Fallen Angel 2012-08-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
chibichibi01

Re: Fallen Angel 2012-08-27

Post by chibichibi01 »

Mark N wrote:
chibichibi01 wrote:
Wapsi wrote:I'll help clear this up for you guys, there was a Shelly in all time loops, but they were not all from the same mother and father, although they were all a Comanche gal. =)
Thanks! This really helps put our debating on more accurate footing and that's /always/ a good thing.

So, multiple Shellys. /Only/ this one is the Titan/Sphinx hybrid. Does this mean her father in the current loop isn't Phix's son? Or is he? Because the Shelly of the current loop /died./ What does that mean for her father and for Bia? Does this mean that they aren't actually related at all?

I think I confused myself.

EDIT: Current Loop Shelly's Dad is the father of Shelly 57 who is DEAD. This means that he isn't actually Phix's son, or Shelly 57 would have been a Sphinx too. So where is Phix's son? What happened to him after all these loops, because Shelinx was the first one in the time forest. Does this mean Shelly's mother always died of heart failure in all the loops?

SO MANY NEW QUESTIONS.
Your are working from a false premise. The Shelly that we saw die in the forest was the very first Shelly. Our Sphinx is Shelly 57. The Time forest moves backwards so the last time loop was the first to be in the forest. If you look at the strip that Shelly died her last words were "The calendar" which would mean in her time line the calender was still in play while our Shelly had already helped stop it (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/done-here/). I hope this helps you. :)

B.T.W. Paul, that was a great twist in the last panels of that strip.
It's all this Time loop stuff that confuses me. That clears up... a little. Maybe I'm just thinking too hard.
ImageImage
Julie

Post by Julie »

Thanks for the clarification Paul! :) I'd kind of guessed that the characters in the time loop were not necessarily the same every time through (someone else has already referenced Brandi's notebook which mentioned differently named close friends of M, and that's where I got that inkling), but it's nice to have an guess verified!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Leak

Post by Leak »

chibichibi01 wrote:It's all this Time loop stuff that confuses me.
So you're saying... that it throws you for a loop?

*shoots pun jar with a gold asteroid from orbit*
PrettyPrincess

Post by PrettyPrincess »

Arrrghghgh!

Someone with a good grasp on the iterations of the loops ought to go update the wiki...
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

PrettyPrincess wrote:Arrrghghgh!

Someone with a good grasp on the iterations of the loops ought to go update the wiki...
Working on it, Princess. At least, I'm working on the time loop chronology as I do my latest archive trawl. I could use some help though...
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

txmystic wrote:I'm not certain I'm feeling the change in Monica after seeing Phix in her natural element when emotionally/physically/spiritually charged.
It's true, Phix had just had quite possibly the worst shock of her hundred+ millennia-long life, but Monica didn't know that when she saw the result. What was doubtless clear to her, however, is that it could have been her spread out over the library floor like that, and probably would have if Euryale hadn't been there to stop her from trying to be a friend.

Just coming to terms with that kind of knowledge can take a while, during which time you're bound to feel...unsettled...and it can make you hesitant about pretty much everything.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

chibichibi01 wrote:
Wapsi wrote:I'll help clear this up for you guys, there was a Shelly in all time loops, but they were not all from the same mother and father, although they were all a Comanche gal. =)
Thanks! This really helps put our debating on more accurate footing and that's /always/ a good thing.

So, multiple Shellys. /Only/ this one is the Titan/Sphinx hybrid. Does this mean her father in the current loop isn't Phix's son? Or is he? Because the Shelly of the current loop /died./ What does that mean for her father and for Bia? Does this mean that they aren't actually related at all?

I think I confused myself.

EDIT: Current Loop Shelly's Dad is the father of Shelly 57 who is DEAD. This means that he isn't actually Phix's son, or Shelly 57 would have been a Sphinx too. So where is Phix's son? What happened to him after all these loops, because Shelinx was the first one in the time forest. Does this mean Shelly's mother always died of heart failure in all the loops?

SO MANY NEW QUESTIONS.
OK, first things first, the flow of time in the Time Forest was backwards in relation to our universe, so the Shelly we saw die there was the Shelly from Time Loop 2 (nobody knew there was a time loop until after there was a time loop 1, because you have to have the loop back to know there's a loop that needs to be stopped) The current Shelly is the Shelly of THIS LOOP, who was returned from the Time Forest with the Vimana Cell. I guess the Cell powered her uptime voyage from the beginning of the third loop/end of the second loop, or she went crosstime over the loops to get to her home time. I can follow the time dimension math in conventional quantum dynamics, but the logic of fictional sometimes escapes me as I wasn't done by quantum physicists. And why should it be, it's fiction, not theoretical physics. As for why Shelly said she had seen 56 other Shellys, I don't know, maybe she lost count over more than 78K years.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Opus the Poet wrote: OK, first things first, the flow of time in the Time Forest was backwards in relation to our universe, so the Shelly we saw die there was the Shelly from Time Loop 2 (nobody knew there was a time loop until after there was a time loop 1, because you have to have the loop back to know there's a loop that needs to be stopped) The current Shelly is the Shelly of THIS LOOP, who was returned from the Time Forest with the Vimana Cell. I guess the Cell powered her uptime voyage from the beginning of the third loop/end of the second loop, or she went crosstime over the loops to get to her home time. I can follow the time dimension math in conventional quantum dynamics, but the logic of fictional sometimes escapes me as I wasn't done by quantum physicists. And why should it be, it's fiction, not theoretical physics. As for why Shelly said she had seen 56 other Shellys, I don't know, maybe she lost count over more than 78K years.
It is possible that Jin knew that there would be a loop from the design of the machine (after all, her mother built it), the time of the loop would be determined by the end of the Calendar Machines long count (its reset movement).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.