it was not. At the least not the character it seemed to be at first glance. It would be jarring to find out that's Shelly who, upon seeing the carcass and smelling the gore, went totally sphinx and wallowed in the remains after Phix left it. This scene may not even be in the same time period. We may be seeing something from the remote past. The wall doesn't quite seem like a typical library wall.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

aww poor sphix, i have feeling she not in the library any more the walls are stone... not skulls{ much as we all know}, and i also getting the feeling she been expelled as the guardian of the library, so if this is correct where the heck is she
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
illiad

Post by illiad »

Dave wrote: You can't eat sapient beings and remain Good.
But humans have been doing it for centuries, and are applauded as heroes...

The real point though, is cannibalism??? I think not, as it is most likely a 'pack contest' - she has shown her dominance over the others.. But I think shelly may have too much of a human experience to work things out...
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Sphinx-Napped wrote:aww poor sphix, i have feeling she not in the library any more the walls are stone... not skulls{ much as we all know}, and i also getting the feeling she been expelled as the guardian of the library, so if this is correct where the heck is she
That is a valid thought, but I still look at what she did as "temporary insanity" The deceased was goading her after she came to the realization that she had been manipulated into having and giving up a son 57 times (this is similar to telling a rape victim that they brought it on themselves). If that event does not make your trigger loosen then you have never loved anything in your life.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Sgt. Howard: Uh... Phix?... You there, hon?
Phix: BUUURP! Mrrrowl....
Sgt. Howard: I... uh... brought the A-1 sauce you wanted, but ... well.... I guess I'll do a rain check on that, OK?
Phix: BLAURRRF! prrrrrrrowl... scritch my back, please... right at the base of the tail... BRAFFF!
Sgt. Howard: Uh,... Darlin' , you're all covered in ... gore... you know that, right?... Was this anybody I knew?
Phix: 'course not -BRAUUUUF!- you never met this particular Nanny- if you had, YOU would want her cooked in the ground to medium rare yourself. Now- BEUORUUGHF!- scritch my back... put gloves on if you're gonna go wussy on me...
Sgt. Howard: You're all done chewing, right? I mean, I know how you show affection...
Phix: SCRITCH!!! MY!!! BACK!!! NOW!!!
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Mark N wrote:That is a valid thought, but I still look at what she did as "temporary insanity" The deceased was goading her after she came to the realization that she had been manipulated into having and giving up a son 57 times (this is similar to telling a rape victim that they brought it on themselves). If that event does not make your trigger loosen then you have never loved anything in your life.
Actually, as I understand it, Phix and the library have been outside the time loop through everything. She and the library never reset at the end of each cycle. Same for Bia. Phix has met many Monicas and Shellys (or whoever took on their roles during a given time loop), but it would only be the one time (this last cycle) that she had to give up her son. As well as the only time Shelly became a sphinx since its also the only cycle Bia did a breeding with Shelly's father. The only other way it would work is if Phix had been forced to produce another son for every cycle. That seems pretty unlikely.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.